GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am planning to attend Rockies Gold this year. I would like to install a GL2way and Bike MP3 for this trip.
My questions are:
What accessory equipment will I need? I would like to have everything I will need to finish installation once I start it. Don't want to get into the job and find out I have to order something else.

I have read about a no ground plane system here on the board. Not sure what that is, but has something to do with there not being enough ground on the bike to give good transmission, and this is a work around?

I think I would like the radio and CB antena be one unit. Preferably the smaller black unit. Would prefer not to mount another antena, as I want to add a butler mug for the SO on the other side. Or does it mount on antena side?

The bike MP3 V3 unit. Does' it connect to the GL2way in some manner, or are they compleatly seperate units?

I am a competent electrical technician and believe I can install this equipment myself. Just haven't done any work with radio before. Are the instructions which come with these units good?

One last thing for now. How is the CB tuned after install? Does' this require any special equipment?

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
The GL2Way comes in a couple of different flavors, look at the website. Also has a video on installing the 2way. www.bikemp3.com

The CB can be purchased with a FRS option. Doesn't come with one, they can be bought cheap enough at Costco, Walmart, eBay, etc. What the option does is provide a cable to/from the FRS radio and the GL2Way. You can also buy a mic splitter cable to allow you to talk to your GPS if you have a bluetooth phone paired with your GPS (if the GPS has an audio in jack). Can also get a cable that goes from the audio output of your GPS to the 2Way.

Installation is pretty straight forward, do not need to remove the top shelter (helps but not necessary). Just need to loosen the right side of the shelter to run the plug&play cable harness up the right side. One hole in the bottom of the trunk where the unit goes for the harness. Unit is controlled via the handlebar switches you already have on your bike.

MP3 player even easier. I routed the cable through the harness hole made for the 2Way. I set the MP3 player on top of the 2Way in the trunk cubbyhole. MP3 player is controlled via the handle bar switches for your radio. It takes the place of the Honda CD changer, so it is controlled via the handlebar switches. Neat little system.

The mic splitter currently has an issue working with Garmin GPS systems. The volume output of the splitter is insufficient to adequately talk on the phone with someone. Pete at BIKEMP3 is working on an improved splitter, ETA ???.

I have both systems, and the FRS/CB option. Really makes a difference if you are riding with someone else that has a radio system. Much more enjoyable. Riding by yourself, not so much unless you like to talk with truckers.

You can buy it with a standard Honda type CB antennae, a Firestick CB antennae, or an all-in-one CB/AM/FM antennae, or what is called the NGP No Ground Plane antennae. You'll get different opinions, Pete says they're all about the same, depends on your personnal preference. I got the Standard Antennae, I personally like the balanced look. The bike, because of the limited amount of metal compared to a car, has less of a "ground plane" for the antennae signal to resonate against (do a google search to learn more). So some people opt for a NGP antennae which does not rely on the bike's metal plane to operate. Again, different strokes for different folks, opinions vary.

Hope this has answered your questions.

edit - regarding tuning - seems a majority of people don't worry about it. Most of the time you'll be pretty close with the stock setup. Just don't press the transmit button without an antennae attached - mucho bad for the output of the radio. My riding partner, no adjustment necessary. Me, took about a 1/2 inch off the antennae (use a dremel with a cutoff wheel if using the standard type antennae, the metal is pretty strong). You would use a SWR meter, when you are ready to do the installation and setup check with your local riding buddies, someone may have one to help you with - or come back to the board and beg (heard that offering cookies always helps :))

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
The mic splitter currently has an issue working with Garmin GPS systems. The volume output of the splitter is insufficient to adequately talk on the phone with someone. Pete at BIKEMP3 is working on an improved splitter, ETA ???.
Well actually I have to correct just one thing on most Garmin GPS units it works fine but the 665 and 660 ZUMO some units need more input than most headsets can give this is not a fault in the splitter which is just a 1:1 isolation but we are working on a modified/amplified version to make the effected headsets work with those GPS units

But thanks for the nice review of our products capabilities

·
Registered
628 Posts
SIE-GL18/15ANT-SINGLE2-HONDA GL1800 01-05 /94+ GL1500 SE SINGLE ANTENNA KIT - 2 FOOT
HONDA GL1800 01-05 /94+ GL1500 SE SINGLE ANTENNA KIT - 2 FOOT
Price: $90.00 This is the antenna that I have & use with my GL2way, it works very well & is tuned for our gl1800. It is plug & play, replaces your radio antenna. It is sold by Sierra Electronics. SIE-GL1806-SOLO2-HONDA O6 & UP GL-1800 SINGLE ANTENNA KIT - 2 FOOT
HONDA O6 & UP GL-1800 SINGLE ANTENNA KIT - 2 FOOT
GL-1800 OPTION: Please Select...AIRBAG MODEL NON-AIRBAG MODEL
Price: $100.00 Note, one is for 01-05 & the other is for 06 & up.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Well actually I have to correct just one thing on most Garmin GPS units it works fine but the 665 and 660 ZUMO some units need more input than most headsets can give this is not a fault in the splitter which is just a 1:1 isolation but we are working on a modified/amplified version to make the effected headsets work with those GPS units

But thanks for the nice review of our products capabilities

Pete, I asked you a couple of months ago if you are days, weeks, or months away from a useable MIC splitter for my Zumo 660 and you said it is in the final stages and will be available very soon.

UPDATE???? ETA????

:thumbup:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ssncob,
I do not have a nav unit of any type, nor am I blue tooth capable.
My bike is an 03.
I do not have any rideing buddies who are equiped with a CB at this time.
But when I attend rallies such as Rockies Gold I want to be able to communicate. So tunning the antena may be a problem.

Clancy,
Yes, that is the kind of attena I would like to have. However, I would prefer to purchase everything from Pedro. I like the reviews he gets here.

Pedro,
Do you carry the Sierra antena?
Guess I need to go to the site and start ordering. Just wanted some input as far as, be sure and get this, you will need it sort of thing.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
ssncob,
I do not have a nav unit of any type, nor am I blue tooth capable.
My bike is an 03.
I do not have any rideing buddies who are equiped with a CB at this time.
But when I attend rallies such as Rockies Gold I want to be able to communicate. So tunning the antena may be a problem.

Clancy,
Yes, that is the kind of attena I would like to have. However, I would prefer to purchase everything from Pedro. I like the reviews he gets here.

Pedro,
Do you carry the Sierra antena?
Guess I need to go to the site and start ordering. Just wanted some input as far as, be sure and get this, you will need it sort of thing.
We have the Sierra antenna's

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Pete, I asked you a couple of months ago if you are days, weeks, or months away from a useable MIC splitter for my Zumo 660 and you said it is in the final stages and will be available very soon.

UPDATE???? ETA????

:thumbup:
We have an AMP now but not happy with the power filtering as of yet, we will not have any time to do any further work for the next 2 weeks due to Wing Ding, anyone who knows me will tell you I do not give time scales on projects I have been bitten by the unexpected too many times to get caught again so I just tend to say when it won't be done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts