GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, I don't know what it is about growing old that sucks, but getting cold natured has to be one of them...

Three years ago, you would have found me playing ball outside with the family in January during 32 degree weather in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt, feeling perfectly comfortable.

This year though, it's 45 degrees outside and I find myself in a jacket, sweater and thermals. Seems no matter how high the thermostat is set, I'm always cold in the house, and it sucks.

Last year when I got my wing, I rode a documentable 300 days of the year (1/10/08 to 1/10/09), stopping only for driving rain and below freezing temps -- for fear of black ice.

This year in the first two and a half months, I've been able to pull the bike out of the garage about 6 times and get to where I want to go comfortably albeit my hands were frozen by the time I got there.

I know. I know. Just "bundle up" or "just go spend $2000 on electric clothes" or "man up" or whatever, but it's not that simple. Spending great deals of money right now so that I can ride isn't quite as easy in this economy as it was. Well, yeah, I guess I could just put it all on a credit card and be miserable, but isn't that what got us here in the first place?

This is where age meets PMS. I'm there.

Wayne

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
SG;
When was the last time you had a checkup?. It sounds like this is coming on fairly quickly. Might be a good time to check out the old two stoke.:roll:

I made two sets of electrics for $50 and the controllers. PM me for info.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
A good check-up should be inorder annually, but I think your right, a lot has to do with growing old.

We have our temp set in our house at 67.
My wife is always turning it down, I'm always turning it up.

Surprisingly I can tell when she turns it down by 1 DEGREE.

As far as riding in cold weather, I rode snowmobile's for 10 years,
was in the Army on bivouac, and froze my @ss every time......:thumbup:

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
I find that when I get "out of shape", I get cold quicker. When I'm in the gym on a steady basis, I stay warm much easier. Blood flowing better I guess?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I would get a thorough check up. Sounds like it is happening way too fast. I do not know your age, but a check on your thyroid would be a good idea. Tumors on the thyroid are easily fixed and can cause a real problem if left go. The hypothalamus or pituitary could be sending improper signals to the thyroid or any number of other things could be a problem, most are easily fixed.
I have always been easily chilled and find it to be a slow progression as I age. 65 now and I wear the Gerbings any time it is below 35 degrees. (like this morning, it was 25)

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
$2000 on heated gear? lol Yikes!!

$220 gets ya a 100 watt liner & controler. Give me a shout

As we age we feel colder. Happens to most everyone.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm 45 and the Electric Vest Clicks on at 50:shock:
Might be that I'm in Texas and Love the Heat.
Can't wait for 100 degrees to get here again.
I hate Cold.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm 45 and the Electric Vest Clicks on at 50:shock:
Might be that I'm in Texas and Love the Heat.
Can't wait for 100 degrees to get here again.
I hate Cold.
:agree: Right there with ya, when the temps get into the 50's.....the heated gear is turned ON. Come on summer (86 here today)

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
As my good buddy always tells me....It ain't hell gettin old, just damn inconvenient".
I never had any problems with the cold until I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Been cold ever since.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Getting cold

Electric clothes do not cost anywhere near $2K. I prefer GERBINGS. A jkt. liner, gloves & all controls will come in less than $400.00.
Some prefer SAFE & WARM @ about the same price.
Gloves & jkt. liner should fix you right up.
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
341 Posts
Heated Clothing = Warm Comfort

Heated clothing does not cost $2000, I bought Gerbing's, 2 jacket liners, 2 pair of G3 gloves, one set of pants liners and 2 dual controllers. Total cost, about $1,250. I rode in 28 degrees, at 78MPH for about 15 minutes. The tips of my fingers got cool, but the rest of me was comfortable. Another ride, 33 degrees, I rode the back roads, 55 MPH, for over an hour, everything was very comfortable. More important is my wife was warm too, although the pant liners didn't work that well. Being wet or cold makes the most wonderful road, miserable. I put the investment in heated clothing in the same category as getting heated seats in a car. You don't know what you are missing, but if you have them, you won't get another car without them. I suggest you get a jacket liner, a pair of gloves, and a controller. Stay warm, enjoy the ride. :p

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
55 age yes, 45 does seem a bit young for this. Damp days will do to, I find cooling off after eating a meal. About an hour later all better and warm agian. Fleece jackets, shirts are cheap and instant warmer with body heat. We wear just fleece jacket with Gerber coat on cold days our riding. :eek:4:(with standard clothing!):joke:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
So...there we were taking our 21 year old to drop him off for job interview in my 1998 Eldorado ...

We had the heat set to a nice 75 degrees when the 21 year old says from the back seat "How can you two stand the heat?" Robin (my wife) replies "Because we're old! How would you like to walk the rest of the way?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
i would get a thorough check up. Sounds like it is happening way too fast. I do not know your age, but a check on your thyroid would be a good idea. Tumors on the thyroid are easily fixed and can cause a real problem if left go. The hypothalamus or pituitary could be sending improper signals to the thyroid or any number of other things could be a problem, most are easily fixed.
I have always been easily chilled and find it to be a slow progression as i age. 65 now and i wear the gerbings any time it is below 35 degrees. (like this morning, it was 25)
ditto!

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I would get a thorough check up. Sounds like it is happening way too fast. I do not know your age, but a check on your thyroid would be a good idea. Tumors on the thyroid are easily fixed and can cause a real problem if left go. The hypothalamus or pituitary could be sending improper signals to the thyroid or any number of other things could be a problem, most are easily fixed.
I have always been easily chilled and find it to be a slow progression as I age. 65 now and I wear the Gerbings any time it is below 35 degrees. (like this morning, it was 25)
:thumbup: yes I would too :agree:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts