GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those you that have the Gerbings jacket with the dual controller, have you ever had the plug in connecters between the jacket & the controller weld them selves together ?
Yesterday mine did this & there wasn't anyway to pull them apart...in fact I pulled so hard on them that I pulled the wires completely out of the jacket wire plug..

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've had my Gerbing jacket liner dual control for about 10 years now with no problems. You state that it "weld" together that to me implies an electrical arch are you sure the connection didn't corrode?

·
Registered
198 Posts
My wife and I have never had that happen in the 2 years of heavy usage we have given our gerbings jackets, boot liners, and gloves.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Nope that has never happened, but the right glove wire pulled loose.

Send it all to Gerbing, they will fix it free.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Sounds like excessive amp draw, creating heat. Something is wrong, could be just the controller. Ten years of casual use, gloves, coat and pants at times. Used socks a few times, but cannot walk in them. Call gerber !

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Never had that problem. That connection must have gotten some kind of hot to weld itself. :eek:4:

For those you that have the Gerbings jacket with the dual controller, have you ever had the plug in connecters between the jacket & the controller weld them selves together ?
Yesterday mine did this & there wasn't anyway to pull them apart...in fact I pulled so hard on them that I pulled the wires completely out of the jacket wire plug..

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Send them back to Gerbring, they will fix them free. Lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have heard of it here on the board before. I don't believe Gerbing has the life time warranty anymore. Definitely not for the controller since I have had to replace mine twice over 10 years.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
3 year warranty on the controllers. Lifetime on the wiring in the garments.
I have heard of it here on the board before. I don't believe Gerbing has the life time warranty anymore. Definitely not for the controller since I have had to replace mine twice over 10 years.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Other than the connections getting welded was it working OK ? Don't mess with it, call Gerbings for advice, most likely they will tell u to send it back and if u are the original owner warranty will cover it :yes1:

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talked with Gerbings about this problem, and they have had this happen before...trouble is caused by hooking & unhooking the plugs...sometime this causes the pin in the female plug to close up, when this happens the the female & male plug will fuse together...Gerbings told me that maintenance is required for the female end on the plug, they told me to stick a paperclip into the female plug pin split & spread it open (no this ain't a sex joke honest)...plus the head man for the repair department told me not to unplug the controller from the jacket :shrug: they also told me to send them the controller & the jacket for repair under warranty, which I did, and I truly enjoyed spreading the pins in all the female plugs open today :yes1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts