GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now 1500 miles into the Double Darkside Conversion on my '96 Aspencade...BT45 front and Comtrac 175 -75 rear CT....

I have been experiencing some angst over this as I learn about what I was feeling versus what I thought was happening under the rear end. The ride is different and after many years and many miles on a Round Tire I couldn't get it straight in my mind what was goig on when I felt certain sensations...It was sometimes very disconcerting.

There are many reasons to LOVE the CT. I know you know...

But I needed more information to connect the dots from my 'feel' to my 'ideas'.

This past weekend I had a buddy follow me and describe to me what the tire was doing when I felt certain things I was uneasy about. I wanted to know how much rubber was on the road, how the tire was deflecting, and when did it 'tip' rather than flex.

He and I ran around on back roads at various speeds through twisty and easy curves. He gave me detailed real time descriptions about what he saw and I compared that with what I felt.

Now this NEW KNOWLEDGE is starting to make sense to my posterior as I ride the darkside...and it makes it ever more comfortable to know what the tire is doing when I feel something different than before...

Just a brief update for those who would know...:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with us!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I am now 1500 miles into the Double Darkside Conversion on my '96 Aspencade...BT45 front and Comtrac 175 -75 rear CT....

I have been experiencing some angst over this as I learn about what I was feeling versus what I thought was happening under the rear end. The ride is different and after many years and many miles on a Round Tire I couldn't get it straight in my mind what was goig on when I felt certain sensations...It was sometimes very disconcerting.

There are many reasons to LOVE the CT. I know you know...

But I needed more information to connect the dots from my 'feel' to my 'ideas'.

This past weekend I had a buddy follow me and describe to me what the tire was doing when I felt certain things I was uneasy about. I wanted to know how much rubber was on the road, how the tire was deflecting, and when did it 'tip' rather than flex.

He and I ran around on back roads at various speeds through twisty and easy curves. He gave me detailed real time descriptions about what he saw and I compared that with what I felt.

Now this NEW KNOWLEDGE is starting to make sense to my posterior as I ride the darkside...and it makes it ever more comfortable to know what the tire is doing when I feel something different than before...

Just a brief update for those who would know...:thumbup:
Carl, where did you end up on tire pressure? Don had to play with his to get it to do what felt "right" to him and if I remember, he ended up at about 44 psi. We just finished a 5k mile trip in 10 days and 22 states. He LOVES the tire after getting used to it and learning to trust the different input. Trust it, it is a great tire! :thumbup:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pressure

I had it up to a high of 50 LBS (max air in this tire is 69lbs) and as low as 41....Right now I am at 45LBS adn it feels good...

Over the weekend I had a good load on the rear with camping equipment, chairs, etc in my carry box weighing in at about 40lbs on a pakit rack style carrier I built...The pressure felt a little low for that while I was running loaded so up to 50 for a loaded bike...

I ride 95% of the time solo - but when I get 2 up I will go up to 50 psi ...solo everyday I am at 45 ....Getting better every time I ride it...

Now all we gotta do is find more of these babys....;)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I am now 1500 miles into the Double Darkside Conversion on my '96 Aspencade...BT45 front and Comtrac 175 -75 rear CT.......I felt certain things I was uneasy about. I wanted to know how much rubber was on the road, how the tire was deflecting, and when did it 'tip' rather than flex....
> I'm confused... Are you saying that there was a Problem with the DS Conversion (eg using 2 DS tires), or just that it felt Odd and that you had to get used to it?

> What's the Full Name for these CT's?... Are they run flats?

> Is the BT45 the same size as the stock cycle tire? Any handling difference attributable to the change?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
...He LOVES the tire after getting used to it and learning to trust the different input. Trust it, it is a great tire! :thumbup:
> Which tire are you referring to?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Have a friend that wants to put a CT on his 1500, what size and brand did you go with?
And is it a RF?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front - Bridgestone BattlAx BT45 running in reverse
Same size as OEM

Rear - Vredestein Comtrac 175 - 75 Radial light truck / van tire. NOT a RUNFLAT

Not currently available in the US - I bought the last 2 one could find anywhere. I shared my find with Revrunt for his buddys bike...

I am getting used to the way it feels, rides performs...

One theory for the way it feels is that it has a higher sidewall than most fo the Darkside tires currently being used...That makes it feel like it is floating absorbing many of the bumps...but it is close to the same as the OEM Round tire too ...so....I don't know what to expect about that...

The turning feedback is different..not bad..just different than RT's ....It seems to turn in a 1/2 sec later than RT's (to me). But once it sets itself for the turn...you turn!...It can be a little unsettling to initiate a turn and then have to wait the extra beat before it turns...

I am still learning how far leaned over I can go versus how it feels under me...I KNOW I can go through sweepers faster than before....but tight tight (read:hairpin) turns are different than before and I am adjusting to that...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts