GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a certified wannabenewbee. While shoping around a bit for an 06/07 GL1800 I flipped through an owner's manual the salesman gave me.

I did not see any specific references to additional maintenance/inspection requirements for the air bags or for the anti lock brakes. For instance, on my BMW the brake fluid must be changed annually.

Q: What are additional requirements, if any, are there for the GL1800 airbags/ABS.

Thanks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
jim scoggins said:
I am a certified wannabenewbee. While shoping around a bit for an 06/07 GL1800 I flipped through an owner's manual the salesman gave me.

I did not see any specific references to additional maintenance/inspection requirements for the air bags or for the anti lock brakes. For instance, on my BMW the brake fluid must be changed annually.

Q: What are additional requirements, if any, are there for the GL1800 airbags/ABS.

Thanks.
As a rule of thumb brake fluid is good for 2 years, sounds like BMW just wants to keeps its techs empolyed but who knows were there updated ABS systems.

If you plan on doing your own maintiance on your wing you will be suprised as there is not all that much that you cant do. There is a DVD out there by Fred http://hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/pr ... =239385401 that is supposed to have all the info out there for the do it your selfer.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I R&R brake fluid when I change brake pads. Lots of folks do it more often... your choice. My truck has dual airbags and nary a word about servicing them in the manual. I imagine the GL is the same way.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The manual should specify changing brake fluid every year or 12K miles. I do it every two years, as I was told by a Honda factory service rep that this was OK.

·
Registered
755 Posts
This is one of those things that make you go "hummm".

How often do we change the brake fulid in our cages?????

:?: :?: :drive1: :?: :?:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
kg5ie wrote:

How often do we change the brake fulid in our cages?????
Excellent point!!

I find, very often, that motorcyclists, and especially those that post to boards like these are "tinkerers"...we like to tinker with our machines because it is fun.

All the motorcycles, cars, trucks, tractors etc that I have ever owned...I NEVER even thought about "CHANGING" brake fluid as a scheduled maintainence.

As for airbags...what is there to maintain? Nothing.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I auto mechanic advised me that changing the brake fluid was not required unless there is a problem. He said it was a sealed unit, and is not exposed to the heat like a m/c.

Did change the fluid in the car at 60K when I had the brakes done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts