GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GL1800. I have noticed that when I brake, regardless of how hard, the forks almost bottom out (about 1 to 1 1/2" exposed). Questions are

1. Approximately how much of your fork tube is exposed when sitting on the side or center stand?

2. When braking, can you see about how much of the fork tube is exposed (if you look down along the fork)?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think I can give you the info you are looking for but in a different way. I put a zip tie on my fork leg and then see how high the lower fork moves it on the fork tube. With the front wheel off the ground and the forks extended there is 6" between the rubber dust cover and the lower triple clamp. Off of the center stand with me (170 lbs.) on the seat the forks have collapsed 2 3/4". Riding around the block without braking heavy or hitting and bumps the forks have moved up another 2". That leaves approximately another 3/4" of travel for heavy braking or big bumps. This is with the stock springs. I have since changed to Traxxion springs which has raised the bike (or given me more effective travel) of 1".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts