GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend while out on a ride our group pulled of to the side of the road. After down shifting some strange things happened on my 2006 GL1800. First the Reverse Light came on and started blinking. Pushing the Reverse button would not reset the light. Second was that the Neutral light would not come on even though I was in neutral. Third once I started riding again the cruise control would not set. The scary part was the thought of an error that would cause a safety issue. I stopped, turned off the ignition and then back on. Everything went back to normal but I closely watched for more oddities as I rode the rest of the day. Fortunately everything worked as expected. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Was it raining? Damp day? Just wash the bike? I washed my bike once with wife and she sprayed the hell out of it. It acted like that for my next ride but fixed itself after a ten mile jaunt and turning it off and back on. never came back.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've had problems with my reverse not kicking in. Seems lack of use was the problem. I now use it every day to back out of the garage. Haven't had any more problems.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Fred H. said:
Remove the RIGHT chrome cover over the oil filler and pull the rubber boot off this wire and make sure the nut is tight.

If this wire is loose it will cause the reverse light to blink and other problems as well, including a no-start situation.

Fred must've been thinking about the Wing he was riding 'down under'. I changed it to the right side. Good tip, Fred.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Computer Error

Fred:
Thanks as that sounds like it may be related. Our group had to come to a rather quick stop so I was down shifting at some higher speeds than I normally do and heard some "clunks" in doing so. Maybe that was enough to cause an intermittent connection of the wire you referenced. By the way which is correct right or left side?

In answer to the other suggestions..........No, the bike has never seen water and it was a perfect day for riding so there were no environmental factors.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Re: Computer Error

XVTX said:
Fred:
By the way which is correct right or left side?
Right side. Remove the chrome cover and look just above the oil filler for a rubber boot. Pull the boot back and check that the nut is tight on the wire, but don't overtighten it, as the stud is made out of brass. Just make sure it is snug.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I concur with Fred's suggestion. If that doesn't fix it then my second guess would be the grounds under the gas tank. Much harder to check, but also prone to cause problems.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me last summer on vacation. Some how I had managed to push the reverse button on the right handlebar while riding. After pushing the reverse button again, the light continued to blink until I pulled over and turned the ignition off and back on. I'm guessing that it is a safety thing so you cannot put the bike in reverse while riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts