GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help a friend check out his bank angle sensor on his 88 GL1500. Does anyone know which two connections from the sensor to short out to fool the ECU into thinking the angle sensor is in the OK or RUN position?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The bank angle sensor is located near the frame just forward of the right hand saddle bag. If the sensor is disconnected, the bike will run just fine but it will not shut off if tipped over...not a good thing from a safety point. The tip over sensor is "reset" by bringing the bike upright and turning the ignition key to OFF and then back to ON.

Those sensors came from the factory with a liquid inside them to dampen the sensor so it would not be triggered by going over a bumpy road. Think of the sensor like a tiny bell with the dinger dangling straight down. If the bell is tipped to the side, the dinger touches the side of the bell and completes an electrical circuit which turns OFF the ignition.

The problem is that on some of the production sensors, the cases were porous and allowed the fluid to evaporate out, especially on bikes located in dry desert conditions. Once the fluid evaporates, the dinger can touch the sides and complete the circuit much more freely so you get all kinds of false tip-over activation of that circuit. You could probably just remove and then shake the sensor by hand to give you an idea if there is still fuild in there or not.

I had thought all of those problem sensors were replaced out by Honda over five years ago. Before I figured out what the real problem was, I replaced out the ignition switch and that required that all of the other key locks be replaced out as well so the one key still opened all of the locks. The cost of the bank angle sensor is minimal so if I were your friend, I would just buy a new one, install it, and forget about all the troubleshooting hassle. Then go ride the wheels off that sucker! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts