GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spending most of my time getting the new 2016 GL ready to ride so that if/when warmer weather arrives in NE Ohio, i can ride and not install!!! Getting close to being all complete. Puechased a set of Kuryakyn 6383 grips. Designed to install over OEM grips. Started the install on the clutch side and not the easiest insstall but LOTS of patience and i got all 3 pieces on. Went to tighten 1 of the tiny screws and after a few tunrs, IT BROKE OFF!!! Fortunately, there was enough of the stud left to turn out. However, i had to remove everything i did because i could not get another screw to go all the way in. While removing the grips, scratched the black cover AND the rubber insert. Not happy. Did not even try the throttle side. Come to find out, the threaded pieces were not threaded completely OR some paint build up. Happened to have a 4-40 tap and re-tapped everything. Contacted Kuryakyn, explained the dilemma, and they are sending me all 3 pieces, new screws, AND after i told them the kit came with chrome ends and the grips were the black ones, they are sending me knew black ones. So happy about that...

So i am looking for any helpful install tips, etc. After that cluster, i am not sure i want to install them at all but at least i'll have a complete set. I am find with the OEM's but i like the all black 6383's. Had them on the '06. Soooo looking for any ideas and ya'll can be brutally honest...lol

And lastly, thank GOD. anyone ever install a 12 volt outlet, powered at the OEM plug behind clutch side cubby and instead of installing it in the cubby as some do, make the cord longer and pop it into the black rubber piece that holds the intercom plug? I did that on my '06 and used a rubber cig plug. This way, if i needed to power up an acc, gps, etc. i would not have to leave the cubby open. Again, ideas, opinions...

thanx,
tom

·
Registered
386 Posts
I put my power plug inside the cubby tp protect from the weather. It also supplies power to my Sena Freewire which I want out of the weather. I also installed a second plug inside the right cubby. Same acc plug same connector type. The connector on the right side was put there by Honda for the optional heated grips. I just wear thicker ski gloves. The plug on the right side powers my TOM TOM GPS.

·
Registered
316 Posts
the nice thing about midwest weather is that it lets you catch up on your projects.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
the nice thing about midwest weather is that it lets you catch up on your projects.
I think you're being overly optimistic. You're one of those " the glass is half full" guys. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't anything good about winter, not saying that there aren't any good attributes for the seasonal change, just nothing that I can appreciate. :serious:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Spending most of my time getting the new 2016 GL ready to ride so that if/when warmer weather arrives in NE Ohio, i can ride and not install!!! Getting close to being all complete. Puechased a set of Kuryakyn 6383 grips. Designed to install over OEM grips. Started the install on the clutch side and not the easiest insstall but LOTS of patience and i got all 3 pieces on. Went to tighten 1 of the tiny screws and after a few tunrs, IT BROKE OFF!!! Fortunately, there was enough of the stud left to turn out. However, i had to remove everything i did because i could not get another screw to go all the way in. While removing the grips, scratched the black cover AND the rubber insert. Not happy. Did not even try the throttle side. Come to find out, the threaded pieces were not threaded completely OR some paint build up. Happened to have a 4-40 tap and re-tapped everything. Contacted Kuryakyn, explained the dilemma, and they are sending me all 3 pieces, new screws, AND after i told them the kit came with chrome ends and the grips were the black ones, they are sending me knew black ones. So happy about that...

So i am looking for any helpful install tips, etc. After that cluster, i am not sure i want to install them at all but at least i'll have a complete set. I am find with the OEM's but i like the all black 6383's. Had them on the '06. Soooo looking for any ideas and ya'll can be brutally honest...lol

And lastly, thank GOD. anyone ever install a 12 volt outlet, powered at the OEM plug behind clutch side cubby and instead of installing it in the cubby as some do, make the cord longer and pop it into the black rubber piece that holds the intercom plug? I did that on my '06 and used a rubber cig plug. This way, if i needed to power up an acc, gps, etc. i would not have to leave the cubby open. Again, ideas, opinions...

thanx,
tom
Hey Tom....depending on what you put in your left side cubby....this could work for you.
I don’t put much in there , so the little space I lose is of no consequence. The cubby is still usable....but you have to deal with the wires.....no biggie.
If you want to remove the plug...you can simply replace the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
thanx,
tom
I had the same problem with my Kuryakan grips. I ended up stripping some threads and had to get a replacement grip from Wingstuff. They were great. Once I received my new grip, I threaded the screw in from the back side of the grip first, because there was too much paint covering the threaded holes. By being very careful I was able to get the screws threaded into the holes and all of the paint removed. Then, I installed the grips. Make sure the threads are clear before you install the grips. If they're not clear, and you don't have a means to clear them, then get replacements.

The other option, which I did not use, was to get some quality replacement screws that would stand up to the torque required to install the screws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts