GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
If I'm reading this right - roughly 4 additional horsepower and 3 ftlb of torque gain?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
What are the chances this will leave you stranded? I've had my Valkyrie leave me cold but since I was wise (rare) I carried my original with control module with me so it was a simple swap to get going again. My Prairie did it once to but I again with the lesson learned from the Valk had my OEM in tow or it would have been a long hike out of the wilderness.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Don told me he is staying on the conservative side of the tuning because He knows I am heading out within a couple of weeks for a 3600 miles quick trip.. And I will let him know the results in seat of the pants results gas mileage and this trip wil be from texas heat to Wisconsin cold relatively lightly loaded( just an empty cargo traileron way to texas to having a Honda CT90 on it up to Wisconsin then back home to Maryland with as many of Rails cookies as I can sneak out with

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don told me he is staying on the conservative side of the tuning because He knows I am heading out within a couple of weeks for a 3600 miles quick trip.. And I will let him know the results in seat of the pants results gas mileage and this trip wil be from texas heat to Wisconsin cold relatively lightly loaded( just an empty cargo traileron way to texas to having a Honda CT90 on it up to Wisconsin then back home to Maryland with as many of Rails cookies as I can sneak out with
This is great fine and dandy on more horse power but........I thought the reason for the reprogramming was to fix the cold stumble problems we have.So do you or did you have this issue and did it change?

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great fine and dandy on more horse power but........I thought the reason for the reprogramming was to fix the cold stumble problems we have.So do you or did you have this issue and did it change?
He already has a tune to fix the cold start stumble.

The one he is working on now is to increase power, and possibly gas mileage at the same time.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I would be interested in knowing if it will cause any more of a problem with overheating at slower speeds.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
When I dropped my bike off Thursday morning it was about 38 degrees and was not expected to any warmer Friday which was when he started work on it.. He was warned by me that if he actually tried to ride it around to whereever the dyno is to be ready to catch the stumble on takle off since Don has the same problem I do vertically challenged. he told me that got fixed the minute he did the basic adjustment ,, now he is going for the cream!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'm just very happy someone is taking the time to experiment on this with the GL1800 - :thumbup:

Keep up the flow of information :thumbup:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice gain for not even messing with ignition timing! I think these motors have a lot of untapped potential in them, just got to find the right combination to do it. The right intake, exhaust & remap will make a huge difference. My 09 Vmax was 176hp/115tq stock. Velocity stacks with K&Ns, cat removed and a Holeshot exhaust & ECU reflashed it put down 197hp/126tq. This big 6 with similar mods and a map for 93 octane should make some very impressive numbers!

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
What are the chances this will leave you stranded? I've had my Valkyrie leave me cold but since I was wise (rare) I carried my original with control module with me so it was a simple swap to get going again. My Prairie did it once to but I again with the lesson learned from the Valk had my OEM in tow or it would have been a long hike out of the wilderness.
Wow something like that could really be a deal breaker !!! I sure hope nothing like that ever happens with any GL1800

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
This is why I wanted to go this route instead of the aftermarket cut the wires and tap in type setup with an power commander... This is the factory computer just updated by DON

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
This is why I wanted to go this route instead of the aftermarket cut the wires and tap in type setup with an power commander... This is the factory computer just updated by DON
Power Commanders have not required cutting/tapping of any wires for several years. You unplug the factory ECM and plug the PC into its male/female connectors.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Here is a look at the first pass after retuning and reflashing the ECM on the dyno. More tuning work remains, and I suspect more gains will be made in addition to this, since the ignition timing hasn't even been touched yet.

What year bike is this?
..06-10 or 12 and newer?
(rumor has it that 12 and up are slower than 10 and earlier is the reason I'm asking)

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
kniterider rides the test bike, believe it to be a 2005, but I'm sure. He will come up and let us know.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
It is a 2012 with 29500 miles on it Completely stock no exhaust mods no intake mods,,,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Any chance we can get a look at the original map???
I'd love to see what kind of detail they use.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Its way out of my hands My bike is 140 miles away.I get my info from Don about how he feels about what he trying and how soon I can pick it up Which right now is scheduled for Friday morning at 0900

·
Registered
617 Posts
Map

Hey Fred,
When he gets to testing timing changes, he may want to try with standard 87 octane and then rerun using 89 octane. That may allow a little more increase.

Rick

1 - 20 of 69 Posts