GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
4,572 Posts
moved to the general board.....
Hey Pat. Welcome to the forum.
"Does anyone add chrome?" Sir, it doesn't matter what color your 1800 is, most of us love adding chrome! >:)

Welcome again to the board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
i agree "it doesn't matter what color your 1800 is" , I owned a red, a red cherry, and a black
Now i have a Grey Metallic / Black, I was wondering if some chrome would be nice on it, so iI am looking for some pics.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Just depends if you like chrome on your bike. Personally I really like the new blacked out look and would keep it that way, but that's just me. Different strokes for different folks. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My black/grey/gold 2016 has a chrome trunk rack, only because it was thrown in as part of the deal and I forgot to ask for black. Otherwise, there is no chrome on mine.

My previous red 2006 had lots of chrome. Thought I'd try a different approach this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fond exhausts extension ugly. On m'y previous GL I had installed turdown, but I do not find it on black, did someone change it on his bike ?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I just got a new 2017, blue/black, and unfortunately I can't find some stuff I want in black... Like the wide clutch and brake levers. Not sure what I'll do there. I like the feel of the wider ones.

I got the black Kuryakyn ISO grips and bar end weights but I couldn't find black ISO throttle bosses. So I got the chrome bosses. I think the chrome in between will look ok and it will be reminiscent of the the valve covers with the chrome strip in between. I couldn't find black Kuryakyn passenger armrests so I have chrome. The antennas an mounts are chrome so I guess it goes ok. I will keep the chrome to minimum on this new one.

I was able to get black transformer boards, rider boards with heel/toe shifter, and Ergo III highway pegs. So I'm glad of that.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
My black/grey/gold 2016 has a chrome trunk rack, only because it was thrown in as part of the deal and I forgot to ask for black. Otherwise, there is no chrome on mine.

My previous red 2006 had lots of chrome. Thought I'd try a different approach this time.
====================================================================================================

Had my 1986 Yamaha Venture chrome rack powder coated Black for my 2016 GL. Yes they can powder coat over chrome when prepped right.
$68 and I'm carrying on some heritage of my first touring bike!

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your answers. I didn't find any exhaust extension "turndown" in black, this is the only thing I am looking for at this moment

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Powder coating the turn downs should be fine. I don't believe the heat at the turndowns will be an issue. Powder coats are cured at 450 degrees.

Just a possible option if Black is not available.

Corventure Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts