GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 Gold Wing and love that bike. I bought it new and enjoy each and every ride. Recently, I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to buy another bike and give the wing a break in town and use it for the longer rides. After looking at all new bike I was at our local watering hole and a coulpe of guys rode in on vintage bikes. This got me to thinking, look at something like that.
Well I did and then decided to just ride for the summer and review it over the winter and pick something up next year. I stumbled across a bike as we stopped a little coffee outside of the city. I ended up buying it.
2002 Honda VTX 1800 (fully dressed but only setup for one rider)
under 10k miles and in very good shape. So I bought it.
Currently have my wing in getting a few scratches touched up so riding only the VTX. I have realized how spoiled I have been with the wing. I did not realize how much wind I was not experiencing due to the wing (prefer the wing). The power is very impressive of the VTX but handling and ride not as smooth. I just wanted to say, I do not think I will ever be without a Gold Wing. Although I like the VTX, everything the Wing offers is even more appreciated now. I love the Wing even though I have had it for 7 years, looking forward to many more miles.
Don't get me wrong, the VTX is impressive but, loving the wing even more as I realize how naked these other bikes are. Yes I am a very satisfied Honda customer.

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
Nice write up. Wind and buffeting are two different things. To each his own. I like the wind but not when it buffets the helmet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Trade the gigantic V-Twin for something that is noted to be nimble. You’ve added a second behemoth class motorcycle, and not one that was well received by others in the marketplace.

Get something smaller and lighter. Triumph Street Triple, Triumph Bonneville or similar, one of the new 650 Royal Enfields.

These have an upright riding position, and very nice handling. They’re not real sport bikes, but they have decent power. They will all handle nicely. None will set you back much. The new 650 Royal Enfields come with 3 year warranty and road side assistance for $5799 in the simplest trim. It’s the end of the season and there are leftovers to be negotiated.

There is nothing wrong with a VTX, but the things a VTX does well, the Gold Wing does better. That won’t be true for the sub 500 pound bikes I’ve mentioned. They will not overlap the Wing’s wheelhouse nearly as much, and they will beat the Wing in the areas where they excel.

Reactions: Cardfan and mcoop57

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
The X is a sweet ride. If it has stock seats, uggggghhhh! But THE most comfy seat my butt has enjoyed was an Ultimate for the X and the pillion was hugely happy too. It will take some time to master slow drills with it, it s LONG.

prs

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a goldwing and decided to sale it and buy a VTX 1800 Touring thought I would be just as happy with it as the goldwing after two years riding the VTX I sold it and bought another Goldwing. Just can't beat the ride and comfort of the wing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts