GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of pant liners along with a jacket liner and G3 Gloves for my wife. She is very happy with the jacket liner and gloves. She is not happy with the pants liners. The bottom of the pants liners gets warm, I'd even say very warm, but the top of the pants liners above the knee does not get warm. I sent them back to Gerbing's, and got them back yesterday. They re-sewed the top heating pad. Ok, but they still do not get warm above the knee.

Q1. Is this normal?

Q2. Do the pants liners have heating elements all the way around the pant liner legs? The front of the liners get warm, but not the back.

Q3 Am I asking too much?

Q4. Do I have a valid argument to send them back?

Q5. Do other manufacturers of heated clothing offer a better solution?

Please post here for others or email me at [email protected]

Thanks.

EdH:shrug:

PS: If mama ain't happy, I can't ride happy.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I sell Warm & Safe heated gear. Our Pants liner heat the front thigh to the knee.

I'm not very familiar with Gerbing pants, But Sounds like your pair isn't working right to me. If it is working properly, IMO it's a poor design..

I'd have Have Gerbings send you a new pair.

FWIW Here's the specs on Warm & Safe Pant liners

Technical Information:
* Form Fitting, close fit for optimum heat transfer to body. Made of Spandex fabric allowing full range of movement for any activity and fits easily under your outer garments. Our Pant Liners are not Uni-sex. The Men's and Women's Pants Liners are sized differently. And why not since men and women are build differently.
* Packs into its included zippered pouch.
* Heated zones cover thigh and knee.
* Integrated sock plugs stow in their own zippered pockets when not in use.
* Coaxial plugs engineered by us for the best connection possible.
* Performance fabric: Anti Bacterial treatment prevents odors and Moisture Management wicks moisture away from skin.
* About 35 watts at 12.8 volts.
This garment is designed to keep you warm when plugged into a DC power source or battery pack.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i think she would get better results from a pair of first geat ht overpants

$140 shipped on ebay

they are water proof, insulated for cold weather, have some safety padding in knees and hips, and dont have the hassle of wires

i had the gerbings pants and didnt care for them

·
Registered
609 Posts
Our pants get warm all over........something wrong there, time to contact Gerbing again. I had to send a jacket in twice for blowing fuses, 2nd time they replaced it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Q1. Is this normal? Not in my experience

Q2. Do the pants liners have heating elements all the way around the pant liner legs? The front of the liners get warm, but not the back. Ours warm evenly all the way around from top to bottom.

Q3 Am I asking too much? Retorical question?

Q4. Do I have a valid argument to send them back? Retorical question again?

Q5. Do other manufacturers of heated clothing offer a better solution? Can't help you on this one
Call up Gerbing, explain the issue and what has been done and the results. A replacement pair at this point would be what I would ask for. If you aren't satisfied after the new set arrives, return them and move to another brand.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up on Gerbing's Pant Liners Problem

I called Gerbing's today. I explained the problem with the bottom of the liners getting warm, but not the top. After several minutes of conversation, I was told that the pants are working as designed. There aren't any heating wires to warm the thigh area. I told the rep I was dissatisfied, she told me that since the pant liners were over 30 days old that the exchange period was over. Well, I'm done with Gerbing's. I don't like being negative, so I'll end with a positive statement: we both have the jacket liners and G3 gloves and are satisfied. But my original reason for purchasing the Gerbing's remains unsolved. The tops of my wife's legs get cold. I shall try another manufacturer. As I said before, if Mama's not happy....... :cry:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would not quit just yet. Try calling Gerbing again. As you had these in for work during the warranty period and the same thing is happening, they should still be covered. Ask for someone higher up to make a decision.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would not quit just yet. Try calling Gerbing again. As you had these in for work during the warranty period and the same thing is happening, they should still be covered. Ask for someone higher up to make a decision.
DITTO! I was thinking the same idea.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I agree to, No sale is final until the customer is happy. At least that's my policy.
Tell them you'll take your business elsewhere. Keep going up the ladder if you have to.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Absolutely call them back and don't settle until you're satisfied, but be NICE! Explain to them that you really like their products and that you have multiple jackets, gloves and controls and that everything works great and you just want to get this one issue resolved.

I know for a fact that Gerbing will build custom clothing and if you want/need the thigh area heated, they should be willing to make you a pair to keep you a satisfied consumer.

·
Registered
617 Posts
:wrong:

I will be waiting in the wings, to see how they resolve this issue, if not, I will move right along to another brand for two sets......

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
the heat in my Gerbings pants is only on the front of the legs but for me that works great

it does sound like there is something wrong with the pants u have now, i think if the pants u have now were working rite u would be plenty satisfied

yes they will do custom heat jobs but becareful what u ask for because it might not work the way u think it would

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I would want to speak to someone with Gerbing in the last name. They are the only ones that I would want to speak with. :bow:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Epilogue

My wife and I took the repaired Gerbing pant liners out for a test ride today. The sun was shinning brightly, the temperature was 32 to 36 degrees. The wind was quite strong. As a review, my wife would frequently remind be that the tops of her legs got cold, so we invested in Gerbing's heated clothing in December. We rode 3 times in January and she still complained about the top of her legs. The jacket liners and G3 gloves work great. So I contacted Gerbing's, got a RA number and we sent the pants liners back to Gerbing's. We got them back in about 2 weeks, the invoice said that they were resewn. Today we tried them out. We took the back roads, rode for about an hour, speeds between 55 and 65. My wife wore hose, the pants liner, jeans and leather chaps. I am pleased to report she was comfortable. She could feel heat on the tops of her legs, and she was comfortable. I condsider this days ride the extreem lower temperature limits of riding for us. So mama's happy, that means I'm happy, and we had a nice ride. Funny, didn't see another bike out today!:p:p

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My wife and I took the repaired Gerbing pant liners out for a test ride today. The sun was shinning brightly, the temperature was 32 to 36 degrees. The wind was quite strong. As a review, my wife would frequently remind be that the tops of her legs got cold, so we invested in Gerbing's heated clothing in December. We rode 3 times in January and she still complained about the top of her legs. The jacket liners and G3 gloves work great. So I contacted Gerbing's, got a RA number and we sent the pants liners back to Gerbing's. We got them back in about 2 weeks, the invoice said that they were resewn. Today we tried them out. We took the back roads, rode for about an hour, speeds between 55 and 65. My wife wore hose, the pants liner, jeans and leather chaps. I am pleased to report she was comfortable. She could feel heat on the tops of her legs, and she was comfortable. I condsider this days ride the extreem lower temperature limits of riding for us. So mama's happy, that means I'm happy, and we had a nice ride. Funny, didn't see another bike out today!:p:p
That's Great. I've always been pleased with the service from Gerbing. I'm glad to hear you got it all sorted out. I wear jeans, heated liner, and then my Olympia Airglide overpants (temps below 30, I use the Airglide's wind/water proof liner, temps above 30 I go sans liner). I can easily feel the warmth of the liner through the jeans/pants and have never had to run it full on even down to 4F.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm with Loren, I'm in the market for the waterproof insulated overpants. I enjoy the heated liner and gloves, but feel the heated pants are not needed. JMHO.

Fred

07 Blue wing

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have the First Gear one piece insulated riding suit....no wires....no heating elements...very cozy even down to 12 degrees F. $150.00 very well spent. :thumbup:

The wife wears the Kilinmanjaro jacket & ski over pants...she is also very comfortable.....however she will not ride below 35 degrees.

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts