GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Kuryakyn rider backrest and like it so far. How do you folks with backrests get on and off the bike without scuffing the heck out of the backrest, seat, gas tank lid, etc.? Is there some easy procedure that I don't know about? I've got a rider backrest on my ST1300 (Utopia) and it's not quite as high, so I don't have a problem there? Maybe some yoga classes to limber up? : ) :lol:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I just installed a Kuryakyn rider backrest and like it so far. How do you folks with backrests get on and off the bike without scuffing the heck out of the backrest, seat, gas tank lid, etc.? Is there some easy procedure that I don't know about? I've got a rider backrest on my ST1300 (Utopia) and it's not quite as high, so I don't have a problem there? Maybe some yoga classes to limber up? : ) :lol:
I step on the left-side footpeg to get higher so that I can swing my leg over the backrest.

-

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I step on the left-side footpeg to get higher so that I can swing my leg over the backrest.

-
While the bike is on the side stand?

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,931 Posts
I approach the bike at a 45deg angle and do a sissier step, like jumping over a small fence, swinging my right leg over the front seat and tank. Getting off is a little harder. I have to help my right leg back over the front seat by grabbing under my knee and lifting up to clear the seat (most of the time).

·
Registered
220 Posts
:idea:One leg over the drivers seat trick here. I never thought of standing on peg and swinging the leg over the back rest, but now I'll try. Wow you really do learn something new, every time you log onto this forum don't you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
To get off, you might try one of those NASCAR type backflips, if you really want to impress your sweetie ( not to mention the others at the Pub!!):thumbup: To get on; Gene Autrey used to get on something a lot taller than your wing, I think the running start is the secret!

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Don't use a backrest. Tried it and did not like it

It's a motorcycle not a easy chair

·
Registered
58 Posts
Side stand for me, I am 5'9 cant hop or run like I used to, if my better half is with me I take the backrest off. (she is more comfortable to relax on) :lol:(brownie points for today):thumbup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many ways to do it.

I usually settle on stepping on the right side peg and then stepping over the seat. :?
The right peg? So you approach the seat from the right hand side with the bike leaning to the left on the side stand?

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
DamnIt! I never even gave this a thought. I don't know how I do that and now I have to go downstairs and out in the cold garage to see...........:shrug:

..........O.K. I just walked up to the bike without thinking about it. I found myself facing the bike at about a 45 degree angle (face toward the frnt and right). I instinctfully placed my left hand upon the left grip, picked my right leg up just as if I were a left handed baseball pitcher and I effortlessly moved my right foot and lower leg well above and across the seat and then down as I sat and placed my right hand on the right grip. All quite instinctfully.:thumbup: So, I did it again with a hot cup oc coffee in my left hand -- no problem-o and then again with the coffee in my right hand.:coffee1:

I am not going to try doing it by using the left peg as a "foot-up" because those supports are just investment cast metal and would likely eventually stress crack.

prs

1 - 20 of 54 Posts