GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on another wing page. 'The Goldwing Owners' page. It started as a Nitrous post. What do you all think of this.....stuff?

"personaly I would have the computer unlocked and turn on full power. Dyno is 156 at back wheel, front tire three feet in air at start, 18 inches up in 2nd gear, 140 mph in third. How much more could you ask for?"

"This motorcycle was set to max computer settings by Honda for the p.d. factory setting is 135mph 97 to 100 hp by factory. dealers detuned them to 115 to 118. A friend who works for Honda ran the vin and computer # to find out what this bike was set up at. TOTAL WIDE OPEN! an experience I was not ready for when I bought it, but man do I like it. My buddies 08 is slow compared to mine."

You can program the computer for any settings you want. All it takes is a programer. By the way, to all non-belivers, SUCK IT UP!"

"If you do the research on the internet you will find it. Starting at 312.49$ I believe you can find it just like I did. Trust me, pulling the front wheel in second gear is CCCOOOOLLLL!!! Burying the speedo is too! But the most fun is watching the childern on crotch-rockets faces when you blow by! By the way, it is not made by Dyno jet."

Very interesting but "2003 GL1800Police" will not give any info other than what you read above...Urban Legends?

Gbrown

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,473 Posts
All BS. That has been posted before. The only real upgrade ever done was a $12,000 turbo custom fit. Even Honda can't reprogram the ECM, that's why they replaced the early ones at an attempt to fix the parade mode overheating issue.

You could put NOS on it, just count on replacing the engine shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECU Programmers

Here's the latest.
"Gbrown4223, So I guess you can not find it. I love mine and at the cost, it is the best thing I ever did. I own a repair shop and do not tell my customers how to fix their problems because if I did I would be out of business! This is how I make a living. If you are a carpenter, would you tell a person how to build a house at no charge? Did not think so."

Wow! This guy is really easy to bait...I guess I can't help myself! LOL
Gbrown

·
Registered
342 Posts
Creating a new ECM would not be a big deal if you were to reverse engineer it. One would have to take an existing ECM, desolder the PROM(s) and replace them with socket headers would be the first step.

Decompiling the factory PROM might take a while as the fuel maps are hidden in there, somewhere.....

It would be nice to create a dual images(factory + custom) on a single package so a circuit board to handle this would be required. While your at it you might as well add a USB port to make programming easier.

Now comes the fun part. Reprogramming the fuel curves an testing them on a dyno. Expensive, takes a lot of time. Then there's real world testing. More $$$.

I will say that I ave both the skills and access to the hardware to make this happen. All you have to do is send me a few sacrificial bikes and ton of money. In return you might get back one of the bikes in running shape plus a special circuit board and a PROM. Start up price, oh, say, $25,000?:nojoke:

This might be why this type of product is not on the open market.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Creating a new ECM would not be a big deal if you were to reverse engineer it. One would have to take an existing ECM, desolder the PROM(s) and replace them with socket headers would be the first step.

Decompiling the factory PROM might take a while as the fuel maps are hidden in there, somewhere.....

It would be nice to create a dual images(factory + custom) on a single package so a circuit board to handle this would be required. While your at it you might as well add a USB port to make programming easier.

Now comes the fun part. Reprogramming the fuel curves an testing them on a dyno. Expensive, takes a lot of time. Then there's real world testing. More $$$.

I will say that I ave both the skills and access to the hardware to make this happen. All you have to do is send me a few sacrificial bikes and ton of money. In return you might get back one of the bikes in running shape plus a special circuit board and a PROM. Start up price, oh, say, $25,000?:nojoke:

This might be why this type of product is not on the open market.
Sounds real cool, but it can't be done!!!

If it could, there are plenty of people on this forum with the expertise to do the programming; ya just can’t get to the insides without destroying everything to reverse engineer it!!!

·
Vendor
22,090 Posts
I've actually been working a project for over a year now on reprogramming the ECU for another motorcycle, and it is possible to do if you have the right tools and skills. We just finished reflashing the ECU on my Kawasaki a few weeks ago and the dyno testing shows some impressive gains in low end torque. We also raised my speed limiter.

I also was contacted by another company that "claims" they have already reprogrammed GoldWing ECU's, but as of yet, I haven't heard of any bikes it has actually been done to, so I don't know if they really have done it or not.

I did do some research into the above claims of a special ECU for Wings for Police use and contacted some dealerships that service police Wings to see if there was a special part number ECU for those bikes, and the reports I got back from the dealer were that the ECU part numbers were the same. However, this does not mean that there aren't gains to be had by changing the fuel and timing maps in the GL1800 ECU. Its very possible that you could get some more HP and torque out of the bike by leaning it out some and advancing the timing, but you have to be real careful doing this, and it has to be done on a dyno with a wideband sensor on the exhausts to monitor the A/F ratio. And if you advance the timing tables any, you run the real risk of causing pinging or detonation that can damage the engine over time, and you may have to run premium gas if you make changes to it. The other risk you run is to your warranty if Honda finds out you reprogrammed your ECU.

The company I have been dealing with on reprogramming ECU's is Guhl Motors out of Pennsylvania. http://www.guhlmotors.com/ I discussed the possibility of reflashing the Wing ECU with them a few weeks back and they said that they most likely could do the ECU on the Wing if someone wanted to send them one to try, but they would need a bike to put on a dyno to develop a new program for it. They are also working on a hand held reprogrammer tool to let you reflash your own ECU, but it isn't for sale just yet.

Another unknown at this point is if the early GL1800 ECU's are even able to be reprogrammed or not, and it will depend on who the manufacture of the ECU was and how it was made. The only way I know to find out for sure would be to send one to Guhl and let them do testing on it. I'm pretty sure all the 06 and later models can be reprogrammed, but I'm not so certain about the 01 thru 05 models.

The other company that told me they have already done the GL1800 ECU is Dynotronics, though I'm a bit skeptical that they really have done any, cause I have never heard from anyone that has had them do it to their bike.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Would not a set of oversized pistons (Not sure how far one could go on a GL1800), with a 10.5:1 compression and maybe a mild regrind on the cams be a lot cheaper and produce more significant HP/Torque gains?

91 octane would be a must...

:shrug:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I doubt it would be cheaper. A typical ECU reflash service costs between $300 - $400. Try removing the engine and rebuilding it with new pistons and camshafts for $400.

Furthermore, if you make changes to the cam profile or piston size, you need to make corresponding changes to the fuel map, which means you'd need to reflash the ECU anyway.
True, true.... Just wondering how long (units sold) it would take to cover the mentioned $25,000 cost of developing the reflash... :coffee1:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ECU Programmers

He said he'd do it for 312.49 for programer + tax and 75.00 labor
Hmm

·
Registered
342 Posts
True, true.... Just wondering how long (units sold) it would take to cover the mentioned $25,000 cost of developing the reflash... :coffee1:
$25k plus two mules would get you a beta product that YOU can sell. We would have to talk about royalties on each board and PROM. Remember my design would allow you to return to normal at any time and could be reprogramed in th field with anyone with a PC.

But to be realistic about all this to get real performance out of the GL1800 engine many, many mods would/could be made requiring a large investment on the part of the end user. I would think the market would be very small.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds real cool, but it can't be done!!!

If it could, there are plenty of people on this forum with the expertise to do the programming; ya just can’t get to the insides without destroying everything to reverse engineer it!!!

Naw, the hardware is the easy part. The software takes longer/costs more.
Done this kind of stuff for 25+ years.

·
Vendor
22,090 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ECU Programmers

I wish I did have the $, I'd check it out. And he'd have to live a little closer.
I looked at the unit you've seen and it seems to say you've got to plug it into a power commander via the USB, but power commander doesn't make one for the GL1800. Did I get that right?
Gb

·
Vendor
22,090 Posts
I wish I did have the $, I'd check it out. And he'd have to live a little closer.
I looked at the unit you've seen and it seems to say you've got to plug it into a power commander via the USB, but power commander doesn't make one for the GL1800. Did I get that right?
Gb
Yea, I'm a bit confused on what this is too. I called both 1 tail and Power Commander and it appears that what they are selling is simply the LCD display for the Power Commander, and it will NOT work on a GoldWing and will NOT reprogram the ECU. Something smells rotten here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ECU Programmers

Yeah Fred, I agree. How could this fellow be the only one (apparently) that holds this secret.
'Somethings rotten in the state of denmark.'
Gb

1 - 20 of 85 Posts