GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Gerbing Union Ridge pants and am not really happy with them, I also have their heated jacket liner and LOVE it.

The pants do not put out enough heat, every time that I have worn them I have not been happy with the amount of heat, I have talked to Gerbing and then did not really offer any good suggestions. I wear flannel pajamas under them as suggested by Gerbing.

If you have the Union Ridge Pants what do you wear under them?

I have a pair of First Gear Winter pants that are bulky but actually warmer than the Gerbings.

Any suggestions?

Wayne

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
My wife has the full set up, and a dual controller worked better for her.

Do you have the dual controller?

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I've found the Union Ridge pants are not quite as warm as the liners, but a whole lot easier to deal with..putting on and off during a ride..and also a dual controller helps with the pants and gloves...

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Gerbing will add extra heat . I think it's about $20 each area. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Gerbings and talked to a different girl, she was very helpful and said to send them the pants, they would check them out.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I wear my union ridge pants over blue jeans and have dual controllers and I have to turn mine down as they get plenty hot for me.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Remember with the upper body warm, the legs do not feel as cold. My pants are comfortable but not hot, like the coat can get. I wear my jeans because the idea of removing the pants was the whole idea for me.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Flannel lined jeans under the Gerbing's. New to me this year but it seems to work so far. Heat seems to be highest on top of the thigh but that may be due to the pant being tightest there. A dual controler seems to work best. Post the results when you get them back. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,750 Posts
i have union ridge pants, they seem warm enough and i only use a single control

bought them from Gerbings in Sturgis, asked them if they were waterproof and they told me some big long story about how they had tested them by riding in a lot of rain, well i think they must have been riding in a truck because it sure doesn't take very long to get a wet butt if your riding a motorcycle in the rain with union ridge pants

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I just wear jeans. Unless it's really cold (like 15-20 degrees), I usually don't even plug in the Gerbing pants. They're warm enough for me just as over pants.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
When it gets cold out you do have to wear more than just heated pants, and jammies, heck even a t-shirt under the jammies would help;).

dooh, theres' that word: layering

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wear my union ridge pants over blue jeans and have dual controllers and I have to turn mine down as they get plenty hot for me.
+1
I wear the same thing, jeans & Union Ridge Pants. Last weekend during the UP-Chuck ride, temps dipped into the 30's during the night. I got chilled & cranked up the heat, I had to back it off cause it was getting too warm.

cycledude said:
bought them from Gerbings in Sturgis, asked them if they were waterproof and they told me some big long story about how they had tested them by riding in a lot of rain, well i think they must have been riding in a truck because it sure doesn't take very long to get a wet butt if your riding a motorcycle in the rain with union ridge pants
Dude,
Last year on the way to Hyder I rode in pouring rain from Sioux Falls, SD to Billings, MT & stayed dry. I do use seat beads so I'm not sitting in the water that's collected on the seat.

YMV
Sleddog

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Took a ride in 16' the other day. No problems with my Union Ridge britches. I do scotch guard my pants, coat, and gloves at least once a year. Never had any problems with water. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
guys, if you haven't tried the flannel lined or fleece lined jeans, they are the BOMB!!! I have a few pairs and love them....great under overpants or by themselves....I bought a paid during the last Pro Bass Shop sale, 19.00 bucks.....

·
Registered
243 Posts
guys, if you haven't tried the flannel lined or fleece lined jeans, they are the BOMB!!! I have a few pairs and love them....great under overpants or by themselves....I bought a paid during the last Pro Bass Shop sale, 19.00 bucks.....
:agree:Yep!!! There good any way you want to use them riding a bike/trike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
You're right about the fleece. I've also found the Sliders Jeans with the Kevlar sown inside are similar in warmth. http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/9001000/pid/9096
Mind you they are a little more pricey. However, they work pretty good under my Union Ridge Pants and are good for some protection during the hot summer months.. Cheers...:doorag:

Clearance - Sliders® Kevlar Motorcycle Jeans
Save 25% While they Last!

Now displaying: Front Blue

Retail Price: $80.00
Our Price: $59.99
You Save: $20.01

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Comparing the Union Ridge Pants with a Gerbings Jacket liner (I own both) is a bit unfair.

The liner is warmer because it is closer to your body - I purchased mine to fit tight and usually just wear a T-shirt underneath. The pants are looser and don't directly radiate heat to your body.

I love the combination with a dual controller. I can turn up the lowers a bit, and still take them off when I reach my destination (jeans underneath).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts