GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, I told you about an acquaintence who was going to be getting a new GL1800 at the end of the month. Now, he's waffling. Apparently, he found an incredible deal on a brand-new Harley full dresser, for only $3000 more than the Wing.

I told him I honestly thought he'd be making a big mistake if he didn't at least ride an 1800 before making his final decision. I also told him that if he got the Harley, I personally wouldn't trade bikes with him.

So, what would you say to this guy?

John in Vegas

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
we are not our friends keepers.

he must have the harley fever, comes with a tshirt and masses of public opinion. like many things, popular doesnt mean correct. i am often on the lesser side of the majority, however i am usually on the side of correct.

he must like the idea of a harley, not much will change that. only a little time on one or rather at the shop waiting for it to be finished again.

loren

·
Registered
268 Posts
Honda 1800 / Harley

Best thing I can think of is to let him ride the Honda, it will sell its self. If he still wants a Harley, well there just isn't an explanation for everything.
Take Care George

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Remind him the Goldwing IS made in
America. :flg:

We all love the power. I like the sleekness
factor, which I don't feel the v-twins have.

He must be single, needing the cool factor?
He needs to get in touch with his more
practical side.

·
Registered
810 Posts
At least ride the GL1800

I think the Harley Ultra Glide I believe it's called, is a beautiful bike. If my budget allowed it, I'd own one because they are motorcycle history and no matter who loves the GL1800 here, the Harley is a nice bike.

It is, however, NOT a GL1800. Nothing on the road is going to touch it. Not Harley, not BMW, not Yamaha, no one.

I too wanted a Harley, a Road King. Then one fine day in January I was in Shreveport, LA., where the kind gentlemen there let me test drive the GL1800. I took it out and down to a semi-highway were I could kick it in to 60-70 without a problem. I was scared to death of the weight and found it to be so well balanced it handled easier than my 1100 Spirit.

I think there is a specific point that you test drive this bike that "it hits you". For me, it was travelling behind a slow moving car at 60 mph. A car was coming up on both of us. I hit the throttle to accelerate. I didn't down shift, I just hit it and whoosh!

The smile that stretched from ear to ear was unlike anything I had experienced, well, except was I was about 17. 8)

Tell him to at least ride the wing. Give it a good ride. Something that will give him acceleration and also turns. Then, after that, it's his call, just respect him for it, he's your friend!

·
Registered
237 Posts
bike

So whats the big deal. Its "HIS" money and he is the only one he has to satisfy. If he wants a HD, thats his business. I don't understand why anyone else should try to convince him to buy other than what he wants. I'm lucky to have the best of both worlds. I have a 2002 IB Wing and a 2003 HD Road King Classic. And I ride both bikes with as much zest as I can. They both have their good points and bad points. Its an individuals choice to what he/she rides. And as long as they are riding, isn't that what really counts. JMHO!!!! PS: I also wave to all bike riders, no matter what brand/style. : "Flame suit is on, go ahead an let me have it. :roll:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments so far.

Look, I'm not trying to start another Harley-bashing session. The guy has owned Harleys before, though not for about ten years I think. I think he's mostly being sucked in by the Harley mystique, and perhaps has fallen prey to the Jap-crap nonsense we've all heard ad nauseum.

I'm not trying to tell him how to run his life. I'm just trying to steer him toward what seems to me to be the wisest choice.

John in Vegas

G

·
0 Posts
Re: bike

EarlyBird said:
So whats the big deal. Its "HIS" money and he is the only one he has to satisfy. If he wants a HD, thats his business. I don't understand why anyone else should try to convince him to buy other than what he wants. I'm lucky to have the best of both worlds. I have a 2002 IB Wing and a 2003 HD Road King Classic. And I ride both bikes with as much zest as I can. They both have their good points and bad points. Its an individuals choice to what he/she rides. And as long as they are riding, isn't that what really counts. JMHO!!!! PS: I also wave to all bike riders, no matter what brand/style. : "Flame suit is on, go ahead an let me have it. :roll:
No flame. I 100% agree with you. I can't understand where it's written that we have to convince our friends to buy bikes like ours. "Now all of y'all listen here...I own a Pontiac Grand Prix and a Pontiac Grand Am. You'd be crazy to buy anything other than a Pontiac." Sounds kind of silly doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yep for sure you can't tell him what to do. But tell him, if you want a Harley ? More power to you. All I ask is you take the wing for a ride. Then it's all up to him, it's his money. If he wants to blow it on a Harley ?
Thats his fault ! You can lead em to water but you can't make em drink !

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
I wouldn't say anything. No recommendation from me, so you can't blame me either way. :D

Let him buy what he "thinks" he wants. He won't be happy if he doesn't. Let him buy the HD and try to keep up with you. After you have dusted him a few times, he will realize what he has. I think they have tons more character than a Wing. The only problem is, that is where it ends. :(

Silence Is Golden :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: bike

JJ Cobb said:
I can't understand where it's written that we have to convince our friends to buy bikes like ours. "Now all of y'all listen here...I own a Pontiac Grand Prix and a Pontiac Grand Am. You'd be crazy to buy anything other than a Pontiac." Sounds kind of silly doesn't it?
Man, I'm just not getting through. Maybe I should just stop tryin'! My point is, I like the Gold Wing, and I strongly suspect my friend will too, if he just gives it a try. I'd like to see my friend with the same stupid grin that I have after every single stinkin' ride, that's all. I see tons of people out there riding Harleys, and I don't think it's because they've all done extensive comparison shopping and have decided Harley's the best. I think there's a huge herd mentality out there. If my friend wants a Harley, that's fine.

I've had other friends who've bought other bikes, and ended up with Wings after they rode one. I'd like to keep this guy from wasting a little hard-earned cash. Sorry if that makes me some kind of motorcycle Nazi!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
If he hasn't ridden an 1800 yet,have you considered letting him take yours for a spin?

If,after he's ridden a few miles, he thinks he still wants a Harley,at least you can say you tried to convince him

G

·
0 Posts
John, have you offered to let him try your 1800?
That would satisfy your desire to have him at least try it on.
Can't do any more than that. :roll:

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
SOT.....I just won't recommend anything unless they ask. I surely won't try to sway them one way or the other. They/He needs and wants the Harley experience.

Harley has 60% of the over 600cc market. They are doing something right with that market share. Most people that ride them, love them. I'd have a Ultra in a heartbeat if I didn't do 25-30,000 miles a year!

I have a friend that asked me a million questions about the Wing. He thought it was a old man's bike. He went and bought a new 1200LT last year. I tear him a new you know what everytime we ride together. Now he is talking about getting a "Station Wagon" like mine! LOL....

Most of us that owns a Wing enjoys them, but it's not for everyone. It has some strong points and I still think it is butt ugly. I haven't liked looking at a Wing since '87. Some people have to learn through the proper channels and expense about what they want.

If he does buy a Harley it won't be the end of his world! LOL....

·
Registered
274 Posts
In my opinion you're trying to do your best to help your friend.
And, That's enough in my book...
Don't push Wing more on him.

The rest is up to him. As you mentioned this is not going to be his first Harley if he decides to buy another one.

If he had a HD ten years ago and still wants to have another one it means he liked what he had before.

After all making him buy a bike and become your riding buddy is ENOUGH SUCCESS for you to be happy.
Who cares what he rides as long as it makes him happy.
Ride with him, Ride safely and share the pleasure of his friendship, even if you do not share his joy about the choice of his MC Brand...

·
Registered
229 Posts
If he won't even ride your Wing, he obviously doesn't care about the quality and features of the motorcycle. Let him buy the Harley, he'll be happy with it as long as he never rides a Wing. If you want to be nasty, talk him into riding your Wing after he buys the Harley, then watch him cry. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I haven't even read the other 17 replies to this thread, but I am sure most of them say the same thing I will.

Tell him to ride one. That'll be his doom.

Unless he is just in the market for a piece of butt jewlery. Then tell him to get the hog and have fun trying to keep up! :eek:4:

$3000 will buy a lotta chrome dog poop!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow...not really anything different to say than the other gentlemen. I would let your friend do as he wishes. If he was a bud of mine I would atleast make the suggestion of: you owe it to yourself to ride both so you can make an educated decision.
As far as the price, I now have OVER $6000.00 worth of goodies on my wing....(I'm not bragging, actually I was kinda upset with myself for spending this much!) add this to the base price and it's pretty darn close to the price of a Harley.
I have some very good friends who ride Harley's, good people, great riders. Some folks just want a Harley. I may have one someday. BUT...when I take the long rides...the six thousand miles in 13 days rides....I will be on the wing. Why? Performance of the wing, and while reliability of Harley has greatly improved, I would be more apt to put my trust in the Wing. I have run the wing for hours at 90+ mph (New Mexico and Montana), can a Harley do this...maybe it can...but I would rather have liquid cooled to do this than air cooled. But then your bud may never have the desire to ride like this...I, on the other hand GOTTA RIDE LIKE THIS.
I have had a LOT of compliments on my Wing....even the dealer where I bought it came up to me to compliment the bike (he forgot he was the one who sold it to me!)...point being, dosen't matter what you ride (Harley or a Wing)...you can make it look great...it just takes a little $$$$ a lot of waxing....some TLC...and of course...the right color to begin with..................black!
See Ya
Dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts