GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of carrying one of those small jump packs for just in case situations. I guess my question would be if there is a general size that should be used on a gl1800 as our batteries are a lot smaller than auto batteries or is it not a big deal to use one off these on a bike?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
No issues. The problems people have had jumping a motorcycle from something else has been related to the charging system on the "donor vehicle" overloading something on the bike. Having a "too big of a battery" that is not hooked up to any active charging system will not be a problem. The bike will only pull as many amps as it needs to cover bleeding power into the dead battery, run the starter, and power the electronics that are on especially ECM and coils. I have jumped many motorcycles from cars and even trucks, but all of them have been with the donor vehicle engine not running. If it is a stranger helping, I show them the "tiny" batter on the bike and that eases any concerns about killing their battery in the process. Their battery is much bigger and is more than enough to cover what is needed to start the bike and start their car after. Only jumping a bike from a bike has ever had the engine running on the donor.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was thinking of carrying one of those small jump packs for just in case situations. I guess my question would be if there is a general size that should be used on a gl1800 as our batteries are a lot smaller than auto batteries or is it not a big deal to use one off these on a bike?
"one of those small jump packs"...
Did you have any makes or models in mind? I'm interested too, as my 2008 OEM Yuasa battery could go anytime and I'd like to be prepared for the coming heat stress of summer. There was a thread maybe 4-6 months back on this and everyone seemed to agree the small jump packs worked quite well. I was a disbeliever but ended up convinced something the size of an old pager could actually start a GL.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I carry a small Stanley unit. It's not exactly a "jump" pac, more of a battery booster/recharger. It will plug into my battery tender pigtail and I have tested it and it works. It's small enough to fit in the space where I removed the CD player unit from the trunk on my 2001.
It will also charge cell phones, etc when camping/traveling, as well as having a built in light. Handy, but best if I won't ever need it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a couple of NOCO Boost units (GB20 & GB50), they have several models to choose from depending on size/type of vehicle engine and use theGB20 for my Goldwing, RZR, car and electric start lawn equipment & GB50 on my diesel pickup - here's a link to NOCO website.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

Not a big deal.....!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Watch this. I learn a ton from project farm.

I can save you 20 minutes. The winner is

Audew Upgraded Car Jump Starters, Jump Box 2000A Peak 20000mAh Battery Charger Automotive(up to All Gas and 8.5L Diesel), 12V Battery Booster with 3 Modes LED Flashlight and Dual QC USB Ports Amazon.com: Audew Upgraded Car Jump Starters, Jump Box 2000A Peak 20000mAh Battery Charger Automotive(up to All Gas and 8.5L Diesel), 12V Battery Booster with 3 Modes LED Flashlight and Dual QC USB Ports: Automotive

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, practically DDL that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the ideas as to where to look I'll start with these ideas

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a couple of NOCO Boost units (GB20 & GB50), they have several models to choose from depending on size/type of vehicle engine and use theGB20 for my Goldwing, RZR, car and electric start lawn equipment & GB50 on my diesel pickup - here's a link to NOCO website.
Well I thought I wanted one till I saw the prices. I might just consider preemptively replacing my MC batter at some of those prices. A jump starter like this would be a one-off use thing for me; as soon as I had a no start I'd have to figure out why and fix it permanently, not relying of one of these. But thanks for the link.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well I thought I wanted one till I saw the prices. I might just consider preemptively replacing my MC batter at some of those prices. A jump starter like this would be a one-off use thing for me; as soon as I had a no start I'd have to figure out why and fix it permanently, not relying of one of these. But thanks for the link.
I think I paid about $20 for the Stanley unit at Fleet Farm.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I have a little jump pack in all my vehicles and patrol unit. I've used them many times, including on the wing when I putz around testing things out and not running the engine.They work great, biggest item is make sure you get the polarity right when you hook them up, especially on the wing - very polarity sensitive. I usually can't connect to the positive post with the clamp, so I connect the negative clamp on the battery, then just hold the positive to the terminal and reach up to the starter switch.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Yes, you can replace your battery every few years. That still doesn't stop a "new" battery from failing when you're not close to home. I paid $79 for an Anti-Gravity brand. They were the first one to come out with the lithium battery pack.
It also can charge your cell phone and laptop. Built in flashlight and strobe. Mine is 400ah, more than enough to start the Wing. I've even started a Dodge Durango V8 with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Get One. You never know when you come out of your favorite Food stop and the bike don't start because it turns over too slow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought these things were a joke, until i was riding with a group and one of the Harley guys left his key on killing his battery. Someone used one of these things and it started right up. I bought one of the units linked here from Amazon to test out. The first jump I did was on a Ford E350 V8. The battery was completely dead. It started instantly. I was so impressed, I got another. One in my Expi, and one in my GL1800 Trike.

·
Canuck
2,803 Posts
My bike battery died at a campsite many years ago. The campsite manager came over with a large, suitcase-size machine and started me right up. Fast forward to about two years ago, I saw them on sale. Much smaller, easily fit into the side saddlebag with plenty of room to spare. I remembered my experience at the campsite, and bought one for the bike and one for the car. Not too much later I was in parking lot and a fellow with a Suzuki V-Strom had a dead battery. Hooked up the jump starter, and his bike roared to life. He, myself and his buddies all became believers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts