GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a GiPro gear indicator on my 08 last year. Went thru the set up and everything worked great. After about 4000 miles it's acting up. Sometimes it woks and sometimes it shows F or - or gets stuck in whatever gear it feels like. Once you shut the bike off and then restart it does its start up routine with the countdown to -. Then it will work for miles, then get stuck on a gear and not work. Irritating!!! The bike is a level 4 airbag, don't know why Honda didn't put one on the bike in the first place! My 85 Aspencade had one and it was great. Done with my rant! OK Has anyone else had this problem? (And before I get FLAMED I did do a search and found nothing) Any help would be appreciated!:shrug:
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Have you took off the seat and check the connection for corrosion or being loose. I have had one on my 06 for over 3 yrs with no problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JohnACman
No I have not yet checked the connection. I just got back from a 750 mile weekend trip and this was bugging me. My manual and the info on the GiPro are at the shop. I will check this out tomorrow as I couldn't remember where it was attached on the bike. I have only 6800 miles on the bike so doubt there is any corrosion but thats a good place to start.
Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update
I removed the seat and checked for corrosion at the connector found nothing as I had dielectric grease on connectors. Ran it thru the sequence on the center stand and works as advertised. Will ride it tuesday and see if anything has changed. I will also look for the paperwork to see if there is any troubleshooting info.
Bill

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am trying to hook mine up now. I posted that I hooked it up as per instructions and when I cut the switch I get nothing.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If you add an accessory and turn the ignition switch on-off a few times, it can screw up the Gipro's little brain. Your instructions and their site both explain how to do a reset. Don't ask how I know :oops:. I carry a net book computer and fixed mine on the roadside. You need to put the bike on its center stand and run it through the gears per the instructions. It works :thumbup:.
I just done some rewiring of accessories on my 09 so I could maintain items under the fuel tank. I guess I done too much testing since I screwed up the Kisan dual headlight modulator. It needs to go back to Kisan for what they call a "hard reset" that can only be done at the factory (special machine required for the brain surgery :22yikes:).
The owner of Kisan is a great guy and said it is a free service.
Be thankful you can do a reset on the Gipro without sending the unit anywhere :nojoke:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts