GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would throw it out here as many of you had GL1500 Wings and many have Valks still.

Have a friend's Valkarie Interstate. He bought it used with 2500 miles on it. It now has 5600. Since he got it, there has been blue smoke coming out of the left exhaust bank upon start up only. Once it clears out, it is fine and burns no other oil. Only does this after sitting on the side stand. If he stops the motor and is on the bike upright, it does not happen.

Dealer replaced the head gasket and said it was foled over and probably leaking. Problem still occurred. Just got it back today and dealer did the valve guides. Rode it home 30 miles, let it sit on the side stand for a half hour, started it up and the problem is still there. Dealer says a new motor is probably next. Any ideas what this might be? This is all under warranty, but figure this should be an easy problem to fix.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It depends on the quantity, it is completely normal for flat engines in motorcycles to smoke on start up after sitting on the side stand, a little oil gets into the low side cylinders and smokes for a few seconds after startup, if the engine is a little overfilled on oil it makes the problem worse. It sounds like the dealer doesn't have much experience with Gold Wings, if he did he would already know this. This is not just a Gold Wing problem, when I bought a BMW in 1974 I found out that they do it also, like I said, it's a flat engine thing.

You don't see it as much these days as you used to, this was real common on the older models, the factory has made some improvements that help, but don't entirely eliminate the problem.

Reminder: Engines that are overfilled with oil are much more likely to have this problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Howard - Had a 96 for many years before I purchased my 2001. Mine had the same blue smoke when it was parked with the side stand. It did not smoke when parked on the center stand. It is a common unwanted feature on the 1500's but it is not a problem. Mine had 96,000 miles on it when it was sold. Purred like a kitten. Great ride.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I hate to be tactless, but why should I change now?

Likely as not, your friend's smoky startups are caused by overfilling the crankcase with oil - not uncommon on bikes with no centerstand.

First, I can't believe this dealer actually got authorization to do this work on warranty, especially with the transient nature of "the problem" and no real oil usage issue. Secondly, I can't believe he tore open a perfectly good motor -twice- for a transient issue. If the valve guides were at fault, the smoke wouldn't stop after startup. Same for a leaking head gasket. A good downhill run with the throttle closed would result in a cloud of smoke when he juiced it up again. And has anyone ever heard of any 1500 motor with less than 100K on it needing valve guides...on one side only? Finally, valve guides and gaskets don't magically go bad on the sidestand, cure themselves while vertical, then go bad again on the sidestand. Maybe this dealer is caving in to your friend's demands that they do "something?" Or maybe he's just plain ignorant. Hard to say without knowing both sides of the story.

My advice, provided the dealers efforts haven't worsened the original situation, is to adjust the oil level to midway between full and add with the bike held vertical, and stay away from that dealer's service department!

S

·
0 Posts
My 1500 had 75k on it and would do the same if I left it sit for any long time. I never had to add oil between changes so I would let it be unless you are running through quantities of oil.

I agree with the rest.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I don't think that I ever had a 1500 that did not smoke on start up, when left on the side stand for a couple of days or more.

I doubt seriously if your bud has a problem.

Well he might have one, the Dealer. But not being there, perhaps your friend is being so insistent that the dealer is willing to do something to appease your bud.

Either way, if it didn't smoke, I might be concerned.

Bulldog

S

·
0 Posts
It may smoke a little but at least it doesn't drink and chase around :lol:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would emagine that you could get several hundred replys all the same as the previous ones. My 93 1500 did it almost since it was new. I am just surprised that the dealer did not know about this "problem" and went to the extent that he did. Just put it on the centerstand if you have one.

At any rate don't think about it just get on and enjoy the ride....

·
Chard Member
13,050 Posts
I can't remember seeing a Valk smoke upon start-up unless it had been sitting for a extra long time. I can't remember any of my 1500 Wings smoking either. Maybe I rode them too much. I haven't seen a 1800 puff yet either. I'll take that back. My '01 went up in smoke once! LOL.... :D

I do remember the 1,000's and the 1,100's smoking.

The BMW 1200LT is bad for that also.

The major problem was people wanted to overfill the crankcases.

Whatever is happening with that Valk, it should be corrected.

Hey Stu....Honda wanted to put valve guides in my '01 when it blew the clutch seal at 7,500 miles! We sat there laughing our butts off!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Dealer is Milking Mom

Ditto all the above, especially Stu Olt....!

Here's my question, "why would anyone that lives in Harleysville, ride a Honda?" :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts