GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most bikes I've owned I just swung my leg over to mount. When I got the Wing the trunk was in the way of my leg and so I just bend my leg at the knee and swing it over the seat. So far, no problem.

When the dealer talked with my wife about getting on the Wing he told her to stand up on the passenger foot rests and then swing her leg over after I got on. Problem is she has short legs (5' tall) and couldn't do it. So the way she is getting on (before I get on the bike) is to put her foot on the rest sort of jump up on the seat facing forward and then pushes back up on to the seat and swings her leg over the shelter. Then I have to get on and that means she's in the way and so I have to lift my right leg up and over the shelter and then stretch over the bike. It's a ridiculous maneuver for both of us. There has to be an easier way.

How do those of you who ride two-up get on the bike? Just asking. Curious minds want to know. :shrug:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thats the best way for us to get on. It gets easier in time.:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
How do those of you who ride two-up get on the bike? Just asking. Curious minds want to know. :shrug:
I get on the bike first and then my passenger gets on just as the dealer described to you. She has zero problems steping over the seat. She is quite a bit taller than 5' though. Even when she stays on the bike and I get off/on, I don't have any issues bending my legs/hip to mount normally.

A lack of flexibility is often what I see as the number one issue with people trying to get on/off motorcycles.

If your passenger is mounting first, you just need to make sure that you are still maintaining control of the bike. That means you are keeping it from rolling forward/backward (apply the brakes) AND making sure it remains stable on the stand (doesn't fall over).

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Help your wife on first. Fasten her helmet strap for her, plug in her headset.

They like that. Make the day fun.

Then get on yourself and go.

Ya wanna wobble around and be unstable and maybe drop the bike, be my guest.

I am for the easy way. The relaxed lazy way.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get on and pull up parallel to a curb. My wife stands on the curb and then is able to get her short leg across the seat and onto the bike without wrenching herself. I stand and hold the bike with my arms and legs. It's quick and painless for her. She is about 5'4".

BTW. Who cares if the topic has been explored before. There's always new people and new ideas that refresh every topic. I'm never too old to learn something new about something I already knew everything about....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Sounds like you're doing it about the same way that others on the board are doing it. Sounds like short legs are the problem here. I think pulling up next to a curb might be a good idea, but not always an option. Perhaps some rider peg risers might give her an extra inch or 2 to get on(not sure if they will support weight). It does get easier over time though.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...> It's a ridiculous maneuver for both of us. There has to be an easier way.

I get on first, steady the bike, hold it off the kickstand, then she climbs through as the dealer described. Oh, yeah, my wife is 5' - on a good day.

I get off the bike first, then help her dismount. There's times that she'll need to get off the bike first; it's just a reversal of our 'get on the bike' procedure.

You think it's bad now, wait til you have the Utopia (or any other) driver backrest installed.

We took a few minutes before our first time riding two-up in the comfort and privacy of our garage to get those sorid details figured out. :lol:

Luck to ya!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I get on and pull up parallel to a curb. My wife stands on the curb and then is able to get her short leg across the seat and onto the bike without wrenching herself. I stand and hold the bike with my arms and legs. It's quick and painless for her. She is about 5'4".

BTW. Who cares if the topic has been explored before. There's always new people and new ideas that refresh every topic. I'm never too old to learn something new about something I already knew everything about....
I agree with highlighted in red. If someone doesn't want to participate in a thread, just ignore it. The rest of us may have a new experience or knowledge to share.

I get on 1st by lifting my leg over the driver's seat, sort of hopping closer to the bike on one foot, then settling down onto the seat. Passenger is already hooked up to intercom, bike is on side stand in order to lower the left side some. I grasp handlebars and front brake, kinda brace everything with my left leg/foot. She grasps my left arm, stands up on left pass. footboard, lifts right leg over her seat. Dismount is she goes first, after bike is turned off and I say OK. We both take our time, being 74 & 73 slows us down a little.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I get on 1st by lifting my leg over the driver's seat, sort of hopping closer to the bike on one foot, then settling down onto the seat. Passenger is already hooked up to intercom, bike is on side stand in order to lower the left side some. I grasp handlebars and front brake, kinda brace everything with my left leg/foot. She grasps my left arm, stands up on left pass. footboard, lifts right leg over her seat. Dismount is she goes first, after bike is turned off and I say OK. We both take our time, being 74 & 73 slows us down a little.[/QUOTE]

:thumbup:
Works for us, Being 66 and 58 we do the same thing, only I have to swing my right leg over the seat, then, I stand the bike up straight and hold the brake, before she gets on, for balance purposes.

Not sure if I had the bike leaned over on the kickstand I could hold it up if it started to drop to the left. (Got a bad left foot and screws in the left knee joint.)

She then hooks up her intercom and away we go.

When we stop she gets off first, I put it on side stand and then I get off.

·
Banned
939 Posts
This topic is like sex in some ways. everybody has to figure out the special techniques that work for their particular situation. There is only one absolute.

Just make sure the platform is stable before mounting This seems to be the universal tenant regardless of religious background.

Think of your front brake as birthcontrol on or off the bike while your lovely bride gets all settled in. (if she needs assistance you can even velcro strap the front brake) Saftey first, kids are cool and all but do you really want an ops sorry about that dear situation? Your second love the Wing has to p:cool:ut up with your riding whims enough already as well and she only likes to lay down for tire changes, so make sure love number one gets to do it just the way she likes. (yeah I know some of you are still having difficulty figuring out the priority of love one and two but I am certain you have no desires to drop either in the throws of mounting).

That all being said the sky is the limit and heck you even got room to bring along the color matched carpet step ladder if need be.

Get creative, I am currently trying to convince my bride that we should try the reverse mount back flip or the one leg with long assist by me to make sure the inseam of her riding gear is in top condition but she just still insists on the step up on mounting side passenger peg launch with shoulders assist. She always gives me a helmet butt when she is ready for me to do my thing with the throttle and start riding if she wants to ride rough or a nice pat on my thigh if she wants a smooth mellow ride.

It is very important to make sure bride comfortable and gives you the signal before you just get to riding.

But seriously the sky is the limit with front brake assist by you or a velcro strap assist and I already have the patient on the deluxe color matched step stool but am not going to market it until my bride is ready.

Also there is no shame in mounting everyone does it.
If you get any snickers rest assured those doing the snickering are most likely not getting any from their bride and or do not have the self-confidence to mount like you and your bride.

Ride on!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Also there is no shame in mounting everyone does it.
If you get any snickers rest assured those doing the snickering are most likely not getting any from their bride and or do not have the self-confidence to mount like you and your bride.

Ride on!
Are we still talking about getting on a motorcycle. ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm almost the definition of inflexible ... I recently added a backrest ... It now doesn't matter if my S.O. is on back or not, as the backrest is in the way. I've found that if I kick my right leg up behind me and grab the front of my ankle (with my right hand) I can then use my arm as an assist to get my knee over the seat. Once my knee is past center of the seat and my boot has cleared the backrest I can release my ankle and all is well. Since i have a backrest my S.O. is protected, if you don't have a backrest you'll probably want to pay more attention than I do:)

Jason

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the great advice, humor as well. I really didn't think there would be a previous thread on this, maybe thought it was something we were doing wrong. I kept thinking "there has to be an easier way..." I also enjoyed the parallel with sex, probably more to the point than most of us are willing to admit. It's great to have her on the GW where she is comfortable and she can now talk to me and listen to her C&W music. Nice just having her along. Thanks again, I'll do some experimenting. BTW I'm 69 and she's 65 so we don't bend a well as we used to. But I think it would be worse if we weren't riding.:lol:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Help your wife on first. Fasten her helmet strap for her, plug in her headset.

They like that. Make the day fun.

Then get on yourself and go.
What Kit said...The easy way.

I take it a step farther for my wife. I have the Kury arm rests that swing out.

Before she gets on I swing it out as if opening a car door, when she gets settled in the saddle, I swing the arm rest into position, door closed. Kind of nerdy but she digs it and thats what matters. It's what I refer to as "Making a deposit in that emotional bank account". :coffee1:

·
Registered
325 Posts
My wife is 60+. She steps on her floor board and sits on her seat, kind of side saddle. She then swings her right leg over the front seat (with my back rest down ). Then I get on stepping over my seat with my right leg, that just had total knee replacement. It's quite a site to watch. :roll:

·
Banned
226 Posts
At 101 I have problems with my legs getting tangled up in my walker. To make things worse, then my diaper goes strait up whats left of my ass. I pull myself up on her using the handlebars to get me across the seat. Then my ol'lady grabs me by the scruff of the neck and yanks me into an upright position, I pick up my legs one by one and lift em up on the pegs. They have no feeling anymore from the multitude of knee and hip replacement over the decades. All that's left is to locate my special made trifocal riding glasses so's I can see the lines in the road and were off. Ive even learned to take off without picking the bike up off the kickstand. My old lady thinks it's really cool. As a rule we usually drive out to the roadside rest stop on the I-10 to empty her colostomy bag and get me a dry diaper on if she can stay conscious that long. Its kind of a long drawn out process but after all these years we still love to party at the Wingding events.

·
Registered
714 Posts
What really works best for me is when my wife rides her own bike. Which she does often actually. When she does ride with me, I let her get on first.

The bike on the center stand allows the bike to stay steady enough for her to get on with no problem. If I allow her to get on after me, it seems to be sort of awkward. I have to hold the bike steady and she doesn't seem to shift her weight the same way I do all the time so consequently, it feels like the bike starts to lean too far one way or the other. Seems quite precarious.

Now, with that said, the reason I prefer her to ride her bike is that it seems to take her an extra 5 minutes to get ready. I tend to have to stand there and wait for ever while she is still putting on gloves, helmet, etc. I think we wear the same gear and I can't understand why it takes her so long. When she rides her bike, I can just sit there on mine and wait. When she rides with me, I usually go and sit on the curb somewhere until she gets ready.

:doorag:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts