GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we rode about 275 miles.
When I first tried to start the bike,battery was dead.Only charged it enough to start the bike,then started riding.
Wife had Gerbing liner,pants and socks on a dual controller.I had Gerbing liner on a single controller,and heated grips.
Also had stereo on,and running lights on.
When we started out everything was working fine.
After some time,my liner stopped heating as well as her pants and socks.Her liner was still working. All the indicator lights were still working,so there was still power to both controllers.
I have an analog volt meter,which was showing less than 13 volts. I turned my controller off,and there was no change.Wife turned her controller off,and it jumped up over 13 volts.I turned off the running lights,heated grips,and stereo,and the voltage jumped up even more
I didn't have any problem with starting the bike.

Is it possible that the electric gear quit simply because the battery wasn't fully charged?
Maybe my battery is about to give up? I think it's three years old.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Jeff, If you have a digital Multi-meter, pull the left side cover off and with the bike running test the battery voltage. You should see at least 14 volts with out any load on the battery.

With the motor off you should see at least 12.7 volts on a good battery.

Jim :coffee1::biker:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff, If you have a digital Multi-meter, pull the left side cover off and with the bike running test the battery voltage. You should see at least 14 volts with out any load on the battery.

With the motor off you should see at least 12.7 volts on a good battery.

Jim :coffee1::biker:
My digital meter bit the dust a few weeks ago and I have not replaced it yet.
The analog meter installed on the bike shows over 14 volts with the bike running and no load other than lights,but less than 12 when it's not running.
Probably time to replace the multi meter.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the clothing out to the bike today and hooked them all up and started the bike.Her clothes all worked well,but mine did not.
I went and bought a voltmeter.
I have 14.1 volts at the battery with all her electrics on,drops to 13.7 when all the other accessories are on.
I have power to my outlet,but it is not pulsing any more.I will call Gerbing tomorrow.
So,I'm not sure why hers didn't work yesterday.They are working now!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Did you try her controller on your vest and yours on hers to see if it would work? Cold weather will tell on a weak battery. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Jeff - did you run a continuity check on the clothes?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Did you try her controller on your vest and yours on hers to see if it would work? Cold weather will tell on a weak battery. Good luck.

This is good advise, I was going to say the same thing as I've had
a controler go bad and it acted as you discribed...

Good Luck..

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes,forgot to add that little tidbit..
My liner worked on her controller,and her liner did not work on mine.
Because of that I did not check continuity on the clothes.I think that pretty well narrows it down to the controller.The outlet has power,but does not pulse,and the controller will not shut off.
As for the battery,I'll make sure I keep the battery tender on it,and we'll see what happens next time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Man,,, My ol lady would divorce me if her heated jacket didn't work..... Good Luck,,, I hope that you find the problem before it becomes a Civil Court problem that costs you your house and half of your retirement. Just MTCW..... Al :yes::yes::yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts