GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at backrests and the Utopia caught my eye. There are some great reviews on it..

But what I really want to hear is what YOU all think of it, and is there something better?

Thanks for you time,
matt caswell

2006 TiWing

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It's a GREAT backrest. Can't imagine having any other kind.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I like mine very much! It is adjustable and you can fold it a couple of ways to make the mounting of the bike easier. I will be installing the pin instead of the bolt to be able to take it off in 2 seconds flat.
Good luck! You will not regret buying it, be carefull cutting into the seat if it is heated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know some don't care for the support arm that's it's attached to, but I really like the Khrome Werks backrest and armrests I got. The backrest is adjustable in 3 positions and looks like it was original equipment. The chrome is first rate! Also, the backrest folds forward for easy loading of your passenger.

FWIW....

Scott

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mattcaswell said:
I've been looking at backrests and the Utopia caught my eye. There are some great reviews on it..

But what I really want to hear is what YOU all think of it, and is there something better?

Thanks for you time,
matt caswell

2006 TiWing
Thank you all for your input. The only issue now is talking myself into spending the $$$$. But I can normally win that arguement!

Matt

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Utopia is the way to go. I also feel its the best bang for the buck in rider's backrest.

You can save about $20 and about 6 weeks in shipping by not going direct to Utopia. There are several vendors online that Utopia always seems to re-supply first.

There's a great video on the Utopia site on how to install along with photos as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Matt, I agree with Cptdenny on the Utopia. I installed it on my '06 & love it. The wife really likes it because of no bars to rub her knees. By the way Capt Denny, where did you get the art work done on your bike?
Mel 8)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
mrmegoo said:
By the way Capt Denny, where did you get the art work done on your bike?
Mel 8)
I got my pin stripping done at the National Bikers Round Up that was held in Ft. Pierce FL last month. The fellow that did it was from Texas, I can find his card if you think you want to find him. I paid $285 with tax.

I also noticed that Red got a real cool looking pin stripping as well, might want to ask him also.

Red said:
Alley Kats.... no other muffler I would use on my 1800! :wink:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
mattcaswell said:
No.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Utopia or Utopia "Style" for me. There are a couple more that work like the Utopia but cost less.

Back when Utopia was new on the market and they had a hard time keeping up with demand I bought another brand; it worked just as well and looked just as good.

If I had to replace my back rest, I would prob go with one of the less expensive Utopia style rests. :wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Utopia

I was nervous about cutting the seat, and made a small mistake. However, it was fairly easy to install ( I followed pictues and instructions I found on this site ) if I paid close enough attention to the directions. It has been absolutely terrific. Easy to adjust, both for me and to keep it out of the way of my passenger. Go for it!!

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
I have the Utopia and I am in the minority here,I would not reorder. Not that the Utopia is not good I like the feel of a seat without the backrest better. SO if you can sit on a bike with the backrest before purchasing

·
Registered
241 Posts
Excellent back rest. Be sure to get the removable pin so you can detach the back rest with ease when you don't want to use it. Being able to take off the back rest for short around-town trips...or whenever is really a plus. I frequently start my trips with it stashed in the Uni-Go, and only attach it when I feel I need the support.

The only draw back is that it can get a little hot and sticky in the summer. Air Rider makes a nice back rest cover, but it is a bit costly.

The Utopia is an excellent and well functioning product, though..especially with the removable hinge pin.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Matt, without a doubt the Utopia backrest kept me from selling my '04 wing this year! My back is really messed up and would spasm after 1 day of riding, :( I installed it and been riding all I want since. I like the adjustable features and no bars for the passenger to deal with. I can adjust the forward/back bolt while I'm riding with 2 fingers!!! Hope this helps your decision. :D

·
Registered
755 Posts
Any problems installing the Utopia with heated seats? I have seen their special bracket, and read their instrucitons, but I sure would like to hear some personal experiences in doing the install.

Thnx,

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
dont go for the pin just get the removable back rest instead!!!

when removed it leaves nothing but a velcro cover on the seat,no pins to mess with and loose!!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
kg5ie said:
Any problems installing the Utopia with heated seats? I have seen their special bracket, and read their instrucitons, but I sure would like to hear some personal experiences in doing the install.

Thnx,
Not at all if you just follow the very simple instruction or just view the video of it being done. Much easier install on the wing than it was on my Burgman AN650.

I too have a heated '06 seat

If your near me I can do it for you within 15 minutes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts