GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am supposed to pick up my 04 Black Cherry sometime this next week and I was wondering what your opinion on proper engine break-in is. I have read a lot on the net and get all kinds of advice from drive it like you stole it to be gentle and take it easy. My feeling is that there is somewhere in between that is the most reasonable. Your opinions will be very helpful. :?

·
Registered
300 Posts
breaking it in

i have used this method on every engine that i have rebuilt and have had a seat of the pants feel that it works . a customer came to me with his 93 zx 11 sport bike and it ran like a big bag of doo doo . i honed the cylinders replaced the rings and i broke it in using the directions within the link i post and it nearly tore my arms off. obviously just re ringing an engine will improve it but this always seems more if i break it in then letting them break it in ..maybe its just me but i think the theory is very accurate..
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
If I remember correctly, the owners manual states: No hard acceleration for the first 300 miles.
I picked mine up on a Mon. evening and the following Thurs. morning we were in Mich. Just as my odometer read 300 miles I pulled out in the left lane, shifted down to 3rd gear and then gave it all it had thru 5th gear. When I looked down the speedo read 125 MPH. That has been the one and only time I did that. I do not intend to do it again. It was so fast and awesome :D :D :D :D . There were six of us on a 4 lane diveded highway with no other traffic but us.
On my own I had the first oil change done at 1200 miles cause the next trip was out west and I did not want to run the first oil change over 4500 miles.

·
Registered
824 Posts
For both of my 1500's and now my 1800, I got on the bike and took off and rode them like I planned on riding them all the time. Sometimes hard, sometimes soft. Put 50,000 on each of the 1500's and have 17,000 on the 1800 now and never had any engine problems and never used any oil between oil changes at 5,000. On the 1800, I changed oil at 1000, 5000, 10000 and so on. Won't go into oil choice except to say that I use a mixture of fossil and synthetic 50/50. Works for me!

Ride and enjoy! :eek:w1: :ic1:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'd follow the procedure that the owner's manual recommends. Honda probably knows best with such a procedure.

"Help assure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 300 miles.

During this period, avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration."

That's it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,

Just read a very interesting article on break in. Go to Google, punch in Motoman Engine Break in. It's a real eye opener. Ironicly, it's how I've broken in most of my vehicles over the years. But the "after the first 20 miles change oil", is something that I find now, makes perfect sense.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
my dealer told me that there was no correct way to ride it for a breakin period, except dont keep it at one steady speed for the first few hundred miles. they suggested not to use the cruise for that period.

i took delivery during the cold weather and the 700 miles i have on it were short runs and variable speeds and conditions. cant wait for spring to give it a real try out.

loren

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow Jake4440......didn't see your post my friend.....but that's the site. Mighty interesting and you have living proof it works.

·
Registered
446 Posts
OK Gerald, here is my 2 cents worth along with 15 years in the car business. These Japenease engines are not the same composition as American engines. Yes, in the early days we were taught to take it real easy and gradually increase in speed and acceleration to break in an engine. But these engines demand a different approach.

The proper way to break in one of these engines is to drive it the way you will drive the rest of its life. It will develop a "personality" just like you. If you drive it hard, it will perform hard, if you drive it timidly, it will be timid. As long as you exercise a complete and routine lubrication program, you will not do damage to the engine componets. Orange Bandit 4 is correct.

As far as the Owner's manual is concerened; remember, Owner's manuals are written for the "lowest level of intelligence" so that they include all of the people.

Enjoy your new ride, and ride it like you love it! It is there to work for you!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
break in

Having a friend that is a Honda Certified mechanic for 20 years I asked him the same question when I bought my first Honda, he said it's a Honda, not a Harley, ride it like you are going to ride it, no restrictions.
I have done this with evey one since 1969 and have never blown one up nor seen it need an overhaul except for the 1971 cb750 four which we turned into a chopper and had it bored to .30 oversize on purpose.

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts