GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on another forum:

"We've changed our ways and want to do right by our longtime loyal customers. If you have warranty/repair issues please contact <<email addy>>"

Hmmm...interesting.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Interesting. Too little, too late?

I have a jacket liner and the whole left sleeve is dead. Maybe I should try contacting them.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
There is a lot more competition in the heated motorcycle gear business now than there was when the new owners took over Gerbing and did away with the lifetime warranty.

The original Gerbing family is back in business making heated gear with lifetime warranty under a new name
https://gordonsheated.com/index.php/jacket-liner
If I was buying new heated gear i would most likely buy from Gordon’s Heated Clothing.
The lifetime warranty was what convinced me to buy my first heated jacket over twenty years ago, it has never given me one bit of trouble but it’s very nice to know if it ever did they would take care of it free of charge.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If I was buying new heated gear i would most likely buy from Gordon’s Heated Clothing.
The lifetime warranty was what convinced me to buy my first heated jacket over twenty years ago, it has never given me one bit of trouble but it’s very nice to know if it ever did they would take care of it free of charge.
Until they build it large enough to sell it again for a profit and leave you back where you started...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Fair

Until they build it large enough to sell it again for a profit and leave you back where you started...
I don't think that is a fair characterization of what happened. Gordon got sick and was basically forced to sell the business or close it. He did not sell it because it was "big enough."

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I don't think that is a fair characterization of what happened. Gordon got sick and was basically forced to sell the business or close it. He did not sell it because it was "big enough."
True, but the family could have sold it with the condition that the new owners live up to the warranty. I also have an "original" Gerbing's jacket that has lost power to the left cord for the gloves. I'm hesitant to buy either Gerbing's or Gordon's.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
networkguy3 and jlbc212 you both are partially right and partially wrong. I talked to his daughter and the old man did get to the point he couldn't run the business any longer and he sold it to his son and the family had a falling out after that. I'm not saying why he changed his ways but he did. I'm not taking sides either but I did have a jacket liner that failed and had to get it repaired. A couple of plugs were bad and were replaced. When I got it back from Gerbings it cost me $60 for the repair and that included $6 to figure out what the problem was. This happened prior to the conversation I had with the daughter. Because of things like this (according to the daughter) the old man started Gordon's heated gear and according to their web site their lifetime warranty is back. Google Gordon's heated gear and that is their website.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Gordon Gerbing the original starter-owner turned the business over to one of his sons, after a few years the son started having Gerbing heated clothing made in China and laid off the entire crew in the USA including all his family members. Well just like lots of other companies that attempt to move manufacturing to another country they ran into big expensive quality control issues so the sons brainstorm got Gerbing in big financial trouble and he was forced to sellout . Two big things the new owners of Gerbing got was the Gerbing family name and the patented micro wire system. So when Gordon Gerbing was 80 years old he started a new company in the same place they used to be in with most of the original employees, the new company is called Gordon’s heated gear but since they lost the patent on micro wire they had to use a different type of wire.

·
Registered
207 Posts
"We've changed our ways and want to do right by our longtime loyal customers. If you have warranty/repair issues please contact <<email addy>>"

What does this even mean? One statement from only one employee in a forum where they were getting beat up over their change in policy, does not mean a change in policy or even a change in their attitude of customer service.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does this even mean?
Read into the statement however you wish to do so.

I'm simply passing along information posted to a much larger forum than this one by a user/vendor named "Gerbings" from two days ago.

People on this forum have had issues with their products, and some had had success in having them repaired, and some have not.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
would be nice to know exactly what forum you read this on so we could investigate further.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the problem is - that is the extent of the comment that was made.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last year I got back from a 5-day ride up into Canada. I made the mistake of only taking my summer mesh jacket, fortunately I remembered to take my Gerbing heated jacket liner. Every day I had it turned on for some if not most of the day. How did I ever get along without it.

The next morning after getting home my wife asked about the big red spot in the middle of my lower back. It turned out to be a burn obviously caused by my jacket. So I brought up a thread in ADVrider where they went on for 14 pages about Gerbing selling out and having to deal with The New owner. I found the name of the man from the new Gerbing company who graciously responded to some of the concerned folks on that forum and sent him off an email. Mind you by this time it was about 9 pm on a Sunday night. Within an hour or so he responded back with the message that he would have someone from the customer service department get in touch with me.

When I got up the next morning I noticed an email from someone named Margaret who had sent an email to me that same night. Her email said she was from Heated Clothing RX. She voiced her genuine concern over my burn and said she would get back to me the next day with a solution. She said "We will reach out tomorrow & ask a few questions & put things in motion to get this repaired or replaced". After a couple more emails she sent me an invoice number and instructions to send the jacket to her.

I sent the jacket off the next day then patiently waited to hear from them. In a couple of days she informed me it would be a week or so before I heard anything because her tech was off work for a few days. It turned out to be about two weeks (okay with me, I just wanted my jacket back). About 3 weeks after I sent it in I received it back and was excited to try it out. In her last email to me she said that they had replaced the heating element in it.

Two days later I had my first chance to wear it since the repair. Spent the day going over 3 mountain passes in W. Washington and was sure glad to have it on. Over the last couple of years I've noticed that my arms weren't quite as warm as when it was new but chalked that up to old age (the jacket not me, I'm only 74) but on this ride the arms were the first to heat up. It warmed up faster and warmer than ever before. I honestly think it is better now than when it was new.

So now you have a first-hand experience with someone dealing with a real problem and solution concerning their Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner. I have nothing but good to say about my dealings with these folks!...........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts