GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at my rear Avon and it is worn out. 9500 miles and it's down to the wear indicator. I always run one up, wife won't get near it, and kept it at 41 lbs just like the book says. So I have been shopping and remembered that there are "Dark Siders" who seem quit pleased with the performance. So my question is once I get a CT, from online guys like Tire Rack (have had great luck with them on tires for the car) have any of you run into problems getting a local Motorcycle shop to mount them? I haven't asked yet but I am pretty sure the local Harley/Honda dealer, where I bought the bike, would NOT mount them for me.

Any tips?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will need to go to a small bike shop to get it put on Honda will not do it they will say you lost your mind . You will love the c/t have a great day

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Some shops will, some won't, just ask.

I got mine mounted at a car tire shop for about $12. Just ask around.

Welcome aboard, you are gonna like it!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have found that a tire shop with a tire machine that they use to mount those high dollar mag wheels can be use to mount a MC tire. Tell them it is going on a trailer
thomas

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have found that a tire shop with a tire machine that they use to mount those high dollar mag wheels can be use to mount a MC tire. Tell them it is going on a trailer
thomas
That's what I did and they charged me $5.00. I added Dyna Beads when I got home, for balancing.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The shop where you buy the tire ought to have a couple tire irons laying around. Have them lay some plywood on the floor and lever the thing on.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roythomas, you got me thinking. My son works at Bigfoot 4x4 in St. Louis (Yes the original Monster Truck) and they have a customer shop. In that shop they have a tire machine that works on my 16" mags on the Civic. They do all the way up to 24" really high dollar wheels/tires. I've had my son dismount and mount those mags in the past. I guess we could give it a try ourselves. I used to work in a tire shop, in the 70's, so I am certainly familiar with how a tire goes on and off of a wheel. I taught him how to do it.

About the front tire. Is everyone still using MC tires or is there a magic CT that people have been using?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Roythomas, you got me thinking. My son works at Bigfoot 4x4 in St. Louis (Yes the original Monster Truck) and they have a customer shop. In that shop they have a tire machine that works on my 16" mags on the Civic. They do all the way up to 24" really high dollar wheels/tires. I've had my son dismount and mount those mags in the past. I guess we could give it a try ourselves. I used to work in a tire shop, in the 70's, so I am certainly familiar with how a tire goes on and off of a wheel. I taught him how to do it.

About the front tire. Is everyone still using MC tires or is there a magic CT that people have been using?
As mentioned above, while my Honda shop will, most wont. If I could not do it myself, I would take it to a car tire shop, and tell them its for a trailer. I change my own tires with a modified Harbor Freight tire changer

You mentioned above that you have experience, so even if you have to wrestle it on with tire irons, do it your self. The only advice I would give you is to ensure the tire is extremely warm. Put it in a small room with an electric heater, or leave it in a hot vehicle for several hours will help.

about the front tire........I currently have a Battle Ax, dual compound, rear tire mounted on the front rim. I think that would work great for straight line riding (interstate), but I have been disappointed with the way it handles the twistys. Cant complain about the mileage of the Battle Ax, I have over 7200 miles on it, and its not showing any signs of wear at all. I will be going back to Bridgestone 709 very soon.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The Battlax 45 I had on the front of mine went 18k before it was cupped so bad I couldn't stand it any more and swaped it out for a Pirielli Sport demon. The AX had plent of rubber left on the center at that mileage but the dual compound let it cup so bad it wasn't fun to ride.
I have a simular set up as Sonny with the HF and Mojo lever tire changer. Once I learned the right techqunes to use them it works great.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I broke the bolt on my Mojo bar trying to get the Conti. off...I got if off the rest of the way with the HF bar....
as for putting the new CT on...(Kuhmo)
I got 1/2 way and gave up!
took it Walmart & let them finish....cost $3.75!
I think I'll start al my CT's and let Wally finish the job!;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts