GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's my coolant is low I want to add some , does regular antifreeze coolant for car ( prestone ) pre mix work good on the GL1800 ?

thank you every one

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I personally would stick with the Honda coolant!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
When I change the coolant I use the Honda stuff in the quart bottles sold at the dealer.
Next change I'm going to go to the Honda car dealer and try their premix.
I'm told the only difference is the car stuff is blue instead of green.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
When I change the coolant I use the Honda stuff in the quart bottles sold at the dealer.
Next change I'm going to go to the Honda car dealer and try their premix.
I'm told the only difference is the car stuff is blue instead of green.

Bought 4 qts. yesterday at the dealer...$28 (Gallon).:eek:4:
Surely the car dealer 1 gallon jug is not that high and as long as it is just as good, color does not matter.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Last time I used Prestone 50/50.

I kept waiting for the wheels to fall of or my insurance agent to call and tell me "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

So far the phone hasn't rung and the wheels are still on.

YMMV

·
Registered
246 Posts
Buy a gallon of the Prestone concentrate and a gallon of distilled water, two gallons of coolant for about ten bucks! Been using it for years no problem. No Silicates, no Bromates, the Honda stuff is a clown rip off!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Silicate Free?????
I copied this off of their website:
Q: Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A: Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Extended Life 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.
* DEX-COOL® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I also use the Honda coolant in the quart containers but always wondered if there really is a difference between the expensive Honda stuff and Prestone.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Prestone does make a motorcycle specific antifreeze but I can't seem to find anyone local that sells it. I can't even post the picture of the product because the format isn't compatible with this site. Just google prestone products and it's on their website I think under a powersports tab or selection. What differs from the car coolant and powersports coolant is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Prestone does make a motorcycle specific antifreeze but I can't seem to find anyone local that sells it. I can't even post the picture of the product because the format isn't compatible with this site. Just google prestone products and it's on their website I think under a powersports tab or selection. What differs from the car coolant and powersports coolant is anyone's guess.
Here is a pic, but the Prestone site provides no specs on the product...like does it contain silicates, borates, etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here is a pic, but the Prestone site provides no specs on the product...like does it contain silicates, borates, etc.
Yes, that's it, thanks for posting the pic! I need to do the photo bucket thing. I really want to find a jug of this and see how it differs from cage antifreeze. Probably the same stuff relabeled and with a higher price tag? I really don't care for anything premixed though. What I normally do is drain old antifreeze then thoroughly flush system and using system capacity, fill with half antifreeze and top off with distilled water, DONE! Always the right mix ratio even if a little water remains from flushing. Oh, and don't forget to rinse and refill overflow tank. I use Prestone and never a problem.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I might be mistaken but I think the last gallon I bought at honda car dealer was $18.
I haven't checked yet. Is there only one flavor of coolant at a Honda dealer?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Where is the Honda coolant plant located/manufactured?????
I have no clue on that. What makes the difference is the ingredients. For all I know all coolant could be made at one or two plants under different names and specifications!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
just a thought, might want to check around and see if you can figure why your coolant was low. I used the honda coolant in the quart bottles when i serviced ours during the winter. First time I changed the coolant in our bike at 84k. I know it was a long time overdue. It was not low when i changed it and it was really green. probably mold. LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts