GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a backrest ordered by eod tomorrow and have been doing a lot of searching. I definitely don't want the Kury style with bars and tubes all over the place and even though I cringe at cutting a hole in the 2012 seat, that's what I've decided to do.

So, what's your preference? Comparing the Utopia and the Ultimate, they look identical except the Ultimate has triple chrome plated hardware and the Utopia is black powder coated. The Ultimate has 2" of memory foam and the Utopia is 1.5" thick of something. At first glance, Ultimate is the winner. I would appreciate any comments from those that actually have them. Or if you have another brand, I'd like to read about them, as well.

1. Does your backrest actually fit your back while you're riding, or is it too far back or forward?
2. Does the cover piece, that covers the hole, actually cover the hole, and does it stay glued in place or curl up?
3. Does the cut continue to spread, or does the cover piece actually prevent it from continueing to rip?
4. Does it actually look good and is it functionally comfortable?

Thanks for any replies/suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
back rest

the back rest with all the chrome on both side of seat look great but a friend of mines wife bitched about it being uncomfortable for her. i have had a hole cut through both my 1500, & 1800 and i really loke it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is my second Utopia and I can't find anything bad to say about them. It is very adjustable, fits my back fine, and the first one I did is over 2 years old and the cut has not gotten larger and the boot to cover the hole has not come loose or curled up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My wife could not use either of the models (Showchrome or Kuryakyn) with the bars on the side. Rubbed the inside of her legs pretty bad when sitting down.

We went with the Utopia and she loves it.

1. Does your backrest actually fit your back while you're riding, or is it too far back or forward?
2. Does the cover piece, that covers the hole, actually cover the hole, and does it stay glued in place or curl up?
3. Does the cut continue to spread, or does the cover piece actually prevent it from continueing to rip?
1. Fits perfectly and with the adjustment it can be made to fit anyone.
2.Stays glued and is not curling so far.
3. No spreading. It would take some tremendous pressure and pulling/pushing to rip it.
4. Looks awesome. Have had a ton of good comments on its good looks.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I have a Utopia. Put it on about a month ago. After getting up the nerve to take a razor blade and a bread knife to my seat it was actually no sweat getting it installed.

1. Yes it fits just fine because it is adjustable up and down as well as forward and backward.

2. The cover piece as well does a fine job covering the hole. Stayed glue and not curling (so far) at all.

3. The cut is not spreading. I don't think that it will.

4. It looks factory. The stitching matches factory Honda very well. I just got back Thursday from a 1400 mile ride to Glacier National Park and just loved having it to lean back on. I am well pleased with my Utopia.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good replies, thank you all. Anyone have the Ultimate or another brand?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd still like to have some feedback on the Ultimate or any other brand that any member may have.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, no other replies, so I decided on the Ultimate for the reasons mentioned above. I have an e-mail to them and hopefully will hear back from them in the morning. If they don't have the longer hardware for the thicker seat, I'll have to go with Utopia. Thanks for previous comments.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't go wrong with the Utopia! I like me Backrest's on me Motorcycles. Now I have met some that don't like em, but they are the minority! And the install is a breeze!!!
Well, as I posted earlier, the Ultimate is .5 " thicker and the hardware is triple plated chrome; also $17 cheaper, not that it matters. Other than that, they're identical.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
A recommendation for those that have or are contemplating the purchase of a Utopia backrest.
If you do not intend to leave the back rest pad on all the time, I suggest ordering the QuickOut option w/the back rest.
I do not use my pad unless we/I are going on a multi-day/weeks trip.
With the downward "dimple" placed in the seat w/the standard mounting bar that attaches to the seat the adhesive pad that surrounds the cut and attaches to the seat, has a tendency to curl up and become unattached! I had replace mine(new one sent to me free!) and in a very short time, it also had come loose!
Enter the Quick Out option.
Received and installed and it comes with a snap closing cover that covers the cut hole completely(no rain intrusion) when the backrest is removed.
I am a happy triker again
Dawg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bike backrest

I prefer the Utopia and most of the people I have met prefer it to others. If you Google Utopia motorcycle seats there is an instruction sheet and video on installation. I think it is a Steve Saunders video. This will also make you feel more comfortable about cutting the seat. I just sold my 2008 bike (seen here) with the Utopia seat. I leaned against the (adjustable) back rest for 52,000 miles and there was never a problem.

Kid

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't go wrong with the Utopia! I like me Backrest's on me Motorcycles. Now I have met some that don't like em, but they are the minority! And the install is a breeze!!!
Thanks for the input, kid. Yes, I saw the Saunders video but it does nothing to contradict the observations that I've ready made. It's still thinner, not chrome, and more expensive.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Posting just to correct information. I contacted Ultimate this morning and they haven't made a backrest for the oem goldwing seat in about 2 years. The web page I found is outdated and they will remove it. I guess that leaves me with the Utopia.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The Ultimate is a good backrest, but they slipped up chroming the bar. It rusts, mainly because it is out of sight, out of mind at cleaning time. For that reason alone I recommend the Utopia.

Does the Utopia fit the 2012 saddle? I'm curious because the saddle looks a bit different, but perhaps the dimensions are the same as the earlier ones.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
You sure you want one?

I took mine back off I much prefer throwing my leg over the bike than doing the shuffle required with a back rest

Plus the other half presses nicely on my back( if you get my drift) when she does ride with me

No she does NOT take up the whole space( far from it) but there is another thought for some off you!!!

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
You sure you want one?

I took mine back off I much prefer throwing my leg over the bike than doing the shuffle required with a back rest
Interesting! I noticed that if I stand on the left footpeg that mounting the bike is simply a breeze. If it does take any longer with it on than with it off then it can't amount to more than 1 or 2 seconds. A very very small price to pay for all the additional comfort that it gives.

I believe that those that put a Utopia on their bikes and later took them off because they did not like them would be a very small minority.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Ultimate is a good backrest, but they slipped up chroming the bar. It rusts, mainly because it is out of sight, out of mind at cleaning time. For that reason alone I recommend the Utopia.

"Does the Utopia fit the 2012 saddle?" I'm curious because the saddle looks a bit different, but perhaps the dimensions are the same as the earlier ones.
The '12 saddle is slightly thicker than previous years and that hardware compresses the saddle for a non-professional look. The new backrests are made specifically for the '12.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm on my second Utopia (second GL1800 as well). Wouldn't be without it. When the wife actually decides to go for a ride, I just flip the backrest forward and lay it down in my seat while she gets on.
I find it exceptionally easy to adjust while riding in order to change position slightly on longer rides ... just reach back and adjust the thumbscrew. Can't do that with the Ultimate on my Rune ... that one requires an Allen Key.
The only thing that bugs me is keeping the pouch secured ... this hot weather loosens up the tack on the velcro strips I use to keep it in place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts