GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on the road, my engine starting surging. After removing the fuel pump, I discovered the filter cloged with metal particiles. The metal came from the pump motor going bad.

If your bike does not start immediatly, or you see metal flakes in the bottom of the fuel tank, replace your fuel pump before it fails you on the highway.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
morris said:
While on the road, my engine starting surging. After removing the fuel pump, I discovered the filter cloged with metal particiles. The metal came from the pump motor going bad.

If your bike does not start immediatly, or you see metal flakes in the bottom of the fuel tank, replace your fuel pump before it fails you on the highway.
How do I inspect the inside of my tank for metal flakes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply:

1. the bike is an 01 with 67,000
miles.

2. You inspect the fuel tank by removing the fuel pump. The gas level in the tank needs to be very low.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
morris said:
Morris,
Great job of looking at the basics. Others may have started swapping out ECMs and sensors before looking where you did. One question: Is it possible the metal crud came from a load of bad gas? I'm thinking the only way the outside of that filter could get plugged with stuff that originated from inside the fuel pump would be if the metal had been first pumped through the fuel rail and regulator, then back to the tank via the return line. And because there's no filter on the pressure side of the system, your injectors could have gotten plugged also. Just a thought. If MH doesn't warranty your pump, clean the screen and test the pump for pressure & flow rate before condemning the entire pump.

Stu

·
Vendor
22,239 Posts
Maybe the metal is what is left of the pump bearings and it fell out through the bottom of the pump and through the screen? Maybe if the pieces were small enough?

I haven't seen the pump internals, (yet) so I don't know if this is possible or not. If it went all the way to your fuel regulator and fuel rail, you might want to flush out the entire fuel system to get all the little pieces out.

I really wish Honda had put a fuel filter on this bike. I have looked at adding one, but the problem is finding one that can handle 50-55psi and still be small enough to fit on the bike somewhere. If anyone runs accross one please let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fuel pump and filter screen are in a plastic box in the bottom of the fuel tank. When the pump motor started producing metal shavings from probably a worn bearing, this metal was sucked up on the nylon screen.

Forget about bad pump gas. If you see metal shavings, the pump is failing.

I would not worry about an additional fuel filter. This screen cought all of the metal pieces.

·
Registered
833 Posts
morris said:
The fuel pump and filter screen are in a plastic box in the bottom of the fuel tank. When the pump motor started producing metal shavings from probably a worn bearing, this metal was sucked up on the nylon screen.

Forget about bad pump gas. If you see metal shavings, the pump is failing.

I would not worry about an additional fuel filter. This screen cought all of the metal pieces.
My question would be if the pump failed causing the metal debris..how did they get through the screen one direction to end up in the fuel tank and yet be large enough not to pass through the screen in the opposite direction to be distributed throughout the fuel system? There is only one inlet and one outlet on modular type fuel pumps.

I have to agree with Stu on this one... I see fuel contamination of this sort on a regular basis. .... Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts