GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's starting to get cold out there, dang it! My lovely wife insisted that I get the rear seat heater control fixed before the snow flies, so first thing Saturday I was at the local GL emporium, getting the replacement fitted.

While there, I saw they had the Gerbing heated jacket liners on sale. Such a deal! So I bought two, one for me, and one for my lovely wife. They only had one controller, so I bought that one, and backordered the other.

When I get the second controller, I'm going to want to wire them up and make everything look as "factory" as possible. I understand it's a relatively easy thing to attach the wiring to the battery, but where do I go from there?

Question:
1) Typically where to you have the pigtails come out for the passenger and the rider, so they won't interfere with anything?

2) Could we run both jackets at full AND run the heated seats and hands grips all at the same time wihtout overloading the electrical system?

3) Any other "gotchas" we should be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance,

Cloud9

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice on placement. I wanted something that was out of the way, yet accessible, and I think you may have the right idea.

My wife has got to be the most heat absorbing person on the planet, so 1/4 might only be ther starting point.

Let me tell you about the time she was shivering on a ride to Ohio. Wearing TWO sweatshirts. In July. During the day. Cloudless sky. Temps in the 90's. I just don't get it.

Thanks!

Cloud9

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
On my bike, I brought the power lead out between the seat and the battery cover and wire tied it to the left passenger hand hold. Mine is connected directly to the battery, and can be tucked back inside the cover if desired. It seldom is....I use the same circuit to attach my battery tender.

We have the "Y" adapter and when I want heat, my wife hooks me up. I use heat about half as much as she does, so it works well. Our Heatrollers are capable of running two jackets, but since we have two they never do.

Not to worry, the 1800 produces plenty of amperage to run any and all electric clothes you will want (or can stand). If your wife is cold blooded, she's gonna love her Gerbing! They will literally cook you if you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts