GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred H. and others have covered this before. So the idea is not mine. Getting the connectors unplugged.
After reading Fl Kruzen's thread on "who performs their own maintenance" Some had questions on how to get connectors unplugged.
After I lift up the meter panel cover and get it loose I slide it back till I can see the multi-display control switch connector in photo #1, Then with the right hand reach under and push in and squeeze the tab on the connector, and with screwdriver in left hand push the female plug to the right and off the male plug. Release the two tweeter speaker connectors by squeezing the little tab. Tabs are toward the inside. After unplugging the connectors the first time you can modify the connectors to make subsequent removals easier.
I had followed Fred's video suggestion of rounding off the little catch on the male end of multi-display switch connector on my 2008. On my 2012 I came up with this modification, in photo #2, of using Dremel and grinding the raised outer tabs off the female end at the green dots the red arrow's are pointing to. Photo #3 is side view. I then ground the two outer tabs down (green marks photo #4) on the tweeter male plugs so i can get my big fingers in and release them a easier I hope. Hope this helps someone. My windows paint is 2007 and doesn't have the fancy arrows. Lyle

1 2 3 4
100_8134.jpgArrow.jpg 100_8131.jpgArrow.jpg 100_8132.jpgArrow.jpg 100_8129.jpgArrow.jpg

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I just cut the tab off

Then when it goes back on, use a piece of duct tape to secure the connector

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I haven't messed with that connector yet, but it seems that there are dozens of connector configurations and it always is a problem figuring out how to release them.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
They can be a bear for sure. One advice I can give of you choose to not modify the latch is be sure to release the latch 100% before attempting to pull the plug apart. The mistake I made was trying to release the latch and pull the connector apart at the same time. I fought for a while with no success, then pressed the connector back together firmly, released the latch, then the connector came right apart. With the right chain of action they come apart, but do it a little different and they can be a real pain.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Thx...i might do similar.

Getting it unplugged on my 2001 was way simpler than my 2013...i'll try your mod and see if I can make it a bit easier.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I have removed the dash connector from both my 09 & 12 a couple dozen times to remove the air filter and add farkels. The connectors look brand new with nothing filed or deformed :shock:.
Here is an easy way to unplug the big nasty connector behind the ignition switch. No screwdrivers or dynamite needed. I lift the dash out of the rear grommets as normal. I strap on an LED forehead light (as manufactured by Energizer) from Lowe's or Home Depot (about $10 and will last forever except the batteries).
I insert a 10" pair of curved forceps from the right side of the bike.
I break off the forceps lockers near the finger holes on the forceps because I hate them for connector work :evil:. Make sure the forceps have serrations on the jaws. The rear of the dash is already lifted since I have lifted it out of the grommets and you will have a clear view of the connector.
From the right side of the bike, insert the forceps so the jaws are at least 3/16" on the whole plug (one jaw on plug opposite the release tab, the opposite jaw on release tab). You do not want to pull on wires. You can easily test if you are on the tab. A light squeeze should feel mushy as the release tab gets squeezed in.
If not mushy, re-center the jaws to be on the tab. Squeeze and push in lightly to release the plastic break-away torque (light plastic weld that happens naturally), then a light wiggle and pull the plug out just like pulling a tooth :eek:4:. The forceps can be found on line. I purchased mine at a flea market for $2 to $6.00.
This method will not work if the connector assembly is not on its metal holder as designed by Honda.
Once the dash is lifted out of the grommets, it takes me less than 30 seconds to disconnect the connector.
I don't why some choose to deform connector loops with screwdrivers, file the connector catches or leave connectors off their metal holders :22yikes:.
The key is the correct tools to release the connector as Honda intended. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts