GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got pants and jacket liner from santa. Wonderful heat.Most of the heat is in the jacket and the pants are luke warm.I assume this is because the pants run off the jacket and there is a drop in the current by the time the pants get the electricity. My question is...can I run a duel set of outputs from the battery and directly connect the pants also? Gerbing sent an extra battery connection.The only thing I see strange about this set up is that there will be two cords coming off the battery instead of one.Any thoughts out there? T...warm in N.Y.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
t - absolutely!. A dual Gerbing controller is definitely the way to go since often you'll want one zone to be at a different setting than another due to different exposure and comfort levels. The Wing has more than enough power to handle it so not to worry in that area.

As far as outputs, you may want to consider installing some Powerlet Outlets for eliminating the messy cords coming out from the seat (Powerlet Products SCREW CONNECT SOCKET - PSO-002) and using
the Powerlet adapters (Powerlet Products PAC-010- BMW/SAE CABLE - S. Duper Plug). Makes the plug in process far easier too.

Enjoy your Gerbing's

DaleC

·
Registered
469 Posts
Gerbing Clothing

i think some folks run 2 dual controllers. That way you can have th sock gloves jacket & pants liner all on different circuits. :22yikes: I don't use electric stuff cause i caint stand th wires, plus i live in th south where i rarely need em. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gerbing

Dale,
I like the look of the plugins but where is your controller? I just ran the wires from my power block up to the steering neck and used velcro to hold the controller to the top of the left fairing pocket.
I didn't want to hang the controller from my belt.
Jerry

·
Registered
177 Posts
GERBEINES

kNOW EVER TOLD I COULD SPELL :oops: Bulldog needs to start working on his bike now that it's in hibernation. But he just likes this board. :D
Hey Dog I'll be with in spitting distance, leaving for WashDC the 1st for 5 days but its going to be raining the whole time, thats ok it beats snow.
roger/orangestreak

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jerry - I have the dual controller where I dial the temperatures on the right side. So far it's working great and I'm very happy with the setup and the Gerbing heated clothing.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DaleC said:
Jerry - I have the dual controller where I dial the temperatures on the right side. So far it's working great and I'm very happy with the setup and the Gerbing heated clothing.

DaleC
Dale,
Very cool set up! Nice, clean, proffessional look.

Might have to tackle that project some day... But for now I guess I'll just continue to be lazy, and keep my controller in my pocket, running to the connector pocking out from under my seat... lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Tis the season for heat, for sure...

I've got a dual controller mounted in the same place - great pos, but I have yet to mount the power sockets. I picked up some radioshack panel mount coax connectors to match the Gerbing plugs.

question for you... how'd you make the clothing connections long enough to reach the fairing mounted plugs? Mine are about a foot short and I haven't seen fit to try some kind of extension cord yet (seems like a messy solution).

BTW, Seasons Greetings!!

Brian

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Brian - I use the PowerLet Products PAC-010- BMW/SAE CABLE - S. Duper Plug. It comes in different lengths 6", 12", 18", 24" and 30" and works with my Powerlet Socket. Not sure if they work with others though, but it's not a major investment in a new plug if it won't work with what you have since they are less than $14.00 through California Sports Touring http://www.casporttouring.com/.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
IBMike - I have to admit I was pretty used to ordering all my accessories on line and waiting for my new best friend the local UPS delivery man bring the packages from Honda Direct Line (I also thought I was about done), but once in a while it's nice to go into a store that has a lot of Goldwing accessories "in stock" and buy it at discount and walk out the door with it. It's also costly since it's only a short motorcycle drive away.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DaleC said:
It's also costly since it's only a short motorcycle drive away.

DaleC
That would be a BAD BAD THING!! ;)

Pretty good site! Whenever I take on my electrics wiring clean up project, I will visit the site again!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree. Can you sale "wallet hole"?

I wonder why most outfits still only carry the SAE style plugs for the heat-troller stuff.

My Gerbing gear uses the coax plugs and my heat-troller plugs are also coaxial. I don't recall if I got the HT from Gerbing direct (dont' think I did).

I think what I need is a spring-loaded roll up extension-type cord on my gear, hahaha.

Oh wait. :shock: That's not a bad idea... a reel in the fairing to extend and connect to the jacket/pants. Hmmm. :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Shooter,

That's exactly (almost) what my right switch set looks like; and just how I plan on installing the plugs on the left.

But, how do you get the cords on the clothing to reach the fairing plugs? Did you make up some extension cords?

B

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bullwinkle,

I needed the round 5.5mm connector to fit the Radio Shack 'N' jack on one end and the old style Gerbing SAE connector on the other end.
I took one of the cords I got with my gloves and cut the wire, then soldered the wire to an extra SAE spare battery connection cable connector.

I used two individual controllers...one for Marlene and one for me. When I ride alone I can separately control my jacket/ gloves and the socks.

The panel that I put the jacks in costs $154 so be really careful. I had to cut on the back side a little. I cut the white wire cover and a connection holder with a razor blade. Also, I heated the air duct behind the jacks with a heat gun and molded it to miss the jacks and wires. Not for the faint of heart.

Shooter Indy

·
Registered
336 Posts
Heat Controller

I'm gonna stick with the temporary dual control for this winter. I plan on swapping for an '05 and will mount things permanent then.

New question,

Can the pants power supply in the jacket be rewired to plug into the heat controler to heat the gloves? I emailed Gerbing but no answer yet.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts