GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i really like the led stick-on lights available, however the factory glue does not last over time....i have a set on the passenger armrests just above the doors so my passenger can find things in the back-rest pouch at night (switch in one compartment). i would also like to put a set under the bike (on the plastic parts) so I can see terrain in parking lots when I stop, problem is they don't stay stuck! i tried super glue, gorilla glue and clear silicone, all have failed in a few months. has anyone found something that lasts?

thanks to all,

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Polyurethane caulk - that stuff will stick for darn near forever, and stays pliable. Just make sure the surface is clean before applying, and remove any wax or road debris with mineral spirits beforehand.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Polyurethane caulk"

do you just "wet" it to stick it or actually have it thick enough to em-bead it into the product? I also see different types....roofing, windows, etc....

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ironically I just used the Polyurethane caulk and it worked great!!!

However I have used just the 3M tape and it worked great, I have used Hot Glue and it Worked great.......

Clean the surface very well!!! I learned to keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol on my bench. It has become a widely used tool in my arsenal! :thumbup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
With any adhesive, CLEAN the surface very well, rubbing alcohol works well. You can also use automotive trim double sided tape (3M makes some) to help hold the end of the light strip.

·
IronMan
17,459 Posts
All that stuff works great -usually even factory stick stuff on the lites. Have mine up under saddlebags in rain/snow/etc - it's got to be clean- silicone will stick to anything if surface clean can use type for bathrooms ( says dry in 15 minutes ) good luck.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
3M heavy duty automotive trip tape

With any adhesive, CLEAN the surface very well, rubbing alcohol works well. You can also use automotive trim double sided tape (3M makes some) to help hold the end of the light strip.
+1 :agree:

I dry buff the cleaned location with a microfiber and stick it! No issue all winter in Idaho (Fog, Rain, Snow, and weekly high pressure washing).

·
Registered
679 Posts
+1 :agree:

I dry buff the cleaned location with a microfiber and stick it! No issue all winter in Idaho (Fog, Rain, Snow, and weekly high pressure washing).
I Managed to find 100 % Alcohol at Drug Store. It seems to be what they recommend to get the 3M Tape lights to stick. Removes wax, silicone oils etc.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Also, if your lights have lost that sticky feeling just go to the auto parts store and get some 3M auto body tape. Sticky on both sides and won't let go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts