GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody thought about a class action law suit over all these non working cd changers that honda sells us. I have seen half a dozen do the same thing and honda will not do anything nor can you find anyone to repair them.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mine still works after 6 years and 58,000 miles. I use it all the time. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Unless you are the lawyer all you would get is a 10% off coupon to buy another $600.00 cd player :eek:4:

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
There are a couple of 'authorized repair' facilities.
This is where I sent my C.D. player to be repaired:

: "Pioneer of Canada
300 Allstate Park Way
Markham, Ontario
L3R 0P2

·
Registered
39 Posts
My CD player is a 2002 model and it just started messing up. Ouch

·
Registered
747 Posts
It tough to get a CD player to last on a bike. I suspect the CD player will be a thing of the past soon. The new IPods are less expensive and do not have any moving parts. Sorry to hear that many are having trouble with them, but IMO, change over to an Ipod is a more perminant cure.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You can send it back to Pioneer for repairs, they have a flat rate charge

·
Registered
758 Posts
Faulty CD players

In the December 2008 Wing World there was a blurb about Honda extending the warranty on all CD players 01 to current model years. How ever bikes taken to the dealers with Wing World in hand, not a dealer is aware of the extended warranty. Somehow Honda forgot to inform the dealers I guess.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had my CD player installed when I bought my 2001, new, way back in 2001. I play it everytime I'm riding and never had a problem yet. I guess some are good and some are bad but mine has played flawlessly ever since I had it installed.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
I know that many have had problems with the CD player. I guess I am lucky. I had one on another wing for thousands of miles and no problem and the one I have now has travelled over 45K and no problems. Maybe I should turn it on once in awhile :)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Three years and my CD player still works great. I use it at least 95% of the time. I have my 120GB Microsoft Zune for backup in case it ever does go out.

Since Honda has extended the warranty on CD players and there are places to send the units for repair, that renders the idea of a Class Action lawsuit, which is good for no one but the lawyers involved, moot.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It tough to get a CD player to last on a bike. I suspect the CD player will be a thing of the past soon. The new IPods are less expensive and do not have any moving parts. Sorry to hear that many are having trouble with them, but IMO, change over to an Ipod is a more perminant cure.
An iPod (or similar) would be great if it was integrated with the bike controls from the factory. I tried using my iPod, but it became a real hassle to operate on the bike. I finally figured out that since I have a CD changer, why not make CDs of my favorite iPod playlists and use the fully integrated function of the CD player. Bingo, the best of both worlds. I can get 90+ songs on 6 CDs that last me about 8 hours of continuous riding. Of course, I had already invested in a CD player before I became an iPod junky.

Hopefully, the 2010 or 2011 Wings will have an integrated iPod capability. And, like you said, the CD player will disappear like the 8-Track. A lot of cars already have iPod capability.

·
Registered
747 Posts
An iPod (or similar) would be great if it was integrated with the bike controls from the factory. I tried using my iPod, but it became a real hassle to operate on the bike. I finally figured out that since I have a CD changer, why not make CDs of my favorite iPod playlists and use the fully integrated function of the CD player. Bingo, the best of both worlds. I can get 90+ songs on 6 CDs that last me about 8 hours of continuous riding. Of course, I had already invested in a CD player before I became an iPod junky.

Hopefully, the 2010 or 2011 Wings will have an integrated iPod capability. And, like you said, the CD player will disappear like the 8-Track. A lot of cars already have iPod capability.

yea, that works quite well as long as your CD player is still working properly and if my CD was still working, I would do exactly as what you are doing. I was addressing those that don't and the expense of fixing or replacing with outdated technology. My IPod sits in the front left pocket and for a long ride, I simply select play all at random(about 1300 songs). On short runs; maybe a specific album. Hopefully, as you noted, Honda will make the IPod the integrated unit, but even that worries me because as they have done in the past, they make it difficult to use an alternative unit and will try to set it up so we all get to pay $5oo for a $200 unit. For example, how much did we pay for the weak GPS system that one MUST buy if one wants ABS.

·
Registered
611 Posts
... but even that worries me because as they have done in the past, they make it difficult to use an alternative unit and will try to set it up so we all get to pay $5oo for a $200 unit. For example, how much did we pay for the weak GPS system that one MUST buy if one wants ABS.
You're probably right! The cost would be triple just like they did with the CD player and GPS as you pointed out. The one saving grace is that they won't sell you the iPod unit itself, just have the interfaces integrated.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I'm amazed anyone still buys the Honda CD player when you can get an Ipod for about $180 that holds 400 CD's instead of 6, doesn't fill up the trunk cavity, is more reliable, and can be used off the bike.

To me, it's a no brainer. If folks would stop buying the Honda CD player, I think they would get the message.

H

·
0 Posts
Honda started a repair program in late 2008. I am posting the top of the Service Bulletin. It is too long and has too many internal phone numbers that only a dealer can call. So I haven't posted the entire bulletin. But there is a program for certain years and Honda will provide a remanufactured unit and labor. So use the bulletin number when talking to your dealer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Fred,

If I had to do it today, I wouldn't buy the CD player. I bought mine six years ago back in 03. That was before the iPod and most Mp3 players really took off. I didn't jump on the iPod band-wagon until 07. After which, I realized that the CD player was a doomed technology.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This is probably the way to go anyway;

http://bikemp3.com/main.sc
I just picked up one of their MP3 players that plugs into the empty CD player connector. It uses standard sized SD cards and utilizes the OEM CD changer controls to change folders and tracks.

I documented the whole project on my blog at:

http://www.iggythebiker.com.

If anyone is interested in how to install and use it, have a look. I have never been all that hot on CD players in the first place, and I don't know anyone who actually has the OEM changer on their wing.

I had toyed with the idea of getting the iPod interface, but I decided against it. I am just not that keen on having to mount the iPod on the handle bars. I think it is just too distracting for me.

This unit does everything I want, and was very easy to install. It only took me about 30 minutes to put it in.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
It was one of the options that i was thinking about but mine came with the ipod wire and $140 was cheaper than the cd player so i use it instead. i have over 2 days of music on the ipod so i never have to change cds

1 - 20 of 34 Posts