GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a permanent dual controller from Gerbings to install on my '01 Wing. Got the gloves and jacket liner too. No more frosty hands for me.

Looks like an easy job... drill a few holes, run a few 12v cables, connect to the battery, etc.

The big question is where to mount the controller knobs. It looks like the area next to the 4-way flashers / headlight control knob may be a good location.

Before I dig into this project, does anyone have any recommendations based on their installation? Where did you mount your controller swicthes? How well do they function there (reachability, bumping issues, etc)?

Thanks,

K3WR - Jim

·
Registered
759 Posts
K3WR...put em anywhere you want to for convenience. I put mine under the key for the right fairing pocket. both are lined up vertically..one on top of the other...under the key. plenty of room to do that..along with the pilot lights. I threw the stock knobs away and went to a local electronics house and got bigger and better knobs. get your knobs first if you want to change em...they will dictate how much room you will need for mounting. I changed the knobs for easier operation with winter gloves on..besides...black knobs look better than those army green yuckie knobs that I got with my gerbing controllers.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jim - I think you will really enjoy the dual permanent controller, I know after years of thinking I never needed heated clothing I am thoroughly enjoying mine (and frequently too).

There are several options you can do on the install, but this setup has worked well for me. Powerlet sockets, adaptors, and plugs.

DaleC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on the Gerbing's controller. Great ideas and photos too DaleC. I'm going to change the knobs and follow your examples guys.

K3WR - Jim

·
Registered
307 Posts
DaleC said:
Jim - I think you will really enjoy the dual permanent controller, I know after years of thinking I never needed heated clothing I am thoroughly enjoying mine (and frequently too).

There are several options you can do on the install, but this setup has worked well for me. Powerlet sockets, adaptors, and plugs.

DaleC

Dale C and others, I am mounting my Gerbings Dual controller now. I bought a digital volt meter and plan to basically copy Dale C's setup. My question now is :?: Do I have to pull the top shelter to do this work or is there an easier way? I've got Baker air wings on my bike (put on by the dealer) and I do not have a clue how to get them off. I have the GL1800 Manual and it doesn't say how to get the small panels below the right and left glove boxes out. I'm guessing that it can be done. Anyone know how to do this :?: Thanks :wink:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Rick,
I have the Baker air wings and they are easy to get off and on. On the chrome mounting bar on top of each side fairing strip you will see chrome knobs, just pry them off and you will see the top of the screw heads. There is a trick using a rubber band to re-install them, but it's kind of hard to explain. If you want email me personally and I can send you a photo copy (or fax) of the original directions.

Will [email protected]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Running the dual Gerbing permanent, I put the controls in the
right fairing panel, in the blank for the Honda heated grip controller.

If somebody decides to put in the heated grips later it might cause a
problem but with the Gerbing's I don't need them.

I'm running the power lead for the suit out under the right side
of the seat at the front. Still not sure if I want it there or on the
panel somewhere. It is nice in that when I get off the bike if I
forget to pull the plug it just pulls itself without stressing anything.

I didn't nave to pull the shelter, just the right control panel, snaking
the stuff up from under the seat to behind the panel was a bit of
work but I have long fingers 8)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I too use the dual controls and mounted them with velcrow which makes it very easy to take off and put on.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Rick M - sorry I was out of town on a mini southwest tour on my bike so didn't catch your question on the removal of the shelter for the install.

No you don't need to remove the shelter, but you do have to loosen it enough for you to lift it a couple of inches to run your wires under it to run to each side below the respective pockets. Use a wire hanger to run your wires and you'll have no problems. To loosen the shelter, just remove the bolts on each side of the faring (note the respective locations of each bolt) and also remove the bottom nut that holds the rear bottom portion of the faring near your ankle location, this should do the trick and you will be in business.

Measure your drill holes carefully so you can be certain to space them properly and everything should go fine.

Good luck, you'll love the convenience of the controller controls and also the plugin adaptors. It makes for an easy setup when you do need the electrics and when you don't it's not in your way.

DaleC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts