GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gerbings jacket liner as well as the pants liner that I purchased "Used" a couple of years ago and I am just now hooking them up and trying them out. I plugged the jacket liner in first and after several minutes it seemed to be warming up fine so I plugged the pants liner into the jacket and while waiting for the pants liner to warm up I noticed that the in-line fuse holder was getting extremely warm, actually I would consider it to be hot. I immediately turned off the Gerbings and unplugged both jacket and pants from the system and decided to check the fuse and holder to be sure there was no corrosion or loose coonection that may be the cause. Everything there looked fine so I decided to try again to see if I got the same results. I first plugged in just the jacket and left it on while monitoring the temperature of the fuse holder and it was cool to the touch. After several minutes and feeling that all was OK up to that point I plugged the pants into the jacket and very shortly could feel the fuse holder getting hot. The input and output wires to the fuse holder are not hot at all, just the fuse holder itself and only with the pants plugged into the jacket. I checked the resistance of both the jacket and pants and read 2 to 3 ohms through each. Can anyone one tell me if these are the correct resistance readings? The fuse is a 5 amp fuse and I also want to know if this is the correct size. The wiring was connected directly to the battery, in case anyone was wondering how I connected the system. Also, I only have the on/off switch and do not have a controller.

I know I should probably contact Gerbings with these questions but I know there are alot of folks out there with knowledge of the Gerbings products and I thought I could get answers more quickly here.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rob R-

We just received some Gerbing stuff via Chromeworld and each battery hookup came with a 15 amp fuse. Given the power these items take, 5 amps is a bit small.

Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just to say it again, 15amp fuse is the corrcet size fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I remember correctly the Gerbing jacket draws 77 amps, and the pants draw the same. If that is correct, you would need a fuse of at least 12 amps to carry the load. 15 amps would be the correct size. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...I guess I am extremely under fused! Thanks guys, I will look into this further. Has anyone ever checked the resistance of the jacket or pants?

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
Rob,

Jacket liner 77 watts,6.4 amps.

Pants 44 watts, 3.6 amps.

Total watts 121.
Total amps 10.

Using ohms law..R=E/I:
E is volts,12VDC, I is amps. R is resistance.

Jacket..1.875 ohms resistance.
Pants..3.33 ohms resistance.

Get yourself the controller too. :D

HTH... Randy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Randy,

That is around the resistance readings I was getting on the jacket and pants. I guess I will get a 15 amp fuse (and a new fuse holder) and I think I will be in business. I appreciate the input I received from everyone that responded. Hope I can do the same for you sometime.

·
Registered
370 Posts
check the connection in the switch mine was loose causing high temp in the wires.I use the wiring from a battery tender hookup

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had the same problem with my wife's Gerbing jacket liner and Gerbing gloves. With the gloves plugged in, the connector between the Heat Troller and the jacket became very hot. I called Gerbing and they asked me to return the Jacket and Heat Troller to have the "old style" connectors replaced with a newer version. (The old style is a rectangular plug that has an exposed negative post right next to a protected positive slot). They said that after some time the old style connectors break down and excessive resistance occurs. If you have the old style connectors, may be same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts