GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A '04 WING WITH 49,000 MILES ON THE CLOCK.
AT 24,000 MILES I DEVELOPED A NOISE LIKE A CAR WITH A COLAPSED LIFTER WHEN ACCELERATING THRU THE GEARS BETWEEN 1,800 AND 2,500 RPM's. THIS USUALLY COMES WHEN THE BIKE HAS SET OVER NIGHT AND THE ENGIN IS COLD. THE SOUND GETS MORE PRONOUNCED WHEN IN COLDER CLIMATES. IT BECOMES BARELY AUDABLE WHEN THE ENGIN COMES UP TO TEMP.
ALSO HAVE GOTTEN A TIC-TIC NOISE IN THE RIGHT BANK (LIKE A SPARK JUMP) IN THE LAST FOUR MONTHS.
THIS WAS DIAGNOISED AS A BAD INJECTOR. THE INJECTORS WERE REPLACED LAST WEEK. THE TIC-TIC NOISE IS STILL THERE.
IF IN NEUTRAL AND REVED UP TO AROUND 2,200 RPM, THE BOTTOM SOUNDS LIKE IT IS COMING APART.
ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE THIS PROBLEM????????? :cry:

G

·
I will take a stab at this.

Could be a valve out of adjustment. Check your valve clearances on the cylinders where the sound seems to be coming from. A large screwdriver with the tip pressed to the cyl head and the end of the handle pressed to your ear can isolate where noises come from. A mechanics stethiscope (sp?) works well also. They are cheap at almost any auto parts store.

Also, a leaking exhaust manifold gasket can sound like that.

Good luck...Ride safe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOISE

VALVES WERE ADJUSTED AND WERE NOT OUT OF SPEC.
THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE TOP OF THE CYL. HEAD. NOT THE BOTTOM.
:cry:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
The Tic Tic that sounds like fire jumping, sounds to me like normal noise from the injectors. As for the other sound, it is very tough to diagnose without hearing it myself, as IBTrike suggested get a mechanics stethoscope and try to isolate the sound.
What does the dealer say about it ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THE TIC-TIC SOUND IS SINGULAR AND FOLLOWS THE RPM's.
I AM TAKING THE MECHANIC FOR A QUICK RIDE FROM THE HOUSE SO I CAN DUPLICATE THE "COLLAPSED LIFTER" SOUND FOR HIM. SEEMS THAT WHEN IT IS IN THE SHOP, THEY CANNOT HEAR THE NOISE.
HAPPENS EVERY TIME THE THE BIKE LEAVES MY GARAGE IN THE AM.
ALSO WE WILL CHECK ON AN IGNITION SPARK JUMP ON ONE OF THE PLUG WIRES OR THE POSSIBILITY OF A JUMP FROM A CYLINDER COIL.
HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT CROPS UP DURING THE HOT SUMMER MONTHS.
IN TRAFFIC, WHEN CREEPING ALONG IN STOP AND GO RIDING, THE REAR BRAKE WILL START TO CHATTER WHEN THR PEDDLE IS SLOWLY DEPRESSED.
MY '02 WAS BOUGHT BACK BY THE DEALER AFTER THEY REPLACED ALMOST EVERY THING IN THE BRAKING SYSTEM AND COULD NOT CORRECT THE PROBLEM.
GOING TO REPLACE BRAKE FLUID WITH A SYNTHETIC FLUID.
HAS A HIGHER BOILING POINT.
FEEL THAT WITH THE TEMPS. IN THE HIGH 90 deg AND THE PROXIMITY OF THE REAR CALIPER, THE FLUID IS BOILING.
WE WILL SEE.
1RACER GWRRA 153282
ON THE ROAD SINCE '59 :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got a post a few pages back by now with a lifter sounding noise from the left side only after normal operating temp is reached accelerating(easy throttle) through the 1200-2000 rpm range, the engine is perfect cold. 2 dealers now and they say it's ok. BS
I'm dealing with sales now on a new one with all the goodies

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I THINK THAT NO ONE IN HONDA HAS ANY IDEA WHAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM.
ON MY WAY DOWN TO THE DEALERS NOW. LEFT THE SCOOTER THERE LAST NIGHT WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO LOSE THE KEYS UNTILL I GET THERE.
WILL DEMONSTRATE THE NOISE MYSELF.
:idea:
1RACER GWRRA 153282
ON THE ROAD SINCE '59

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Your brake noise/chatter is normal, I bet you are using only the rear brake, if you apply the front it will go away, most of use have hte noise when it gets hot, has nothing to do with the fluid it is something to do with the linked brake system. Can not help you on the other but they all tick. I have found the more you ride it the more you start to notice little noised that have really been there all along.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cold engine noise

I also have an 04 wing, I have had the same codl engine noise for over a year now. I have taken it to the dealer and had two tecs drive the bike, They could not hear the noise, ( HUH ) I then had the area rep drive it too, Left it at the dealer so it woudl be stone cold, The rep could hear it some but he said it was not tat bad, Can't believe that I think it is, But I have been trying to make sure it is warmed up real well before giving it some throttle, I have 108000 miles on it now and it has not changed, Not sure what to do about it, If you find some ting out let us know

Good Luck Tinwacker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts