GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday

Just wondering what is normal lifespan for forkseals on an 08. Is it labour intensive? What's a fair price to get them done?

Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
No expert me thinks 10000 miles is recommended service????.. Just had mine rebuilt and cost was around $300. Last serviced about 35000 miles ago and was having no problems but fork leaks are no good. Now, I should be good to go on fall trips planned.

. About $ 200 of the total was labor

·
Administrator
4,580 Posts
G'day.
If you've got more time than money, it's been rumored that a certain sponsor here has a CD set that clearly takes you through the process.

Basic mechanical aptitude, along with easy-to-follow instructions, make this maintenance pretty simple, plus you have a better understanding of your bike, PLUS you know it was done right.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you do it yourself you will need a few tools which can be bought easily for the price of the labor for a shop to do it. You can also buy the DVD'S like I just did.
I have had fork seals last for 80,000 miles or more and then some for 50,000 miles. Sometimes they just need cleaning if some gunk gets caught in them. There is a thin plastic tool that you can buy to do this. Works quite well. Your fork oil needs to be changed out on average every two years if you ride a decent amount. So buying the tools and DVDs saves you money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you are just having some seepage of fork oil, try looking into a tool called sealmate and it is simple enough to make yourself. Sometimes the problem is just grunge that accumulates between the fork leg and seals. By using the sealmate or similar, it can clean out the grunge and stop the seepage.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you are just having some seepage of fork oil, try looking into a tool called sealmate and it is simple enough to make yourself. Sometimes the problem is just grunge that accumulates between the fork leg and seals. By using the sealmate or similar, it can clean out the grunge and stop the seepage.

I had a issue with junk stuck in my fork seal and a minor leak by of fork oil on my 1500, I made a seal cleaning tool out of a 1” metal blind that has the curved radius and worked like a charm.
(Designed similar to the sealmate)
Obviously you want to be careful how you work the tool around your seals.
Now on the 1800, so far I have keep a good eye looking out for bugs and stuff getting stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
Issue to me not so much seals but the bushings wear out which in turn wear out the tubes !! Imop would do at least every 50,000 minimum !!! Change oil - bushings - seals . Redid my springs also - 48,000

Reactions: Way2Cool

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts

LOL

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
332 Posts
On my 08 left seal started seeping around 47,000 miles, anti dive was disconnected used a sealmate tool and stopped leaking for a while. This past winter now at 52,000 miles stripped down the forks and cleaned everything took the tubes to the dealer and they pressed in the new bushings for me for $10 labor. I’m a happy camper!!!

Reactions: Way2Cool

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I had progressive springs/seals replaced about the 50,000 mark. I have 184,000 now and still going with the seals installed back at the 50,000 mark. Oh yes mine is an 08 also

1 - 11 of 11 Posts