GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just installed a brand new OEM CB radio on my 03 GL1800. After completing the install, lo and behold everything works! I do have one question though. Many years ago I had a CB in a car that gave me a few miles range,(the CB, not the car) at least 4 or 5 miles. I am finding as I go out on rides with our group I am not even getting one mile range. I did not check the antenna with an SWR meter, when I put the antenna together I just pushed the top portion all the way into the bottom portion and tightened up the little set screw. I realize that the length of the antenna is much more important in transmitting than receiving but I am not receiving any further than transmitting. Has anyone had any better experience/range with this CB? Will adjusting it with an SWR meter make any significant difference? I am wintering in Davenport Fl and left my SWR meter at home in PEI. Very grateful for any help I receive on this. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
A motorcycle does not provide a very good platform for a CB. I have found that three to four miles under ideal conditions is maximum range. To be one to two miles apart in a group ride , with some of the group hanging way back due to a separation in traffic, and a leader who has no sense, many times I loose reception with those only a mile away, especially in town.

I think it is just what it is. No solution, they are very short range.

Kit

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey guys, I just installed a brand new OEM CB radio on my 03 GL1800. After completing the install, lo and behold everything works! I do have one question though. Many years ago I had a CB in a car that gave me a few miles range,(the CB, not the car) at least 4 or 5 miles. I am finding as I go out on rides with our group I am not even getting one mile range. I did not check the antenna with an SWR meter, when I put the antenna together I just pushed the top portion all the way into the bottom portion and tightened up the little set screw. I realize that the length of the antenna is much more important in transmitting than receiving but I am not receiving any further than transmitting. Has anyone had any better experience/range with this CB? Will adjusting it with an SWR meter make any significant difference? I am wintering in Davenport Fl and left my SWR meter at home in PEI. Very grateful for any help I receive on this. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.
I'm not a CB expert, but about a mile, maybe a little more is about all I get, from what I hear, that's about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The antenna
MUST be tuned, it is the single most important part of a CB install on anything I'm a Ham Radio operator and my Radio works about 5 miles perfectly,
you need specail connections to do this with a wing a winger or group in youe r area probably has them already a lot of Gold Wing Chapters buy them to do everyones
Sierra sells about the best ones I've found
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-SWR12
Sierra electronics
http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp

problem is you get yours set and working great most people you ride with don't
the best way to go is a handheld GMRS/FMRS Radio perfect FM transmission but you both or all have to ahve it works miles away crystal clear, here are like what I got but also have the worhtless CB
http://www.exava.com/shop?q=midland+gxt850+gmrs+radio&pid=211551912&bskuid=733694816

these little FM Radios work better then a cb ever will and come with chargers and headsets I put it in my shirt pocket, just some thoughts for you

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Wife and I have the Sierra antenna's on both bikes, and the bikes are set up the same. I'd say 2 to 2.5 miles is about the max we've gotten out of range.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In the wide open spaces can just reach 2 miles, in town or in hills a mile at best. I did find that tuning the antenna did help, but not much.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
My antennae is not tuned, but I usually get about 1 or 2 mile range. But, a couple of weeks ago, I reached a trucker that was about 6 - 8 miles away! Surprised the heck out of me!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tuned my antenna, had a friend check it and I get about 1 mile range out of the Honda CB. On an exceptional day maybe 1.5 miles. You are getting as good as it gets!

·
Registered
466 Posts
The biggest problem with the GL, IMO, is the very limited ground plane that the antenna needs to get longer ranges.

I typically get 1-2 miles, less in hills, or if the other CB is on low power. SWR affects transmit range far more than reception. The fact that truckers can contact over longer ranges is due to higher antennas, bigger and better ground planes, possibly a better quality CB, and probably a footwarmer [amp].

·
Registered
45 Posts
Installed mine and set the SW. Had to trim the antennae a bit to get it right. Could talk to my father at around 3 miles clear have not had the opportunity to find out limits.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't even have a CB on my bike, but I used to be into the CB world back in the 60's really heavy. The antenna is the prime thing which will give you range. Here is a suggestion and mind you only a suggestion, since I dont have a CB to try it. Cut a piece of sheet metal that will fit into your trunk. Tie the ground from the antenna to it. Also make sure that you have a good ground to the frame of the bike. Hopefully this will give a better ground plane for the antenna and thus increase your range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lucky to get a mile range. Typically the range is 1/2 to 3/4 mile. I also noticed that when riding with groups the HD CB's seem to have a clearer reception. Has anyone else noticed that?:wrong:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Lucky to get a mile range. Typically the range is 1/2 to 3/4 mile. I also noticed that when riding with groups the HD CB's seem to have a clearer reception. Has anyone else noticed that?:wrong:
I've noticed just the opposite when trying to understand what a Harley rider is saying. All kinds of static in their CB systems. But then again, most Harley Ultra Classic riders don't use the CB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I remember correctly if you do not get the SWR low, it will effect your range, but is not good for the CB unit it could burn up the final drive(ampifier).

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
from other Honda CBers= 1 mile

other CBs up to 10 miles

this has been my experience

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
cycledude and i have talked 8 miles on flat interstate, we got seperated a bit

i would say range is normaly 2-3 miles

here in the arkansas ozarks, the mountains can cut that down a lot

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had ours tuned last summer with a little improvement but other than that 2 to 3 miles is about all we can expect. A lot depends on the type of terrain and if there is a lot of skip rolling in from afar.

Destance is n ot a real problem since my wife and i areusually tucked into the middle of our group somewhere

sure is handy when in heavy traffic and the group gets spread out a bit at lights and stuff.

Good riding

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep. I can hear my buddy's Ultra CB long before he can hear me.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...> Many years ago I had a CB in a car that gave me a few miles range,(the CB, not the car) at least 4 or 5 miles. I am finding as I go out on rides with our group I am not even getting one mile range. <...> Has anyone had any better experience/range with this CB? Will adjusting it with an SWR meter make any significant difference? <...>
The answers thus far are spot-on what is 'typical' ranges.

Bike-to-CB base station was 5 - 7 miles without much difficulty. The radio should 'get out' line of sight without a great deal of difficulty (If you can see 'em, you can talk to them)

My bro-in-law on his 1500 and I were able to do three miles nearly line-of-sight with a bit of difficulty.

Adjusting the antenna could help; it's hard to say.

Hope that helped.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts