GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Geeks,

Changing the coolant and while I'm this far will go for the air filter next. A few things to note so far.....
- I broke 1 pushpin and the bike has eaten 2 others.
- I broke one of the guiding tabs on the major mid cowl. Hey, stuff happens. I don't see it as a big problem. Even if I did, what would I do ??
- One of the bolts and it's sleeve in the very bottom fairing was missing completely on one side. Did I pick the bike up that way at purchase time over 3 years ago ??
Did it fall out somewhere along the way ?? Who knows ??

Also, ( I swear I've looked in here ) where can I get the pushpins needed for THIS bike ?? I may as well get the correct ones, not something that 'may' work.

Question......... I haven't done a thorough search other than go to one auto parts store O'Reilly's ) , Harbor Freight and a local hardware store ( Ace ) for COPPER washers. These 3 places did not have them. My question............ should I worry about re-using these copper washers for the radiator ?? I DO NOT want to put this back together only to find out in the near future that it's leaking. And, I'm thinking Mr. Honda MUST have a reason for using copper washers for the radiator.

What do you guys say ??

Thanks,

# 2 1/2.

P. S. Thanks again Fred !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe these should work…

Thanks !! While still perusing this site just now, I came up with a post, ( I believe from Goldwing Greg - not sure ), within a thread that recommeded these. Honda 90114-MKC-A00 - SCREW, SPECIAL (5X15) : MRCycles.

I'm going to check out what you just sent too. Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks !! While still perusing this site just now, I came up with a post, ( I believe from Goldwing Greg - not sure ), within a thread that recommeded these. Honda 90114-MKC-A00 - SCREW, SPECIAL (5X15) : MRCycles.

I'm going to check out what you just sent too. Thanks !!!!
Oh my God................ this is for others that may see this ............................ do not use the site from Mr. Cycles that I posted above. Their price is $4.56 I think. Something like that. I assumed that was for a BAG of 20. To my surprise, they are $4.56 APIECE !!!!! Get the .................you know what....ouuta here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
In the search box, search the 2018+ forum for a post by Fred (so put him in the author block) using the key words "push pin". I am pretty sure he stated the push pins are 6mm. You can find 6mm push pins on Amazon for pennies. If you can't find his post, do a key word search of the 2018+ forum for "air filter" and "push pin". You'll have to sift thru a lot of "I lost a push pin doing my air filter..." posts, but you will find a post that states the size of the pins. I know, because that is how I found the correct size.

But, don't let that delay you from putting the bike back together. Just use the push pins from the inside of the fairing that are easily accessible. That way, when the new pins arrive, they are simple to replace.

LOL!!! After I typed all that shyte, I decided it would be a whole lot easier for me to just search my Amazon purchase history for the push pins I bought, so here ya go!! At least I was right about the 6mm size.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the search box, search the 2018+ forum for a post by Fred (so put him in the author block) using the key words "push pin". I am pretty sure he stated the push pins are 6mm. You can find 6mm push pins on Amazon for pennies. If you can't find his post, do a key word search of the 2018+ forum for "air filter" and "push pin". You'll have to sift thru a lot of "I lost a push pin doing my air filter..." posts, but you will find a post that states the size of the pins. I know, because that is how I found the correct size.

But, don't let that delay you from putting the bike back together. Just use the push pins from the inside of the fairing that are easily accessible. That way, when the new pins arrive, they are simple to replace.

LOL!!! After I typed all that shyte, I decided it would be a whole lot easier for me to just search my Amazon purchase history for the push pins I bought, so here ya go!! At least I was right about the 6mm size.

Thanks a lot !!! Believe me, I've been searching on here. As you know, many times posters go off on a tangent. Thay may mention a key word in their post, but there is no answer to what one might be looking for. At any rate, thank you !!!

Now...............while we're here............. I think I'm going to re-use the copper crush washers. What do you think ??

# 2 1/2.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Now...............while we're here............. I think I'm going to re-use the copper crush washers. What do you think ??
I always re-use mine after annealing them before re-use.

For those who don't know what annealing entails, just re-heat them to cherry red with a propane torch (holding them with a needle nose pliers, letting them air cool, then cleaning them up with steel wool).
Do NOT quench them, which is putting them into cold water while still red hot. That only makes them brittle and they will break if you try to re-use them.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always re-use mine after annealing them before re-use.

For those who don't know what annealing entails, just re-heat them to cherry red with a propane torch (holding them with a needle nose pliers, letting them air cool, then cleaning them up with steel wool).
Do NOT quench them, which is putting them into cold water while still red hot. That only makes them brittle and they will break if you try to re-use them.
Thanks. You're right about me not knowing what annealing was. I looked it up to learn. Of course. I think I'll pass on this idea though. For me, it seems like a long way to go for a $0.10 washer.
And.................a propane torch ?? Never had one of those and I never will.

But, I really do appreciate you answering my question.

# 2 1/2.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts

Have these, has what I need...

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Thanks a lot !!! Believe me, I've been searching on here. As you know, many times posters go off on a tangent. Thay may mention a key word in their post, but there is no answer to what one might be looking for. At any rate, thank you !!!

# 2 1/2.
I replaced mine. Had them in hand several weeks prior to doing the service. If you can't get them from your dealer, ACE is the place.

IMO, it is too much of a sweat in the azz to redo the work if the reused washer leaks.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
3,275 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What? Really?
I don't know anyone who lives in a house and doesn't own a propane torch.
Maybe it's a Canadian thing.
We're used to doing DIY stuff.
Again, all depends where, how you grew up. I'm being serious..............of the 80 -100 guys I know in my hoops league in NY, I can guarantee only MAYBE 2 or 3 have a propane torch. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I replaced mine. Had them in hand several weeks prior to doing the service. If you can't get them from your dealer, ACE is the place.

IMO, it is too much of a sweat in the azz to redo the work if the reused washer leaks.
Well............not going to the dealer. Maybe I'm crazy................it's the principle of a purchase. Last time I went there for plugs, I got raped. I bought them anyway because I was already there and said oh, what the heck.
And OF COURSE it's WAY too much of a "sweat in the azz to redo the work if the reused washer leaks.." WAY !! Anyway, the old ones are in there now. No leaks on several fully heated/up-to-temp start-ups.
Stay tuned .............. was going to finish the air filter this weekend but I was sent the wrong air filter. UGH !!!!!! Anyway.....so, hopefully sometime this week.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Well............not going to the dealer. Maybe I'm crazy................it's the principle of a purchase. Last time I went there for plugs, I got raped. I bought them anyway because I was already there and said oh, what the heck.
And for the price of a couple copper washers, you'd think they were made of platinum. Or at least gold.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
502 Posts
What? Really?
I don't know anyone who lives in a house and doesn't own a propane torch.
Maybe it's a Canadian thing.
We're used to doing DIY stuff.
lol, no not a Canadian thing

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thank God it's just a 30K motorcycle and it belongs to you, for if you were a tech your liability insurance could get use.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I had mine torn down last night for a coolant and brake flush today. Did not have the copper crush washers on hand. I figured that since I was torn down this far I would hit up my local dealer for the crush washers and an air filter and just change it with only 8000 miles on the air filter. To my surprise the dealer had the crush washers $2.57 but not an air filter. They offered to order the air filter but I declined. I thought the crush washers were fairly priced being a Honda OEM part.
I like to support my local dealer even though some items are grossly overpriced. They however will not be the ones to do my valve adjustment since their top multi brand mechanic has never had the valve covers off a Goldwing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hondahawk
1 - 20 of 20 Posts