GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is familiar with bleeding the clutch system on a GL1200 ('87 Aspy), I could use some help.

My wife's bike has no clutch at all. After checking the fluid reservoir, I found it to be low enough that air has entered the system.

My question is, can I use my Mity Vac down on the clutch slave to draw the air out, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
At the Vac may not work, simply because the Gl1200 clutch is the hardest to bleed.
This how-to page has a video clip showing a great tip on bleeding the clutch, when you have already tried and failed. Cover the adjacent bodywork as it can get messy.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwingclutchbleeding.htm

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the Vac may not work, simply because the Gl1200 clutch is the hardest to bleed.
This how-to page has a video clip showing a great tip on bleeding the clutch, when you have already tried and failed. Cover the adjacent bodywork as it can get messy.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwingclutchbleeding.htm
Thanks Norman, that's what I was trying to avoid by using my Mity Vac. Brake fluid can spray everywhere with that method. I'm trying a few things first, but if all else fails...

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well live and learn. There is just no easy way to bleed a GL1200 master cylinder except at the banjo bolt. After trying and failing with a couple of different methods, I cracked the banjo and bled it there. In just a few pumps of the clutch lever, it was bled. If you are really careful, it's not even very messy.

Mother Honda must have changed the design for the GL1500 and 1800 because the GL1200 is much harder to bleed than newer models.

After I got the air out of the master, I bled the slave and all is well again. I am back in my wife's good graces! :lol:

Thanks to Norman and Rocky (by PM) for the help. This Forum ROCKS! :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts