GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now that I have 500 miles on the new michelin CT, I am loving it!!:excited:
The SO and I just got back from a 265 mile trip to Mt Mitchell and she was really nervous about riding on th CT, but after the trip today she is happy with its comfort.:tongue:

My question is: My older brother, the doubting Thomas that he is and you know that older brohters know everything :bow: said that he would just stick with his MT. However, after talking to me about the difference in the 500 miles I have made, wants to know if a CT will fit on his 1500 and if so what size and will it fit a stock rim?
Thanks for your help in advance! John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This is the tire i run on my 1500
Dunlop, 175-60-16 run flat.

I love mine, 34 psi sometimes 36 psi.
Very smooth ride.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just recently mounted a CT on my ST1100A.
I have a little over 2K miles on it now and don't see myself going back any time soon. I have used the GL1500 wheel as it is a match for the ST's drive. I had to shift it to the left some but all is well.
My question if I could, is there a ready source for 175 60 16 tires that I have not found yet. I am running a Bridgestone Turanza and it is fine but I would like to look at options for when I need another.
Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum Big!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just recently mounted a CT on my ST1100A.
I have a little over 2K miles on it now and don't see myself going back any time soon. I have used the GL1500 wheel as it is a match for the ST's drive. I had to shift it to the left some but all is well.
My question if I could, is there a ready source for 175 60 16 tires that I have not found yet. I am running a Bridgestone Turanza and it is fine but I would like to look at options for when I need another.
Thanks, Mark

Tire Rack... Cheers

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6WS3DROF&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat(Performance Winter/Snow)

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Click thumbnails to view above. Most approximate photos shown View Full Screen Photo.

Set of 1: $134.00

Add To Cart Shipping Quote Add to Wish List

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Several are finding the Vredestein Comtrac 175/75R16 is an great tire for the 1500. I have a buddy who has used a 195/55/16 zeix that had a bit of clearance problem, even though it did wear completely down to the wear bars, he then ran a 175/60/16 and now has the vredestein. The latter is by FAR his favorite. The only two problems with this tire are #1 FINDING one and #2 it has a lower speed rating (only about 100 mph if I remember correctly.) than most CT's as it is a light truck tire.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
More cookies I get it !

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Welcome to the darkside Mark! My riding buddy also has an 1100 and has asked me to help him cross over to the enlightened darkside. In fact I have already fixed him up with a Dunlop winter sport. He already has his rim and now needs me to make those .350" spacers. If, by any chance you have those measurements, and willing to share them, I would be most appreciative. :bow:

·
Registered
870 Posts
My experience

I am running Double Dark on my 1500 right now.

I was fortunate to find a Vredestein Comtrac 175-75 .

It MAY be the best choice ever for the 1500. However they are not available right now in the USA.

Some have tried the Austone 175 (Google is your friend) but it is a tad bit larger in overall diameter (may be a 175-78?)...It needs to be mounted an dthe inner mudflap bent forward and up a little bit to allow for the fraction of an inche it is larger. The good news is you can find them...

A 185 width should fit but anything over about 26-3/4" in overall diameter will be a challenge...So you need to do the math....

Or click here and enter the numbers...
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

The 175-75 is almost spot on for RPM's from the OEM. It is marginally oversized and at 3000 RPM I gan about 1-2 MPH in speed. Not enough to realize any MPG gain but that is not why I changed...

The 175-60 WILL increase your RPM's slightly but many have reported no change in MPG. I can believe tha as I think the MPG is not affected by RPMs as much as the DRAG at 67+MPH (the 3000RPM barrier).

Best of luck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts