GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was with my wife on Rt 23 in NJ by High Point mountain in 3rd going up a slight hill all of a sudden a cloud clank noise from gear box and bike shifted into 4th never happened before, only 14 K miles on this 2010 was bit worried I haven't had problem since, but concerned. Any tips form anyone. Bike has always been maintained oil changes ever 3k no other issues. Weird feeling.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mine did it this morning, but I was not surprised by it. In my case, it was the nut behind the wheel. When I shifted into 5th I don't think I had enough toe on the issue and within a short bit under throttle it dropped back to 4th.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Take it to a good dealer. They probably won't do anything unless they can get it to do it for them, but at least get it documented.
In the mean time, pay close attention to your shifting. Make sure you are making positive complete shifts and You may never have another problem.

My 03 did that and as I said, the dealer wouldn't do much until it got bad enough that the tech could get it to happen on a short test ride. Once he did, Honda paid for all of the repairs.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Take it to a good dealer. They probably won't do anything unless they can get it to do it for them, but at least get it documented.
In the mean time, pay close attention to your shifting. Make sure you are making positive complete shifts and You may never have another problem.

My 03 did that and as I said, the dealer wouldn't do much until it got bad enough that the tech could get it to happen on a short test ride. Once he did, Honda paid for all of the repairs.
I wouldn't bother taking it to the dealer yet. They won't duplicate the issue, and you'll just be without your bike for a day. You've got lots of warranty left, so just make sure you are doing solid shifting. Most people who experience the ghost shift experience it in 5th dropping to 4th, so yours is a little different. If it gets worse, then take it to a dealer, but a single occurrence wouldn't alarm me.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts

:agree: yes get it on record, if your lucky it might never happen again but if it does it's on record so no one can come up with some lame excuse like you should have reported it sooner, in your case I would say the extended warranty is a very wise investment. :thumbup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine did it this morning, but I was not surprised by it. In my case, it was the nut behind the wheel. When I shifted into 5th I don't think I had enough toe on the issue and within a short bit under throttle it dropped back to 4th.

It happened to me recently -- twice. Late at night, tired, and not shifting completely. Since then it hasn't happened again once I knew what caused it -- me. Definitely makes you sit up straight in the seat when you hear all that noise coming from the gearbox.:22yikes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
rnmedic1839

I suggest that you share your experience with Honda Customer Service. I have my doubts that informing a local dealer will go much further than the service managers desk drawer, if not the "round file." When I had a similar experience with my 2010 GW, I called and spoke with a rep at Honda CS and also filed a safety defect report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Until a significant number of these incidents are reported both to Honda and NHTSA, nothing will be done to come up with a solution. Some will say that this is an over reaction to an isolated incident, but "ghost" shifting from 5th to 4th at 70mph on I-95 sure scared the crap out of me.

Bob

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rnmedic1839

I suggest that you share your experience with Honda Customer Service. I have my doubts that informing a local dealer will go much further than the service managers desk drawer, if not the "round file." When I had a similar experience with my 2010 GW, I called and spoke with a rep at Honda CS and also filed a safety defect report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Until a significant number of these incidents are reported both to Honda and NHTSA, nothing will be done to come up with a solution. Some will say that this is an over reaction to an isolated incident, but "ghost" shifting from 5th to 4th at 70mph on I-95 sure scared the crap out of me.

Bob
Will do thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts