GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased two Gerbing Jacket Liners, G3 Gloves and portable Dual Controllers. I have hooked up the power supply cord to the battery which was simple enough. The gloves connect to the Jacket Liner at the connections at the end of the sleeve. Now what I want to do is use one control knob for the Jacket Liner and one control for the glove so I can regulate each independently. Unfortunately, the jacket did not come with the Dual2 PDU as outlined on the Gerbing web site. The picture attached shows the PDU but the center connector for the glove is missing, it is just an empty hole.

It gets worse. My jacket liner does not even have the PDU as shown on the web site, but rather two wires coming out of the liner. No way to hook a separate controller for the gloves.

I am sending a email to the dealer about these problems (Vespa Edwardsville as recommended by others here on this site) asking for exchanges. I am not a satisfied customer at this point. :cry: Oh well, such is the risk of doing this type of business long distance.

Ed Hamilton
'06 ABS

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I *believe* Gerbing makes two versions of the liner, one is wired for dual controllers for the gloves and the other is not. Looks like you got the wrong model.

Mine looks exactly the same as yours, but I only got the single controller so I didn't need the dual wired liner.

This is the one you need. It is shown on Gerbings web site.

http://www.gerbing.com/pop/all/dual2.html

Maybe these ones they had on sale were older models before they went to the dual wire configuration??

·
Registered
501 Posts
IF ALL FAILS

You could take the Y cord that comes with the gloves and hook that cord to one side of the controller and the other side of the controller to the jacket.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
They do make 2 versions of the jacket liner. I had to purchase one version as I was in need of the liner in a hurry. And for a small amount of money, about $25, Gerbing will rewire the other way.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ed,

You may want to consider going the other way to swap the controller for the single circuit to match your jacket, unless of course you paid more money then the value of your merchandise. I'm very happy with the single circuit for my liner and G3 gloves.

I rode yesterday @ 38-43 degrees and needed the jacket turned up to the highest setting for the entire ride. I had only a short sleeve tee shirt and my un-lined leather jacket and of course the liner. I found that I probably wont even need the controller and that I could have achieved the same result with a simple ON-OFF switch.

The panel mount single circuit set up made the jacket very warm. The gloves didn't feel as warm but that may have been only perception when having the warmness from the liner spread over a greater area on my chest, arms and neck.

When I say that the gloves didn't feel as warm, I don't mean that my hands were cold at all. They were very comfortable at highway speed. I don't think that I would like warmness feeling in my hands like I get from the liner.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
A photo of a liner setup for dual controls.

My liner came from Edwardsville Vespa.......

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tony. That is exactly what I am looking for. Did you have to specify it or did you just order and that is what you go? Do you use the second post to regulate gloves?

BTW, I got an email back from Edwardsville Vespa that they will work with me to get the right set. I will let you all know how this works out.

ED

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Could someone answer a question for me....

Could you make a small jumper wire and connect the pant connector to the glove connector? This would give you all running from one controller, but allow you to expand to a dual controller later....

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I ordered Gerbings last week, she said all the jacket liners were the dual wired type.

HTH..Randy

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I had the same problem and called them! They made contact to Gerbings and set up a return for which I contacted Gerbings and sent back to Gerbings. They are to exchange to make it right, i'll also post the results. I also am suspect in what is also on sale there, new or old. You would think that by ordering Dual controllers, one would want Dual PDU's. Maybe I should have done more research to "What I was Wanting", so I could verify when ordering or the vender would question to find out what they were going to sell. I was also "sold" 2 splitters for which I did'nt need, sent back to Vespa for refund. Displeased for Shipping charges. I do think that Judy was trying but really did'nt know much about Gerbings Sales. She was very cordial though!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, she is very cordial. And you are also right about the research for the Dual 2 package...Gerbings web site is not very clear or user friendly on this distinction. Judy has arranged with Gerbing to send them back to Gerbing and Gerbing will replace with the correct jacket liners.

So far, it has been very nice working with Judy. She has been quite sympathetic on my problem and is working diligently to resolve. I will be sure to let everyone know how we make out on this order.

Ed Hamilton

·
Registered
181 Posts
I ordered my jacket & pants liners directly from Gerbing along with G3s and perm dual controllers a few months back. The person on the other end said they only wire the jackets as dual if requested, because they sell many more single set-ups so they wire them as single by default.

So mine came set-up properly for my use from the factory. I've had good experiences with Gerbing and I'm sure they will correct the purchase if you contact them.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
153 Posts
We purchased our jacket liners from Jim and Sue at Venco Wings. They were shipped from New Hampshire to Dayton OH in 2 days. Mine was wrong size, called Jim that day, reshipped the following day and correct size arrived again 2 days later. Great service!!

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
daver said:
Could someone answer a question for me....

Could you make a small jumper wire and connect the pant connector to the glove connector? This would give you all running from one controller, but allow you to expand to a dual controller later....
daver,

This what you need.. :D MAYBE NOT :cry:

After reading your post, looks like you have a single controller.
The glove circuit is separate from the jacket(look at Fred's post).

Might have to get the dual controller :D

8" length...$5 USD :D

Check BMW or Harley dealers.. :shock:

later..Randy

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Cardinal Pilot said:
Yes, she is very cordial. And you are also right about the research for the Dual 2 package...Gerbings web site is not very clear or user friendly on this distinction. Judy has arranged with Gerbing to send them back to Gerbing and Gerbing will replace with the correct jacket liners.

So far, it has been very nice working with Judy. She has been quite sympathetic on my problem and is working diligently to resolve. I will be sure to let everyone know how we make out on this order.

Ed Hamilton
Vespa is selling old products..The SAE type connectors(2 wire) are at least 5 years old. :cry:

Good Luck...Randy

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
Vespa is selling old products..The SAE type connectors(2 wire) are at least 5 years old. :cry:

Good Luck...Randy
For the price I couldn't care less! :D I got the one like in the first picture. I got a dual controller and I want to run the jacket and gloves on one and the pants and socks on the second. So it should work fine for me. 8)

The G3 gloves in my size are on back order so I didn't get them yet. Judy sent me a cup with a note to fill it with hot chocolate to keep my hands warm until I get the gloves. :lol:

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
William Anzik said:
INTHEWIND said:

Good Luck...Randy
For the price I couldn't care less! :D I got the one like in the first picture. I got a dual controller and I want to run the jacket and gloves on one and the pants and socks on the second. So it should work fine for me. 8)

The G3 gloves in my size are on back order so I didn't get them yet. Judy sent me a cup with a note to fill it with hot chocolate to keep my hands warm until I get the gloves. :lol:

Bill,

These folks have the gloves at 15% off :D
And they are in Boise,ID

http://happy-trail.com/

HTH..Randy

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
Bill,

These folks have the gloves at 15% off :D
And they are in Boise,ID

http://happy-trail.com/

HTH..Randy
I already paid and got the 20% off. They should be on the way now. But thanks anyway. :)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Bill, better check your order..G3's are backordered at Gerbing's for a good 30 days. :cry:

later..Randy

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
INTHEWIND said:

Good Luck...Randy
the items I received are not old products.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts