GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings my fellow riders, I am desperatly seeking advice on an issue on my 2008 GL1800.
The engine runs very rough and dies in the rain.
And it will not start again until it dries off.

This is far from what I expected from such a fine piece of machinery.
Does anyone have any ideas what to look for?

Is the kill switch have an issue with water?
Would that cause rough runnin like several cylinders not firing?

HELP!! I am a full time rider in East Tennessee where winter is not all that bad.....

Michael

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
To test the kill switch, when it is running, rock it front to rear and side to side. It should only kill the motor if it is rotated to the off position.

How many miles on the Wings? To me this does not sound like a kill switch problem because of the running rough.

Try cleaning and tightening your battery connections. If you are in route and traveling, remove all connections to the battery terminal except the large OEM pos and neg connector.

I sent you a PM with my phone number, I am up.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Check your first post on this problem and you'll see plenty of qualified folks are ready and willing to help you out. They're all just waiting to hear back from you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I rode from Utah to Yosemite, to Bakersfield, through El Paso, all the way back to Atlanta, Georgia in a soaker that gave me only an hour of dry riding last fall. Worst ride of the last few years. My riding boots fell apart in Louisiana sitting at a red light! Waterlogged.

However, my bike never showed any sign it was raining.

I'd start by checking the spark plug wires. They need to be dry otherwise the high voltage, low current spark wires can be easily re-routed to ground other than the plugs. Check for water in the gas too. I try not to refill in the rain for that reason. Somewhere on the bike there's a distributor of some kind (I've never really thought about mine! Dunno where it is!) It may be wet too.

Engine computer may have a bad ground, or any of the ignition parts could also suffer that. I know for a fact that the kill switch is a super simple device, just pushes two flexible metal tabs together, but like my CB PTT switch, it can give intermittent connections if it dries out and starts to oxidize. I R&R my CB PTT and the other switches and coated them with grease and no problems since.

Sorry to hear about this problem, must be frustrating, but it's not a design problem with the bike, I'm sure of that. My bike has 90K on it, and nary a glitch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear about this problem, must be frustrating, but it's not a design problem with the bike, I'm sure of that. My bike has 90K on it, and nary a glitch.
I'd have to say the same. I ride in a lot of rain and have never had an issue so far. 80,000 miles on my 04. Has your bike had any major work done to it that would have required disconnecting quite a few of the connectors. If so they may not have seated some of them well and you could be getting water into them causing the ecm not to work properly.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Don't know what the exact culprit is, but it's not the kill switch. A bad kill switch can cause the bike to die, but it won't kill the ignition and let the engine crank at the same time. The 1500s would crank the engine with the kill switch off, but the 1800 won't because of the way Honda decided to use it to kill the ECM, fuel pump, and the starter circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts