GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: Just before Christmas my dealer called to say that his chosen welder ( who has done several other frame welds with no problems ) refused to weld mine as he had determined that the frame castings are POUROUS and thus his decision to return my bike to my dealer. I understand that Honda wants the bike returned to Marysville. Not for welding but a REPLACEMENT of the frame. I understand that other GL1800's have been returned to Marysville, not because their dealer couldn't locate a certified aluminum welder and thus the welding would be done at the factory, but because other POUROUS castings showed up and Honda wanted to replace the frames at the factory. I paid for a new bike and think I should get a new bike. If I had financed this bike, possibly I could work with the finance company and refuse to pay for defective merchandise. My General Motors source tells me that if this were a GM problem vehicle, the vehicle would be replaced, not torn apart and rebuilt.

These GL1800 frame castings come from a supplier and only the welding had been done in Marysville. Originally there were three weld operations, some Robotic others manually. Someone at Honda decided that one of the steps was unnecessary and it was after that point that cracked frames started to show up. (How many of those were also the result of pourous castings we will never know.) A source tells me that Honda new they weren't getting the casting quality they had hoped from the supplier, but they are improving.

How many of us out there are have the potential for disaster while riding? What do YOU think? Would you like your bike torn apart?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Easyliving,

I know how you feel since my frame cracked on my 02 before the recall. Several people, including myself, were given new bikes while Honda was exploring the problem.

On this board you will get a miriad of opinions as the issue has been hacked to death and many just don't want to talk about it, including myself. However, there is a good discussion of this on another board where they keep statistics and have an active frame recall section. The address is:

http://www.1800goldwing.com

I believe you will find more info about this than can be digested by most of us. Good luck and I hope you come out of this as satisfied as you can.

Dan

P.S. Get ready for some more opinions.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Easy, my heart goes out to you on your existing problem, but I'm sure it will all end well. As for your GM source, all I can say is that I don't believe him for a minute, unless there has been some major changes in their policies. It has been sometime since I worked for a GM dealer but the last ten years I did it was as a service manager. I must say they made life a living hell for most people that had major problems.
But you hang in there and remember you have a pretty good support team here on the board.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Easy...
I agree with You 100 %.. I feel Honda should replace the bike.. PERIOD !!
I also think that the vast majority of owners , if the same happened to them, would expect the bike to be replaced.. What GM or Ford does has no real bearing on this... A motorcycle with these problems could mean serious injury or worse and an auto probably wouldn't.....
Good Luck ,
Ron
Spokane

·
Registered
533 Posts
Easy,
Good info above, in that most of us have been living this recall misery for months, first with the ECMs and engine heads (both replaced on my 1800) and now the frame issue.

Mine has been torn apart.....
When my 1800 was striped and turned on its side, the crack was bad enough to have the bike shipped back to the factory. I was hoping for a new frame, but got a factory re-weld instead. I think that this was a pretty good solution and a new frame would be even better. A new bike would have been nice, but would it have been better?

I don't think that the GM example is relevant in that replacing a frame on an automobile is a very different case. The customer service aspect might be relevant, and Honda has been slow to address problems, but then does a decent job. Dealers are all over the place, from lousy to excellent.

The nature of the frame failures seems to be non-life threatening, and if this remains to be the case, we have Honda by the short hairs for a long time in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts