GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True to form, it's been 2 years and I'm getting the itch for a new bike. :oops:

I can't seem to stay on them for longer than that and I still haven't found "the one" yet.

Gone from St1300, to Goldwing, to Concours, back to a Goldwing (and a Vstrom 650) and now am thinking of either the new FJR or Super Tenere....

It's an affliction I have to deal with...my wife has accepted my disease-- I think she feels sorry for me...:lol:

I probably should have listed the Goldwing while the snowbirds were still down here!!!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Ayup. Keep the Wing for its practicality and comfort. Buy a B-King, V-Strom 1000 ABS, a Ninja 1000 or Triumph something for fun.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Good problem to have. Enjoy whatever you get.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried the two bike thing.... had the Wing and a Vstrom 650.

Momma didn't much care for two bikes in the garage, double maintenance costs, double insurance costs etc...

Sold the Wee and paid off the Wing.

Here's the kicker... momma don't ride so the Wing is overkill for what I use it for.

Love the low insurance rates tho...

I'm still on the fence....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Go do the FJR if I have a vote. Me, I guess I fall in love too easily. Had my 88 GL1500 fourteen years and 160,000 miles when I made the mistake of taking a test ride on an 1800. I have my '02 since then and it was a new purchase with no itch to replace it yet.
My 1997 Valkeryie has been with me since 2003 when I got it with only 1,800 miles. Every year I think all winter that it is getting old and I should replace it.Then spring comes, I take the first ride of the year and realize I still am in love with the darned thing. Guess I will just keep them both until something major happens. I can't even think of a replacement bike that would make me happier so I am sticking with the tired and true.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I feel your pain. I went from 6 Gold Wings, my last one was an 08, to a 09 Concours 1400 WOW what a great bike but I couldn't stay on it for more than 200 miles at a time. Went to a shadow sabre VT1100 very nice and comfortable but to small a gas tank (4 gls). Them bought a VTX 1300 also a great and very comfortable bike but it was the R model and the floor boards drug a LOT. Now I just bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad. so far this is really great ride. Of course I ride solo but the passenger seat is nice and it has floor boards for the co rider. It isn't a Gold Wing, nothing is better for 2 up riding then the wing, but I think I will have this Nomad for a long time.
Take your time, try a lot of bikes out and see what one fits your needs the best.

·
Registered
312 Posts
how maby bikes is enough

Have the wing because its a wing. have a Road King because its a Harley, have a V-Strom 650 because it makes sense and have a Ural Patrol because I have a sense of humor.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Have the wing because its a wing. have a Road King because its a Harley, have a V-Strom 650 because it makes sense and have a Ural Patrol because I have a sense of humor.
I have an unnatural fascination with the Ural. Unnatural because I know it'd really be too slow for me to ride on a regular basis and I do most of my riding solo, but I'd already have one if the wife hadn't said she wouldn't ride in a side car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm leaning toward the Tenere with the new electronic suspension. SE Florida doesn't have a lot of dual sport opportunities, but I'm one of those people who pass dirt or gravel roads and want to explore where they go.

So the question becomes, sell the bike as-is w/ accessories or sell the accessories (the ones I can take off) and use the Wing as a trade?

I need to get busy and craft an ad I guess!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
You are not going to get much for your accessories. I stripped mine off and bought most of my farkles for the FJR with the cash.

I had '02 GL1800, '06R120RT, '11 Concours 14, and now '13 FJR. I had the RT & C14 at the same time as the Wing. Now the FJR is my only bike and I very happy with it. My wife no longer rides with me so he FJR does what I want it to do. Long distance or local riding I fit me. Last weekend I did over 1800 miles in 3 days, including 440 miles of mountain twisties on Saturday.

Good luck with our choice.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are not going to get much for your accessories. I stripped mine off and bought most of my farkles for the FJR with the cash.

I had '02 GL1800, '06R120RT, '11 Concours 14, and now '13 FJR. I had the RT & C14 at the same time as the Wing. Now the FJR is my only bike and I very happy with it. My wife no longer rides with me so he FJR does what I want it to do. Long distance or local riding I fit me. Last weekend I did over 1800 miles in 3 days, including 440 miles of mountain twisties on Saturday.

I'll probably post up a FS ad here and on CycleTrader first and if it doesn't move, I'll strip off what accessories I can (not many) and use it as a trade.
I've got time as the version w/ electronic suspension is kind of hard to get right now... or I could always change my mind...... again!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

I'm not sure if the "our choice" was a typo or just great insight into the group mentality. Either way, perfect!

Have fun deciding.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure if the "our choice" was a typo or just great insight into the group mentality. Either way, perfect!

Have fun deciding.
Yea, I caught that too! :lol: "The power of the hive compels you!!!"

Trying to decide is the WORST part!!!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If you are really wanting to do the gravel/sand/dirt roads thing, keep the Wing and buy a dirt cheap KLR650.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts