GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and riding buddy is due to ship out to Afghanistan Jan. 2 for a year. He is a crew chief for a maintenance crew for Apache Longbows (helicopter) for the Army.

I would like to get him a piece of equipment he can use and would otherwise not have issued from the military, but not being military myself I haven't the clue. Special knife, or kit of some kind..? Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Having had to send my kid things while over there, I would suggest you wait and let him tell you what he needs once there. It will differ from place to place. One of the things I sent my kid were computer parts. I would never have planned that. He'll have something he needs not locally available and you can get that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If your son is a member of the air crew,I assume he is being a crew chief.The one thing my son always carried with him on missions was a handheld gps.That way he would always know which way back to the base or to the nearest troops in the field.He carried it everyday in his flight suit.John

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Get him a Bore Snake to help keep his rifle clean. I've donated several times Project Bore Snake. It's a great cause and an easy way to help make sure out service men and women have the best equipment available.

Everyone can learn more about Project Bore Snake here: http://projectboresnake.org/moreinfo.html

Bartman

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Being a retired zoomie I have no suggestions... but send him my best.

·
Registered
63 Posts
www.microtechknives.com

Very popular with military. Look at the Halo model. Automatic (switchblade) Only military and police are allowed to own unless your a collector.

They moved company to Bradford Pa. (home of Case knives)a couple years ago. My son works there and it is quite an operation. All USA made and very high quality. Lifetime everything.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I'm told calling cards are a godsend to the troops so they can keep in touch with family and friends.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Someone close told me that when their son got to Iraq, his commander gave him a list of the things not to have the family send him.

Certain items could end up getting confiscated so, it might be a better idea to have them tell you what they would like to have that's allowed.

From a personal experience, I can understand that to a degree. When in a combat situation one feels like you can never have enough or the right things to assure your survival but at the same time, some things can become a burden.

In any case. I personally send my best wishes and the hope for a safe return home.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would give him some cash so that he can pick up a Glock on the used market over there. They don't jam in the sand and are extremely popular with anyone who can get there hands on one.

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
A good laptop computer. Like a toughbook since it is more resistant to the dust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts