GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I have a 4 month old VTX1300R with the Honda windshield :D . It is great because it is cool temperature wise to ride on it. I previously owned a GL1000 the second year they were produced and also a Kawasaki 900. I installed a Vetter fairing on both.
Now my boss (wife) wants me to trade the VTX for an new 06 1800 Wing.
The reason I sold the 1000 and the 900 was it was very hot to ride behind the fairing. It is now about 25 or 30 years later :shock: . I don't want anything that will make me perspire enough to have wet hair after riding. I guess my question is "Is it hot to ride behind the Wings fairing"?
I see they have some vents that can be adjusted open.
The dealer won't allow test riding as a company policy According to a sales person)? :mrgreen:
Rick Case Honda in Weston Florida
What is your opinion?
TIA

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The wing it the best touring bike I've owned. It is the best at running down the highway. Gets a little warm in the 90's. But I think that is to be expected if you want to run interstates and posted speed or higher. If you want to travel with your wife, then I would recommend it highly. If on the other hand you will be running to the store or just a little riding around town, its over kill.

It all boils down to personal preference and how you are going to ride.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If you want wind, don't bother with a wing. A wing is about comfort and luxury, with a little sport thrown in the mix. You sounded like you want a VTX with wind, so toss the windshield. On the other hand, if you want to run 500 miles a day and arrive ready for a quiet dinner without being all bent out of shape, a wing will work. But if you want to go somewhere and remain in the cool in Florida, get a car with an air conditioner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
To All

I'm new to the site and new to Goldwings. In my early married life I rode the sport bikes, but gave them up to raise the family. After the kids were grown and out on their own for the second time, (they go away, but they come back) I bought a Winger, 05. Just for Grand Pa and Mama. For the first 3 months after purchase my wife hated me, the second 6 months she hated the Wing. For the last 5 months she loves both me an the Wing. We ride together when ever we can now.

My advice is if your backseater wants a Wing, run the shop an get it. It is the most comfortable bike you'll ever ride. You will not regret getting one….And yes, it can get hot at a traffic light in August but consider in North Alabama we ride year round. In the winter it’s still fun to ride. The fairing helps.

I hope you’re sociable, because every time you stop to get off the Wing there’ll be someone there asking you about it. Maybe it’s a southerner thing but, we meet people that want to talk about the wing every time we stop.

You will not regret getting one….

Regards to all

2-me

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
WING1800RWC said:
I don't want anything that will make me perspire enough to have wet hair after riding.
TIA
Are you serious? ROFL..... :roll: Sounds like you better stay in the house with the a/c cranking if you're afraid of wet hair. THIS IS FLORIDA DUDE......... Sweating is part of Florida living! Dang, I sweat my a## off walking 30 feet in my underwear to get the morning paper at 6:00 AM.

No such motorcycle available. Your X is cooler to ride down here than a Wing. The Wing does have a full fairing! FYI.. The vents on the Wing are totally useless and a/c is not available yet.........

Stand out in your driveway for a 1/2 hour wearing a helmet. Tell me how wet your head is. If you're worried about wet hair in Florida, you better shave your head..... :shock:

Oh.... Welcome to the board..

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Red......you crack me up.....that was good laugh.....

IT'S FLORIDA......EXPECT SWEAT!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had my 2001 GL1800 for about 2 months now, (bought it from a Gentleman who listed it here on GL1800riders.com). It has been the best purchase next to my Taylor Guitar and my wife, (Oh wait I DIDN"T buy her). Anyway, I have ridden it everyday except for the really rainy days and I have enjoyed it tremendously. I even rode it on the 98-100 degree days and I was fine. I did invest in a cool vest, (I got mine on Ebay for
$31.95 including shipping) and the vest kept me comfortable on those scortching days. Riding the Wing is all about wind management and I invested in the Baker Wings for underneath the mirrors as well as a Tulsa Windshield with Vent. You do get warm at stoplights even with the cool vest but it is definitely comfortable. I say go for the 2006 Goldwing especially since your wife is behind the purchase of the best bike on the road. I have only been able to get my wife to ride with me once so far but I am winning her over with the support of my fellow Goldwing riders in my home town. You are really blessed to have a wife that supports your bike buying/riding. Take the plunge and buy the Wing.
The most fun I ever had in the rain was just on Labor Day riding in the parade and then going for a ride around the Natural Bridge area here in KY. We all had headsets, except for 1 guy on a VTX and we were still able to communicate and we just had a plain 'ol BLAST!
You do meet the nicest people on a HONDA.
Let me say it again-TAKE THE PLUNGE, buy the Wing!
Maybe your wife might let you get another cruiser later. Don W.

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
steve s said:
Red......you crack me up.....that was good laugh.....

IT'S FLORIDA......EXPECT SWEAT!
I apologize! It's hard for me to take anyone serious that worries about riding a motorcycle in FLORIDA and sweating! :coolit: Heck, the asphalt alone will fry your buns! When I wrecked in May I was flat on the asphalt for about 10 minutes or so. I fried on one side. I was waiting for someone to take a spatula and turn me so I could get done on both sides! :wink:

The Wing is the hottest bike I've ridden in Fl besides the Valk std & Tourer. When the fans come on those two Valks your chestnuts roast. :?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Don't apoligize.......I'm still getting a chuckle out of it. :D :D

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Red said:
Sweating is part of Florida living! Dang, I sweat my a## off walking 30 feet in my underwear to get the morning paper at 6:00 AM.
Mental note to self, DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR RED'S HOUSE AT 6:00AM :!: :!: :eek:4:

:wink:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah get the Wing

I have an 03 VTX1300. Over 50000 miles on it now. This weekend I got my Wing. You will NOT regret it. I have only been able to put 100 miles on the Wing sence I picked it up Friday. But I can tell already. Yeah get the Wing.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Red said:
Dang, I sweat my a## off walking 30 feet in my underwear to get the morning paper at 6:00 AM.

:roll: :22yikes: :eek:

I

·
0 Posts
Red said:
WING1800RWC said:
I don't want anything that will make me perspire enough to have wet hair after riding.
TIA
Are you serious? ROFL..... :roll: Sounds like you better stay in the house with the a/c cranking if you're afraid of wet hair. THIS IS FLORIDA DUDE......... Sweating is part of Florida living! Dang, I sweat my a## off walking 30 feet in my underwear to get the morning paper at 6:00 AM.

No such motorcycle available. Your X is cooler to ride down here than a Wing. The Wing does have a full fairing! FYI.. The vents on the Wing are totally useless and a/c is not available yet.........

Stand out in your driveway for a 1/2 hour wearing a helmet. Tell me how wet your head is. If you're worried about wet hair in Florida, you better shave your head..... :shock:

Only a true biker would wander the neighborhood in his skivvies at 6AM.

Are you trolling for a foxy widow neighbor Red? :p :lol:

Ride safe...and sweat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red said:
WING1800RWC said:
TIA

Christy Alli also sweats walking 30 feet so maybe Jenny craig can help you also :lol:
Anyway I have resided in Fort Lauderdale for 36 years :shock: . Every bike that I have ridden with a fairing has made me sweat so bad my hair was wet like getting out of a swimming pool :roll: . Today we road 2 up to Tamiami trail, then over to route 29, then north to I-75 and home (about 4-1/2 hours). No sweating or wet hair on either of us like a fairing type bike (both of us have HJC brand vented helmets from Rick Case Honda). Maybe it is because the windshield allows air to flow below below it. I don't have lowers. I know you are looking for a laugh (or are maybe balding without wet hair) however I though perhaps the wing fairings may have vents for cooling :idea: . Apparently not from the answers here. Looks to me like wings with fairings are made for older gents in colder climates. I am only 64 years old. Maybe I should check out the RUNE :idea: LOL :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If air is what you want, get one with a windshield vent and a pair of Baker mirror wings.

Not perfect but a great improvement.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Just get the GW and then work it out.

You can even cut down or remove the windshield and then put the baker wings (scoops) on the side of the fairing.

Just get it! :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Joking aside, Richard and Don have it right. I ride in California where is one afternoon I could be in 105 degress and a half hour later is 64 :) :D :) So it is very useful to be able to enhance cooling or to stay warm with out changing bikes or taking things off in the middle of a ride. The Wing is a touring bike and is designed to be comfortable in the wide variety of conditions one can experience on a cross country trip.

The Baker Air Wings are a big help in cooling. The stock vents are ornamental. The stock fairings block the air pretty good, so I can see it could be very uncomfortable in Florida, a state I grew up in back when it used to be in the South. If your wife is suggesting a Wing, she may be suggesting she would like to ride, and believe it or not there are some great places to ride that are not in Florida. (Most of them, actually.) In the Carolina's there are some nice hills that the locals call mountains. From Colorado west, there are some real mountains. Both can very cool (in both ways) riding, and are places where you will very much appreciate the fairings.

The Bakers will do a good job on your torso, but the stock windshield will prevent the blast of air that may be needed to circulate in your helmet. For Florida summer riding, you might want to get a very short shield. There are aftermarket shields that should be able to do what you want. I also have Baker Mirror wings that attach below the mirrors that might blow air more toward your face, but I have not installed them yet. And, don't forget, there is the winter. Even in Florida.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Red said:
WING1800RWC said:
TIA

Hmmmmmm!!, sounds exactly like Houston in the summer.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock: :lol:

Gotta love Red,
Man is straight to the issue and doesn't mind sharin' his thoughts, gotta respect a man for not compromisin' even in the midst of folks givin' him grief. :wink:

My hat's off to ya Red and I do agree with ya about sweatin' yer a$$ off in FLA when ya ride, when we go see relatives down there I take every doo-rag I got plus extra towels. :roll:

:flg:

·
Registered
202 Posts
WING1800RWC said:
The dealer won't allow test riding as a company policy According to a sales person)? :mrgreen:
Rick Case Honda in Weston Florida
What is your opinion?
TIA
1. Find a "decent" dealer that allows test riding.
2. Buy the wing.
3. Put on Baker Wings.
4. Enjoy the wind when you want or turn them off when it is cold.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts