GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it not be a great idea to have national rally for the members of this board. I don't know where but if we all put our heads togeather I am sure we could come up with something. Although I am really a newbe I have totally enjoyed reading the posts and learning some great things from you all :) I would be nice to put a face on all the user names.

I just finished putting on my belly pan and quite a few other items from all the links and help you guys have furnished. Although you have all had a hand in it there is a guy named Bulldog that my credit card company loves. I made the mistake of asking him about platform lifts one day. But, I must admit I cannot imagine being without it. Several days ago I thought I was really finished until I read the post about "T" Shirts :banghead: My son thinks that I should see a shrink. My latest item is a Colorado cargo trailer which is off in california being painted Candy Red. He just just shakes his head every time he comes over and finds me putting something else on the bike. :22yikes: My attitude is that if I cannot have it now someday will never get here.....

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I thought there already was a rally.... Saturday morning breakfast at the Hoot!!!

Does Lewis get to organize it again this year??? :duck:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was really thinking of our own rally, not meeting at another one. Maybe it could be a yearly event with vendors and all.....Just a thought :)

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
BigD said:
I was really thinking of our own rally, not meeting at another one.
Gotta crawl before you can walk. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, but we can't even get 100 people to log onto this forum at the same time. If we can't do that, then how are we going to pull enough people in from all over the country to make something like a rally work?

And who is going to put all of the time and effort into the planning, the organization, a location, scheduling a date with minimal conflict, the weather.... etc, etc, etc. Not all of us are retired, and can just take off whenever we want. :(

I think it is a good idea, but it is important not to bite off more than can be chewed. Many of us attend Americade and/or the Hoot. Do something while people are already together in one place.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Big D, I belong to the "Corvette Forum.com" and that message board started like this one. As the years went by, someone, like you, decided that maybe a "Crusin"(we cruise, not rally) should be started so everyone on the board could put a face with the name. They have it every year, in May, at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. I think it's their 5th or 6th year. It is very successful, with vendors, drag racing, road tours, evening get togethers for dinner, etc. I'll just bet with all the people on this board that there's a 'take charge' sort of a guy/guys or gals, that could do all that for this board. I've been on here since the beginning and nothing surprises me.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sounds good to me :clap2: ......how about Porta Pensco (aka Rocky Point) Mexico in April or May. Should be thawed enough for the Eastern riders and nice warm weather there. The city likes bikes....went there last Nov on another run. Sits on the Sea of Cortez, besides tourists it is a fishing village. Of course this is not a long run from my starting point...only 3 1/2 hours.

The FASTEST :yw1: Wing

·
Registered
430 Posts
GL1800 Riders Rally

Lest we all forget there already is a rally with riders from this board participating.
It's the Marble Falls, TX rally and last year there were close to 100 riders in attendance. This years count looks to be even larger.
And the great thing is that it is NEXT MONTH!!

Check out the general post section.

Don Saenz

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't know Don, I can only speak for myself but, my bike will still be snowed in next month.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
THEN THERE'S THE ARKANSAS GATHERING WITH BILL BARRY LATER IN THE YEAR AND THERE'S THE INFORMAL GATHERING FOR THE TENNESSEE LUNCH RUN NEXT MONTH TOO FOR THOSE THAT CAN'T MAKE IT TO TEXAS.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the idea...any excuse to ride somewhere!! Maybe we could start off with "regional" meets and work our way up. Something simple like a weekend meet with lots of advance notice and I think several folks would venture out. So, somebody make it happen and I'll be there!! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it is a great idea too. We went to the Arkansas Ride and had a blast. I think having it there is a good idea for 2 reasons. 1- It is located in the middle of the US. 2 there are a lot of great roads and attractions close by. It was a good time of the year weather wise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wasnt a member last year or at either gathering , but this year Iam a member and will be at both if at all possible. Ive made res. at Marble falls but I need to know the date on the Arkansas thing fling. :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Cool

Sounds like a great idea, I wish I could go to it. Dad gum Army wants me around right now, but I can pull a couple of weekends.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Paul Benson said:
... It is located in the middle of the US
Middle???? I guess I'd better break out my atlas again...

In keeping with the idea of Regional Rides, we're having the 2nd Annual 2.5 mile Mountain Run (in May, it looks like - but the date hasn't been solidified yet)

This one may be christened the "Volcano Run" - the intent is to hit six volcanoes in two days - keep an eye on the ride info thread and see if you can fit in your ride calendar this year.

It should be a blast!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Trips

If I hustle back from Marble Falls I can stop by my house, do a little laundry, change oil in the bike and make it to lunch in Tennessee. And if you are just lookin' for an excuse to ride to lunch check out the MTF
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/messages

But be careful, that group caused me to gain about 50 pounds last year. Well...MTF and a GWRRA Chapter. I know it wsn't my fault. I tried to resist all the food but didn't want to appear snobbish

:eat1:

Jerry

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mrgl02 wrote:
Gotta crawl before you can walk. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, but we can't even get 100 people to log onto this forum at the same time. If we can't do that, then how are we going to pull enough people in from all over the country to make something like a rally work?
The direct answer to your question is "I don't know" :?

I realise that there are quite a few people who are not as active on this board as some. I am one of those, but I can always manage to set aside time for rallys, the Hoot, Americade etc. Even though I am "semi Retired"( 5 days a week, not 7). I manage to crawl up on my bike. :yes:

It may take some time to put it all togeather. Maybe we should start with a poll to figure out who might be interested. Check with the vendors that frequent this site and see what their requirements would be. I for one would like to help but we will need much more than that. There have already been some positive points like regional meets to start, Porta Pensco, great roads in Arkansas.... If we could pull it off it would be a HOOT :biker: YEARS FROM NOW EVERYONE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT GOING TO THE 1800RIDERS.COM RALLY

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
BigD your idea sounds great to me. GLGENE and I rode down to Arkansas (near 900 miles one way) last October for thier great get together and had a great time. Bill,Curt and others did a fantastic job setting things up and makeing everyone feel welcome. I am sure there would be many board members interested in attending another event. Seems like June-August might be the ideal time for such an event. The poll idea sounds like a great help in choosing a location and time.

·
Registered
837 Posts
BigD
I'm just the opposite of you. With work and all, I don't have the time to ride the way I'd like to. I have to be careful how I spread my vacation time out, and I never seem to have enough. I'm lucky if I get to go to the rally in New Mexico each year. In fact, I didn't this past year.
I'd give my eye teeth to go to Marble Falls and meet everyone, but that work thing comes in again, along with still having a boy in Jr. High School.
So, you see, for a lot of us, it's not that we don't want to participate, we're just unable to.

I keep praying for retirement :cry:

G

·
0 Posts
It's a good idea...

I had a VTX before trading to a wing. We had a rally last year in Colorado and called it the Coloradical. What great fun, great roads, good meeting members. I am going again this year before coming back to the Wing Ding here at home.

There was a lot of work put into orgainzing rides, motels, events and everything else. We had over 120 bikes last year and have expectations of 300+. Rides are great and if someone, many someones, is willing to orgainze, I may try to come. Going to Marble Falls to meet some Wingers this year also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts